Page 83 of 200 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 83

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you, YB! Mum says she is Okay now, but seeing it's across Skype, I dunno. Wish we lived closer! I think I will stick to low sugar diet until I get my bloodwork (whatever they can manage here) in October. Then, if there is no causes for concern, I will try to add more fruit back, maybe. But I dunno, I think we might just have some sort of sugar or fructose sensitivity, given our history.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    You are not the only one here. I always feel great, then decide to have that Tbsp of organic cream with my coffee and/or have several oz of goat/sheep cheese per week, and my weight loss stalls. I think for some people it's just not a food their body likes. Which is fine. Unless you love the taste of dairy, in which case that really sucks for you.
    No, I've never even really liked dairy.... More reason to believe it isn't good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    demonstration of IgE against milk protein in the blood, or skin testing. It's to set apart an actual allergy from lactose intolerance, or to give you a better idea of where you stand on dairy.
    Derp, I had an IgG allergy test a while ago which came back positive for dairy (bovine and goat). However it also came back positive for cane sugar (which I am currently eating a ton of) so if I'm to go by that test, I shouldn't be eating cane sugar either... What do you think about the validity of an IgG test anyway?
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Aren't allergy tests notoriously unreliable? I've heard of people having different results for the same foods within days of each other.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Well, meanwhile at the Ray Peat forum, I asked the question and got some answers:

- Low thyroid (quelle surprise)
    - Suggestion to take pregnenolone (I'm sick of learning how to spell all these ) to improve.. you guessed it: thyroid function! And also for the anxiolyic effects.

But this one was interesting:

When I transitioned from the other diets I tried in the past to a diet with dairy, I noticed that it was giving me the same problems as you describe, and also slight breakouts on my arms and on the sides of my face.

What made me tolerate dairy again was a few days at the beach. I noticed that after the beach I could eat all the dairy I wanted with no side effects.

Off the top of my head going to the beach could deliver vitamin d, red light, magnesium, salt... I'm not sure what else the body can pick up from a day at the beach... I think vitamin D or the suns light might be the major factor though.
    Might be interesting to try the red light therapy with the Vit D to see if it has an effect...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Going to the beach will be nice... honestly though, I think when I spend my days swimming in the warm ocean and lazying about I can tolerate anything!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I'm giving up dairy again - and I think this time for good. Can't say I didn't try - every possible form in every manner. The last gallon of milk I drank was local, organic, grass fed, no vits added, 2% fat. And with each cup I felt a bit more.... off? I can't even describe it objectively. It's just this innate feeling that dairy is not good for me. Also this may just be in my head, but I always feel like I'm losing weight, go back to eating dairy, and it comes back and/or stalls. There are a ton of other factors and I could just be imagining it, but either way I'm done. I will probably buy some pure calcium carbonate to supplement with. Thought about using molasses for calcium but I really can't stomach it - and I will eat anything. I think it's the iron I'm tasting in it that makes me recoil; it tastes like when you bite the inside of your lip and bleed into your mouth...
    The last time you said you were giving up dairy, you said you were doing it for good too. Sorry, just sayin'. The bolded part actually is how I feel about dairy too. I can't describe why I feel like there's something wrong with it and why I shouldn't eat it. I'm not and have never been lactose intolerant. I suspected a casein allergy, but I eliminated dairy for a month and then added it back and noticed no real difference.

But when I wasn't eating dairy, I felt clean somehow. It's very strange and likely completely imaginary. However, I feel like dairy weighs me down somehow. I've not noticed any weight gain from dairy so that's not what I mean. It's a weird feeling that I can't describe, but I think I might give up dairy again too. I think it may be best if I didn't eat dairy in general but just saved it for special occasions.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    L
    Regarding sugar, I think all of you guys who have questions about it need to read some of Peat's articles about sugar and diabetes etc. Glucose is the food of life!

Links:

Peat:
    Sugar issues.
    Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context
    Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

Roddy:
    Sugar: Pure, White & Awesome
    Alright, I read that first link. Wish I'd brewed a strong cup of coffee

Anyway, since allowing myself to up the carbs, I've been using dextrose in my post workout shake. Would you say I would be better off using table sugar instead? Table sugar here in Denmark is beet sugar, by the way. Cane is obtainable, but more expensive.

I've been using dextrose, because I thought it was better, but it's quite a bit more expensive, although not prohibitively so.

Another question is pre-workout nutrition. I've been doing intermittent fasting mostly since starting with primal, and I like to work out a couple hours after getting up, and then eating after that.
    Peat says it's better to eat more often, but what do I eat before a workout? I've been trying with some dairy and fruit, but honestly I feel like I can perform better fasting (but with bcaa beforehand). Any suggestions?

I actually know what you mean Di. Dairy makes me feel heavy somehow... but I don't know if that's a bad thing. For me, it's by far the most satiating food out there, and maybe the heaviness has something to do with that.

Weird example: Yesterday I had a really dairy-heavy day. Breakfast: 125gs goat's cheese, lunch: 70gs gouda, 2 cups milk, dinner: 1.2kg cottage cheese. (obviously I ate fruit, gelatine etc. too). I was uncomfortably bloated all day. But, today, I have zero appetite, and the thought of anything solid makes me feel sick. I did something I've never done: I had liquid meals! ALl day I've just drunk OJ and coffee with gelatine. I have no desire for anything else.

I've eaten tons of nuts / meat / junk food in the past, and I always want to eat the next day. I wonder if the "heavy" feeling people get with dairy is because it's so nutritious.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Going to the beach will be nice... honestly though, I think when I spend my days swimming in the warm ocean and lazying about I can tolerate anything!
    Ha, maybe that's why Seriously though, maybe that's why people are immune to so much more when they go on holidays, or live in be achy towns..

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Be sure to brew a strong cup of coffee for these articles. They're quite dense lol.
    I'd wager that less than 1% of readers ever click into links

Edit: just been proved wrong by Ghshl!!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    Alright, I read that first link. Wish I'd brewed a strong cup of coffee

Anyway, since allowing myself to up the carbs, I've been using dextrose in my post workout shake. Would you say I would be better off using table sugar instead? Table sugar here in Denmark is beet sugar, by the way. Cane is obtainable, but more expensive.

I've been using dextrose, because I thought it was better, but it's quite a bit more expensive, although not prohibitively so.

Another question is pre-workout nutrition. I've been doing intermittent fasting mostly since starting with primal, and I like to work out a couple hours after getting up, and then eating after that.
    Peat says it's better to eat more often, but what do I eat before a workout? I've been trying with some dairy and fruit, but honestly I feel like I can perform better fasting (but with bcaa beforehand). Any suggestions?
    Peat thinks that most of your sugars should come from fruit, but most natural sugars are fine: maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar. I'm pretty sure beet sugar is cool too. From what I know, white sugar is preferable to dextrose because dextrose is pure glucose, whereas white sugar is a glucose-frucrose mix.

Why don't you sip some OJ before your workout? I don't like eating too soon before a workout either, but juice worked well for me today!

- Ray Peat

grokina is offline Member
    A few questions. I've read the articles mentioned above on sugar and starch. And a bunch of his other articles.

I believe I have fructose malabsorption. After sugar or fruit I am extremely exhausted, moody and literally cognitively impaired the following day. I feel like a million bucks after several weeks of avoiding these. Also, I can't tolerate dairy. So that leaves starch. I basically live the whole 30, but I've lowered fat quite a bit only just recently. What can I expect in general terms? Should I also expect steady fat gain due to starch?

I have thyroid and adrenal issues that have mostly been solved, and I also take iron due to low ferritin. I know, not what he recommends. I just started taking a highly regarded probiotic and will start a prebiotic (inulin) to see if I can tolerate it, as I think longstanding gut issues are operating.