Page 96 of 204 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 96

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been looking at my food log and noticing that the amount of vitamin A I consume is usually way above the RDI, something like 250% over. I don't much pay attention to the RDI of anything, but isn't over consumption of fat soluble vitamins usually detrimental in some way?

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Graycat, retinol (true vitamin a) or beta-carotene? Don't worry about beta-carotene; it's not really converted to vitamin A that well so you're likely not getting as much of it as you think.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I've been looking at my food log and noticing that the amount of vitamin A I consume is usually way above the RDI, something like 250% over. I don't much pay attention to the RDI of anything, but isn't over consumption of fat soluble vitamins usually detrimental in some way?
    RDI should mostly be disregarded, since each person's requirements vary, and to attach abstract numbers to nutrients, especially since they're way off on fat soluble vitamins, and protein, is a foolish concept. A lot of vitamin a is used in production of sex hormones, and is required more when eating lots of sugar. 250% definitely isn't anything too extreme.

You will notice you have too much vitamin a if you start getting weird cramps in your stomach and dry skin, breaking out, etc; which is actually a sign you're not getting enough too, sans the cramps anyway.

Vitamin a is extremely sensitive to heat too, hence its reaction to sunlight.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Graycat, retinol (true vitamin a) or beta-carotene? Don't worry about beta-carotene; it's not really converted to vitamin A that well so you're likely not getting as much of it as you think.
    I have no way of telling, but basing on what I eat, it has to be a combination of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    RDI should mostly be disregarded, since each person's requirements vary, and to attach abstract numbers to nutrients, especially since they're way off on fat soluble vitamins, and protein, is a foolish concept. A lot of vitamin a is used in production of sex hormones, and is required more when eating lots of sugar. 250% definitely isn't anything too extreme.

You will notice you have too much vitamin a if you start getting weird cramps in your stomach and dry skin, breaking out, etc; which is actually a sign you're not getting enough too, sans the cramps anyway.

Vitamin a is extremely sensitive to heat too, hence its reaction to sunlight.
    Ty. That's good to know.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone know the take on mushrooms? They are fungi but not fermented, not really a starch or a vegetable, but have carbs and protein... Can't find them mentioned by Peat.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I would like to know as well. I love mushrooms!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Zach is offline Banned
    Anything fungal, bacterial or similar is probably a no.

Runner is offline Member
    So, what's Peat's view on fasting?

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    So, what's Peat's view on fasting?
    “When we don’t eat for many hours, our glycogen stores decrease, and adrenaline secretion is increased, liberating more glucose as long as glycogen is available, but also liberating fatty acids from the fatty tissues. When the diet has chronically contained more polyunsaturated fats than can be oxidized immediately or detoxified by the liver, the fat stores will contain a disproportionate amount of them, since fat cells preferentially oxidize saturated fats for their own energy, and the greater water solubility of the PUFA causes them to be preferentially released into the bloodstream during stress."

Basically its a stressful state to be in.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    He's probably against it due to it being stressful. I do IF often. I think it's natural, but I think once you minimize PUFAs it's not as bad.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams