Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Dream Grocery Store page

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member

Your Dream Grocery Store

The Paleo Lifestyle Magazine facebook page mentioned that he'd like a paleo grocery store . . . which got me thinking - what would your dream grocery store look like?

Mine would be a lot like the Natural Grocer's down the road from me, but with a few tweeks . . . they do a great job in providing grain free essentials - but not all (for instance, they don't have coconut aminos or blanched almond flour) . . . they're my favorite place to shop - but if I had my dream grocery it would also have:

• A large produce section with an emphasis on seasonal and regional produce
    • A butcher that sold tallow and lard and cuts of pastured meats - and wild caught fish and roe, etc.
    • A wine and cheese section of raw, traditional cheeses and gluten free wines and spirits a
    • A deli/bakery that had prepared items - like paleo cookies, muffins, cakes and tortillas as well as pre-assembled meals like salads, wraps and roast chickens - all paleo of course - and not loaded with the preservatives necessary to make them shelf stable - just made fresh each day to be bought a la carte
    • A pharmacy and beauty section with FCLO and butter oil blends, high end probiotics and all-natural, gluten free beauty products like coconut oil and beet lip stain and primal pit paste

What would your dream grocery store have?
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Foraged veg, like nettles & things, and unusual berries, things I don't have the time or knowledge to seek out myself, would be awesome!

little vase is offline Senior Member
    More products that do at least double duty (for example, they can be applied topically as medicine and also used to flavor food) like raw local honey, powdered spices, fresh and dried herbs.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    • For the stuff that has a higher quality equivalent, that is what would be taking up aisle space.
    • For the stuff that has no such high quality equivalent, it would be gone, so the store would be much smaller without a soda aisle, a chip aisle, a frozen dinner aisle, etc.
    • They would have everything there I have to send away for now.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    ABSOLUTELY. NO. SOY.

Except for fermented stuff, like miso and tamari.

Biggest frustration with "health food" stores - so much soy, everywhere. Ugh. Makes my boobies hurt just walking around there.

But seriously, in addition to the above, like lard at the meat counter, more of the good staples. Ghee, boxed coconut cream, frozen kale, those sorts of things.

And household staples, like baking soda and borax and epsom salt. I hate having to stop at WalMart just to clean my body and my house without poisoning myself or spending an arm and a leg.

Kits to helps newbies learn how to ferment things. Sell live whey and kefir grains.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    • A store that doesn't cater to vegetarians more than it does to omnivores.
    • A sunshine policy - no using the word "natural," as it means nothing. Same with squishy terms like "cage-free."
    • Meats and fish that are labelled with where they were sourced - I've purchased NZ beef, so I'm not a total fanatic on the locavore thing, but there are countries I'd rather not support.
    • BPA-free cans, or your product has to be in different packaging.
    • Wild and farm indicated on all fish/seafood. There are a few things that I'm happy to eat farmed, but for the most part, I'm a wild seafood girl.
    • Bulk products - if I want cashews for one dish, I don't want to have to buy a twelve ounce or one pound package.
    • Organic spices.
    • Organic everything that is produce.
    • Olive oil with a provenance.
    • Absolutely no GMOs.

But hey, I'm happy to spend 70%+ of my food budget online and another 10-15% at the farmers markets if the locals don't want my money.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 08-03-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    The biggest part of what made Grok, Grok, is the reality that it required significant physical effort to obtain food. So the most important feature would have to be that the store is only accessible with an extended hike or bike ride, uphill, both ways.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Some of the co-ops in my area come pretty close. I can get well-sourced meat and organs, pastured tallow and lard, less common tubers (Okinawa potatoes, burdock, lotus), produce that's twice as flavorful instead of twice as large, cocoa/coffee/tea that isn't mystery "blends", and reputable oils and spices.

Still 80% of what they stock doesn't make the cut though. Judging from the endcap promotions and prepared foods, the hippies sure love their evaporated cane juice.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Favorite grocery store would be the financial security to spend the rest of my life in the forests, hunting and gathering.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Simple: a farmer's market with seasonal foods, produced locally on sustainable farms. And, products produced from those raw materials as well (ie, the dairy might produce milk, but another person can produce cheese with that milk). I think that would be pretty ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast