Page 75 of 220 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 75

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    How old is your baby? Mine went through a separation anxiety stretch ~ 7-8 months, when she was waking up all the time to make sure I was there, so I ended up sleeping for a few days on the floor on the blanket with her to make it easier. The waking up in the night >> rice over fruit, I think, for being tired. Nothing wipes me out more than sleep disturbances.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    People have done much weirder things than that girl

Oh, fine. I suppose Roddy posted on MDA too...

Btw, have you started upping your progesterone dosage?
    No, haven't upped my progesterone dosage but something so bizarre is happening! I'll have to PM you about it because it's like that, lol.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Oh, I overdid the NSAIDs too. When Aunt Flo became unbearable, I took it several days a month for several years. I just recently stopped, but when I took it on an empty stomach, the pain that ensued was grueling; I'm sure that in itself caused severe damage. There were times it (the pain from Advil) would take my breath away!

Since my hospital visit, I started taking Tylenol if the pain is unbearable but I know that's horrible too. I'm just trying to choose the lesser evil at this point. :/
    You may know this already, but just in case you don't:

Aspirin is bad for the stomach because it causes the downregulation of the production of stomach mucosa, which can then lead to ulcers, which is likely the same thing that was causing your pain after taking so much Advil (I think all NSAIDS have this effect on stomach mucosa). If you still get this pain, what my husband finds to provide instant relief is DGL (which you can find in Whole Foods or most health food stores or online. It's a chewable tablet made of licorice extract that immediately signals the stomach to produce more mucosa. If either of us get a really acidic stomach pain, we chew a couple of those and the pain is gone instantly.

I know Peat is super into aspirin, but I've not noticed any benefit from taking it daily for a couple of weeks, and my husband who has arthritis has never gotten any anti-inflammatory relief from it. Coupled with the way it downregulates stomach mucosa and can lead to ulcers, I personally can't get behind it and don't really understand why he thinks it's so great, no matter how many of his articles I read.

I also happen to have low blood pressure, so taking anything that will thin my blood and further lowers it is a really bad idea for me. I think this is another Peat-thing (like his anti-iron stance) where he's not really taking people in different situations into consideration (like people with low blood pressure or prone to stomach ulcers), he makes a blanket recommendation as if it should be good for everyone.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

How are you getting on with the Provera btw? My doctor wants me to go on that next.
    Why Provera and not Prometrium?

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    I think babies waking in the middle of the night can throw off your circadian rhythm. See if the situation improves when she doesn't wake up. Also, mind your caffeine and chocolate intake before bed if it's a variable.

Is her waking up unusual? What a mother eats while nursing can affect the child. Dairy, coffee, and chocolate are common problems.
    She seems to be dreaming. Last night she talked in her sleep (asking for rice or just calling mama, lol). I've been taking coffee and chocolate throughout our whole nursing relationship, and haven't noticed a correlation. I generally have my last coffee by 11am, and 1 tsp cocoa by 3pm.

As for dairy, last week I drank almost 1 quart of milk a day and she slept solidly the whole night. This week she is waking a lot more.

I will look more into my food intake. I didn't think of it at all!

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    How old is your baby? Mine went through a separation anxiety stretch ~ 7-8 months, when she was waking up all the time to make sure I was there, so I ended up sleeping for a few days on the floor on the blanket with her to make it easier. The waking up in the night >> rice over fruit, I think, for being tired. Nothing wipes me out more than sleep disturbances.
    My daughter is almost 28 months old. She has a lot of separation anxiety, and it seems to have gotten clingier recently. We co-sleep and have only spend one night away from each other since she was born.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    My sleep has been crappy the last few days. My daughter's been waking up multiple times at night either to nurse or because she's wet the bed.

Also feel kind of tired during the day.

The main change diet-wise is more rice instead of fruits the last few days. Work's been busy and I cook one time for the whole family and eat with them. Can starch make such a big difference?
    As you know, I'm not a fan of starch, but I never noticed it affecting my sleep. In fact, I slept better when I was eating starch (I'm assuming cos of the carb load). But eating it never gave me energy either.

This is an interview with Peat, and about 19 mins in he talks about starch (not in a positive way): http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...000fritalk.mp3

But I would think it's more to do with external factors in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    She seems to be dreaming. Last night she talked in her sleep (asking for rice or just calling mama, lol). I've been taking coffee and chocolate throughout our whole nursing relationship, and haven't noticed a correlation. I generally have my last coffee by 11am, and 1 tsp cocoa by 3pm.

As for dairy, last week I drank almost 1 quart of milk a day and she slept solidly the whole night. This week she is waking a lot more.

I will look more into my food intake. I didn't think of it at all!
    Food intake definitely matters, but I know that you're going through some personal difficulties right now... is it possible that your daughter is picking up on this and being effected?

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Why Provera and not Prometrium?
    No idea... Prometrium sounds better though. Maybe it's not available here...

No, haven't upped my progesterone dosage but something so bizarre is happening! I'll have to PM you about it because it's like that, lol.
    Do PM me! Seriously, I'm withered with this condition right now so I feel you I'm thinking of starting a support group on the RP forum!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    This is giving me so much energy! There is so very little change in what I'm eating too. Mostly I'm just eating no starch (but wasn't that much before) and tons of gelatin. I have to think the gelatin is what is giving me the energy. I hear all the other good things about it but I don't think I've heard others mention more energy from it. I might try a few days of eating the exact same foods without the gelatin and see how that feels, just to know if that really is the reason.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Related side note of mine, and throwing it out there in case anyone has comments. Sorry I really haven't had much to contribute, ramping up for my vacay so it means work is 2x as busy, but reading all the things.

I got my cortisol panel back from the doctor's today, and pretty much every female hormone in the panel is below the low range.

Estradiol ----- 1.2L (Range 1.3 - 3.3)
    Progesterone - 51L (Range 75-270)
    Pg/E2 ratio --- 42L (Range 100-500)

Testosterone is perfect, (Thanks weightlifting?), DHEA is low(ish), and AM cortisol is at the very bottom of the range given, but the rest of the day is perfect. Ironically, I go to the gym first thing in the morning.

Also, my Armour dosage went up to 30mg now, from 15mg. So I was given like 4 other things to take, including a progesterone cream which isn't named either of the 2 you guys mentioned. Progesna 20. 20 signifying the mg dose.

Basically, lots more things I need to do research on that I had skipped over previously because I didn't think it would apply to me, haha.

Will add, @PaleoMom: Starch definitely helps me sleep better! Or a bit of ice cream before bed, which is very in-line with the stuff here.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been eating more Peat-y than usual over the past week and a half. I typically don't grow much body hair (genetics I guess, my head hair is extremely thick), but over the past week and a half, I've noticed that my body hair (particularly chest hair) is growing extremely quickly.

Anyone else notice an increase in body hair growth while eating 'Peat' (dudes in particular. Ladies, I'm sorry, but I don't want to hear about your chest hair, no offense ).
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog: