Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for brown sugar in BBQ recipes? page

MprDoc is offline Senior Member

Replacement for brown sugar in BBQ recipes?

Shop Now
    Has anyone come across a replacement for brown sugar to use in everyone's favorite BBQ rubs and sauces?? I am going to smoke a pork butt but am having a hard time figuring out what to replace the brown sugar in my dry rub recipe with? Open to suggestions!

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    How much? Sugar measured by the teaspoon as a seasoning is likely harmless. You could use an unrefined one like date sugar or sucanat if you want some nutrients with it. If you're trying to minimize fructose or calories then maybe a granulated erythritol or monkfruit product.

Blackstrap molasses is nice in liquid sauce too.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    honestly id just use a good quality dark brown sugar but coconut sugar might work to?
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I come from Whole 30 land so sugar is mostly out of my vocabulary. I am just now starting to use a small amount occasionally. I do my rubs minus the sugar. Dates work great in sauces. I actually have grown to like dates as a sweetener more than sugar. Not sure why you are anti sugar, but if you are okay with it, I would use it in your rub.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I use a bit of honey because it's more primal. But a bit of sugar is okay, I just put it in my calorie counter.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Use.the.brown.sugar. or use blackstrap molasses
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

I'm just trying to watch my general carb/glucose levels. The recipe for the rub calls for a quarter cup of brown sugar but that's spread over a 9 pound piece of meat that is getting smoked for about 13 hours, I'm thinking that maybe its negligible but I'm not sure.

I was thinking about using molasses in the sauce, I have never actually used so I think curiosity is going to get the best of me.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If it's really sweet, the recipe could probably be improved simply by cutting the sugar in half. Most recipes are way sweeter than they need to be.

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    I would use coconut sugar. It tastes very much like brown sugar. It is used in a lot of the recipes in the book Primal Cravings which Mark endorses so he must be okay with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast