Page 1 of 219 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page

j3nn is online now Senior Member

Talking Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

This thread is for Primal (and non-Primal) followers who incorporate a more Ray Peat-style of eating in their Primal or non-Primal protocol. Most of us know that Ray Peat's food suggestions mostly fall under the recommendations of The Primal Blueprint, with distinctive differences in carbohydrate amounts and quantities of other types of foods, e.g., dairy and gelatin. They both recommend avoiding gluten, high-PUFA seed and vegetable oils, and other toxins. The similarities are many, enough that Peat could be considered a higher-carb Primal diet.

This thread is NOT a controversial or argumentative thread. Please refrain from making it one. This is a place for followers to share ideas about food and other health-related issues in relation to Primal and Peat, and to answer questions for those who are curious or are having problems. This is also not a thread to bash Primal! I think Peat and Primal are close enough to be considered virtually one in the same if you disregard macronutrient boundaries and customize them to your individual needs.

I eat a combination of Primal, Perfect Health Diet, and Peat. Too high in fruits + carbs to be just Primal (Peat) and too high in starches to be totally Peat (PHD). I'm currently trying to minimize dairy (not Peat). I eat macadamia nuts and salmon sometimes (not Peat). We all have personal needs and goals and these can change often, but we can all agree to minimize industrial PUFA oils and other toxic artificial sources of poor-quality energy.

How do you Peat? What is your diet like? Do you have hormonal issues? How has Peat helped you? Did you try Peat and it didn't work? Please share your experiences, and most importantly, YOUR FOOD! Post pictures and daily menus!

** Civil conversations, please **

Visit the What Did You Peat Today? thread for more Peatly food ideas.
    Last edited by j3nn; 10-08-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

If anyone is struggling with low carb, this thread might help you

Good work J3nn <3

ETA: A lot of people were asking for daily menus, so we created a thread to share what we eat on a daily basis. What did you Peat today?

J3nn also wants people to share recipes, but she forgets that we're all too lazy too cook
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-07-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

If anyone is struggling with low carb, this thread might help you

Good work J3nn <3
    YogaBare and I both have estrogen dominance and progesterone issues. This is one of the biggest reasons why Peat caught our attention. It is not a diet about "chugging soda", it's about restoring or establishing hormonal balance and the foods that encourage or hinder that.

We're a peaceful people! <3

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    I kind of did this accidentally because of the insanely warm summer here. Ate more fruit, ate more icecream and more dairy in general and it works quite well.

Especially useful as a wakeup call for someone who did vlc without any refeeds, the cold hand and feet are gone and you are generally more active again. That said i did keto with weekly refeeds before and it works just as well, only the long term no carb stuff really doesnt do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
    I kind of did this accidentally because of the insanely warm summer here. Ate more fruit, ate more icecream and more dairy in general and it works quite well.

Especially useful as a wakeup call for someone who did vlc without any refeeds, the cold hand and feet are gone and you are generally more active again. That said i did keto with weekly refeeds before and it works just as well, only the long term no carb stuff really doesnt do it for me.
    I think keto has its place and time and it can work very well. I would totally do keto now and then; I do it in my sleep every night. But seriously, I think changing things up can be beneficial. Nothing wrong with experimentation. Find your rhythm!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Ice cream.

That is all.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

I have many Peat deviations, such as: bananas, avocado once in a while; I practice IF many days; I do strenuous cardio; I don't like consuming mostly liquids, and I use black pepper and pink Himalayan salt.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    No fish or sea foods? And salt/coffee does not contain energy, so I am not sure what the division of the orange mean?
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    No fish or sea foods? And salt/coffee does not contain energy, so I am not sure what the division of the orange mean?
    I think the orange graph is incomplete. Peat is a huge fan of shellfish like oysters. Here is another chart, but keep in mind, there is no Peat diet, just recommendations so even this image doesn't cover everything.

He says tuna is fine eaten with homemade macadamia nut oil mayo. Chicken every 10 days or so. Bacon cooked in coconut oil. I think Peat can come in many variations and it's best to create your own.

GRAINS (BEST TO WORST)

Masa harina (best), white rice or oats, and brown rice. The phytic acid in the oats block absorption of much of the calcium; cooking the oats much longer than usual might improve its nutritional value. http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/...derstandi.html
    Last edited by j3nn; 10-04-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post

Sea food should be on there. It's a major part of his recommendations - unless it's salmon.

Page 1 of 219 1231151101 ... LastLast