Page 98 of 225 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast
Results 971 to 980 of 2248

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

  1. #971
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    YaY J3nn! So glad to hear

    Re. IF: I used to do that pre - Peat, when for a long while I ate all my meals within a 4 hr. window, in the afternoons.

    Now I consider coffee with milk and sugar first thing in the morning to be a break-fast. I tend to drink small meals during the first half of the day.
    I'm having easier time losing weight now, but that's more likely to the different macro ratio and the type of foods rather than my meal frequency. My calories overall are about the same as before, if not even slightly more, but very consistent.
    Completely agree. I think getting something easily digestible in you first thing in the morning is the best thing for fat loss.

  2. #972
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Definitely not every day. I am not that dedicated to anything. Some days it just happens naturally. I often wake up not hungry and get preoccupied with life. It varies from day to day, week to week. I am trying to minimize stressors but realistically, there will be some, so I choose my battles.
    I really like this. More and more I seek out point/ focused stress and avoid over time (ie chronos --> chronic) stress. Even better when point stress just happens and you let your body make it self a better version of itself in response to the stress, like your doing with IF.
    But point stress over time (chronic) with little rest is so fucking debilitating.

    So this is my view (recently formulated), I will swim in cortisol and adrenaline for a time and fucking love it, because it makes me a better person. Here's a recent example; I never liked going for a new job because it's so stressful, but I was happy to work in a less point stress but more chronic stress environment everyday. Now I'm putting myself under extreme stress trying to get a new job that will be far less stress full over time.


    Sent from my iPhone
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 09-20-2013 at 08:07 PM.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

  3. #973
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Now I consider coffee with milk and sugar first thing in the morning to be a break-fast.
    Me too! I do add some gelatin and cinnamon to mine, but its incredibly satiating.

  4. #974
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    I really like this. More and more I seek out point/ focused stress and avoid over time (ie chronos --> chronic) stress. Even better when point stress just happens and you let your body make it self a better version of itself in response to the stress, like your doing with IF.
    But point stress over time (chronic) with little rest is so fucking debilitating.

    So this is my view (recently formulated), I will swim in cortisol and adrenaline for a time and fucking love it, because it makes me a better person. Here's a recent example; I never liked going for a new job because it's so stressful, but I was happy to work in a less point stress but more chronic stress environment everyday. Now I'm putting myself under extreme stress trying to get a new job that will be far less stress full over time.


    Sent from my iPhone
    Either that theory or every extra stress you willingly add will chip away that much more at your youth. We are all going to die, which way will prolong aging the most?

  5. #975
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    188
    Zach, what do you think of hormesis? I understand completely the concept of optimal, but in this day and age we have it pretty cushy. (Aside from environmental decline and such that are hormetic in and of themselves). Isn't it probable that a mild IF would be beneficial in some regard?

  6. #976
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaflard View Post
    Zach, what do you think of hormesis? I understand completely the concept of optimal, but in this day and age we have it pretty cushy. (Aside from environmental decline and such that are hormetic in and of themselves). Isn't it probable that a mild IF would be beneficial in some regard?
    No. I think its much more probable that reducing stresses and being fully nourished at all times would lead to the longest and most youthful life.

    Every stress needs to be overcompensated for, our bodies only have so much resources and time, eventually stress wins and thats why we age. Besides, you are being bombarded with hormesis inducing stress all day, every day, why would you think that adding more in the from of self imposed stress would be of benefit?

    And before anyone says it, im not saying that all stress is bad. Limiting it to the absolutely essential and unavoidable is what im saying.

  7. #977
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    188
    I agree that mitigation of stress is vitally important. At the same time, I think that *some* stress is important in order to challenge and strengthen us.

    I think, IMO, that the best stress comes through physical movement, ie lift heavy things etc. I really believe that psychological stress is crippling us. Most people are seemingly bombarded by things that crush them from an emotional perspective and its powerful stuff.

    My perspective has changed so much as I've gotten older, I'm 48 now. The things that I valued years ago seem so frivolous now. To me, the important things in life are centered around nourishment in both body and mind.

    Eat well so that your body has all its needs met. Respect your body and gift it with the movement and articulation it requires to function well. Give to others so that community thrives. Spend time doing what brings you happiness so that you radiate joy. Teach others through example and deed.

    Not always easy to do in this life, but there is so much wiggle room in there for the individual that there is no need to be dogmatic about anything.

  8. #978
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    100% agree, your body is your temple.

    Im not trying to be dogmatic, if thats who it comes off. I dont think the positives outweigh the negatives when it comes to IF, at least how most use it. Im fine with not eating a few hours before bed and maybe nothing an hour after waking or so. Going prolonged periods without fuel on the other hand is just asking for stress. You can accomplish the same thing by eating light, raw foods or just liquids and get better results i believe.

  9. #979
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    188
    Oh no! Sorry if you thought the dogmatic quip was referring to you. Far from it; you're actually quite the opposite. I've simply encountered far too many who believe that their paradigm is a panacea.

  10. #980
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    4,115
    Shop Now
    I look at it this way: being over-fat is a major stressor and IF is the lesser stressor. It's not chronic stress as the name implies, so I think for me and others it can be beneficial as it helps relieve one stress with a lesser one.

    I do think having some juice or coffee or skim milk with gelatin upon waking is a good idea as well. Something light and easy on the tummy. Of course that's not fasting but perhaps a juice or fruit fast until later in the day could work. I like to mix things up, so I'd try it all. And if I'm ravenous, I eat without forcing a fast because that is definitely stressful and miserable, lol.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •