Page 94 of 219 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 94

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    YB, how about plantains? I keep buying them and losing them to the elements before I can try them. Also, have you had sushi lately? Maybe if you have it a few times a week, that can bridge the gap. My favorite is shrimp or crab and cucumber or carrot. I was never into the raw varieties, lol. Aka not real sushi.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I like plantains, but I dont cook these days I'll just try adding in bananas and try to eat more fruit and see what happens.

It's so weird though. I know I said ages ago that I needed 300gs of carbs to sleep, but I've gradually been slipping lower and lower, and the lower I get, the worse my sleep is. I thought it was just a matter of eating more food, so I started eating cottage cheese before bed and it wasnt helping. Then I spoke to Peat and he said that if my diet is too high in protein without enough sugars, the excess protein turns to cortisol. Bingo.

It's hard to make carbs the basis of a day though - I dont find fruit satiating enough. Starch makes me hungrier. Not sure what to do. I had a banana and some dark chocolate today... If things dont work out soon I'll try sushi.

Does anyone know how to lower cortisol? mine is quite high.

Also, does anyone get Peats newsletters?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Have you tried Peat's potato soup? I don't know the recipe but it's popular on the RP forums. Potatoes are sooo satiating to me. The problem with fruit is that it's heavy, mostly water. So you could easily eat 15 lbs. of it a day for little calories, lol.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Potato soup requires cooking.. But actually, that's a good plan for winter.

I've just been rereading Roddy's take on on Peat's take on stress hormones. It's pretty interesting. I missed all that before about how cortisol is needed to break down protein, so if you're on a high protein diet you're going to produce more cortisol. Crazy. It's another bit of evidence again CICO. Eating protein protein wont make you more lean if you've already got high cortisol... Weight is really a hormonal dance.

Becoming Stress Proof Part III
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Yoga, eat ALOT of fruit, haha. Dates and dried mangos are good for that, as well as a lot of juice.

YB: Slow cookers are a great kitchen tool for the lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yoga, eat ALOT of fruit, haha. Dates and dried mangos are good for that, as well as a lot of juice.
    I bought some dried fruit today actually! Dates are a good choice. I've been avoiding eating them cos' they're so calorific and I've plateaued, but I realise now I'm not going to lose any more weight eating this much protein... It really is not calories in calories out.

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    YB: Slow cookers are a great kitchen tool for the lazy.
    You dont realise how lazy I am... I have a slow cooker!

I had a nice realisation today though - I'm eating all the food I've ever wanted, and I'm not gaining weight. I feel completely satiated and happy every day, and I seem to have completely recovered from BED. It's pretty amazing really.

Edit: hilarious - the sugar thread got closed down... once everyone had already gotten sick of it
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-18-2013 at 01:32 PM.

- Ray Peat

Oh, lol @ ultra lazy cook. That's funny! I actually like to cook, probably why I reject the notion of a heavy liquid diet.

And yeah, saw that that thread got locked. Poor OP.

YB, that's so awesome though! I think it's important to eat only what you like and not what you feel obligated to. You're doing it right. Now you just have to make some minor tweaks to perfect it, which is no big deal. You'll get there.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

Does anyone know how to lower cortisol? mine is quite high.
    What conditions are you sleeping in? Make sure you are incomplete darkness all night, go to sleep by 9 if you can but no later than 10 and wear orange glasses after the sun goes down to block out blue light (when you're at home I feel like 90% of my gains in adrenal health came from the above habits.

I know your sleep isn't always the best but remember that the sleep you get in the hours before 12 are the most important. Better to go to bed early and wake up in the wee hours of the morning than to close your eyes late in the day.
    Last edited by PaleoMom; 09-18-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    What are some good food sources of vitamin E? Besides nuts?