Page 67 of 219 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 67

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    High carbers want the low carb dream
    Only in your dreams
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Copied from another site:

Testosterone reduction:

Eating foods rich in sugar (bread, candy, cookies, pasta, soda, etc.) causes rapid increases in your blood sugar. This, in turn makes your testosterone levels plummet. Studies find that one sugar rich meal can cause testosterone levels to decrease by as much as 25%. Do this repeatedly and you’re likely to have chronically low levels.

Sugar, saliva, and bacteria lead to a formidable combination that may lead to tooth decay. After eating sugar, particularly sucrose, and even within minutes of brushing your teeth, sticky glycoproteins (combination of carbohydrate and protein molecule) adhere to the teeth to start the formation of plaque. At the same time millions of bacteria known as Streptococcus mutans also adhere to the glycoprotein. Although, many oral bacteria also adhere, only the S. mutans is able to cause cavities.

Someone mentioned that Peat is a good writer. Really?
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post

Testosterone reduction:

Eating foods rich in sugar (bread, candy, cookies, pasta, soda, etc.) causes rapid increases in your blood sugar. This, in turn makes your testosterone levels plummet. Studies find that one sugar rich meal can cause testosterone levels to decrease by as much as 25%. Do this repeatedly and you’re likely to have chronically low levels.

Sugar, saliva, and bacteria lead to a formidable combination that may lead to tooth decay. After eating sugar, particularly sucrose, and even within minutes of brushing your teeth, sticky glycoproteins (combination of carbohydrate and protein molecule) adhere to the teeth to start the formation of plaque. At the same time millions of bacteria known as Streptococcus mutans also adhere to the glycoprotein. Although, many oral bacteria also adhere, only the S. mutans is able to cause cavities.
    Care to post a link?

I find his writing style to be easy to read.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Ifs fine for a short term fat loss stint. Not very sustainable unless you have an iron will and love potatoss with no fat on them. I only lasted three days. There are much better ways for fat loss.
    OK I like to use it to reset my "more than 20%" eating when it gets too out of hand.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Okay, I just started one in Journals. It's a bit less in-your-face over there

What did you Peat today?

Zach or Derp - maybe you guys could post the first menus? Since you've been eating this way the longest.

I agree Jake - some people don't like / can't follow his style of writing, but I love it. It's so saturated.

I was thinking about this a while ago... Peat's approach is the opposite to Primal in a major way... Primal / Paleo aspires to go back to our evolutionary woe, whereas Peat is actually trying to hack the human body in a way that will tap the untapped potential latent in our DNA. He's trying to forge a way forward to future evolution, not past.
    Derp and I are pretty boring and repetitive when it comes to foods.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post

Testosterone reduction:

All bullshit.

Neck, i dont care to speak for others but you know iv run the ancestral diet gauntlet. The diet i am currently on now is more enjoyable then even a SAD diet of eating anything i want. I have never had such flowing energy and strength. Its safe to say i will never go back to a meat, fat and more fat diet.
    Last edited by Zach; 09-07-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    All bullshit.

Neck, i dont care to speak for others but you know iv run the ancestral diet gauntlet. The diet i am currently on now is more enjoyable then even a SAD diet of eating anything i want. I have never had such flowing energy and strength. Its safe to say i will never go back to a meat, fat and more fat diet.
    Haha, fair enough. It's been brought to my attention that I have never actually been VLC for a long enough period to crash. And its true. My longest stint was about two months. And even now I'm only 80/20 LC primal. I still eat off reservation enough to say I'm not the epitome of primal health. Really, I'm for seasonal variations. Not so much cause your body will throw a shit fit if you have a watermelon in winter, as just because I think its the best way hedge your bets. Thats my new philosophy... its the just don't fuck it up too bad philosophy . You were born and meant to be healthy, so just eat as close to human as you can conceive and don't mess up the program. Is VLC dangerous? Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a break once in a while and carb up. Is high carb primal dangerous? Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a break once in a while and run on fat.

I mean unless your omnipotent and are absolutely certain that there really is one true path to optimal health. Ancestral isn't perfect, but I have a very hard time laying it all at the feet of Peat's hypothesis as well. His is too much of an "in science we trust" perspective, which is OK.... but there are too many variables in that equation for it to sit right with me... even if I did agree with every single thing he wrote (which I don't, but hey thats not the point). Humans have a very checkered past when it comes to attempting to outwit our past habits based on new biochemical models.

We don't actually have to debate it, as we already have. I'm not actually disparaging anybodies choices. I do think that much of the problems in the LC realm could be ameliorated by some of the things I wrote though.

BTW love you and knifes thread over in fitness.... I think you got a bit of a head start in leanness based on some pics I've seen round here already though .
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-07-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    The only real gripe i have about the ancestral movement is the blind faith assumption that natural will always be better. Im not sure that we as a species are even remotely similar to even our closest ancestors and that its possible to even somewhat mimic their way of life.

It might be best now to look to the future and see if there is a way to regain health that fits with who we are now, not who we were hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands of years ago.

Yea, it should be interesting, i have nothing to really offer that thread et because i still look roughly the same, down maybe a lb from my last shot. But im interested to see what knife can pull off.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I mean unless your omnipotent and are absolutely certain that there really is one true path to optimal health. Ancestral isn't perfect, but I have a very hard time laying it all at the feet of Peat's hypothesis as well. His is too much of an "in science we trust" perspective, which is OK.... but there are too many variables in that equation for it to sit right with me... even if I did agree with every single thing he wrote (which I don't, but hey thats not the point). Humans have a very checkered past when it comes to attempting to outwit our past habits based on new biochemical models.
    I totally hear you. But ironically, because Peat's ideas are so "out there", I think you'll be hard pushed to find anyone who accepts him on blind faith.

This is the one "diet" that I didn't just read and think "woah - better switch to this woe or I'm gonna DIE!" (unlike vegetarianism, veganism, or primal). Maybe because I had (finally) learnt from experience, or maybe because he writes in such a non-evasive manner. It took at least six months of reading his work before I started implementing his suggestions. Zach and Derp can both attest to that. But once I did, I was amazed at how easy it all was. THe more I implement, the better I feel, and the more I think he has it right.

Change of topic: who here is doing the brown bag breathing? I tried it today - what a natural high!

Yea, it should be interesting, i have nothing to really offer that thread et because i still look roughly the same, down maybe a lb from my last shot. But im interested to see what knife can pull off.
    I find it ironic that Knife challenged you to a body fat duel to prove that Primal is better than Peat, but while you're just eating your regular diet he's doing a steak and eggs hack...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Yb, your totally right about Peat. I was sold hook line and sicker on Primal but it took me a long time to even think about a Peat diet and even then i never did implement everything or fully go for it. Now the more i do, the better i feel. I still dont think peat has everything right but it is pretty amazing how accurate he is. Take sugar for example, most people including myself would think its absolutely batty to add a half cup of sugar to your diet. Well now that i finally took the plunge and tried it, im seeing amazing things happen. Who knows how far you could push these things.

As for the ab race, to be fair i said "wanna race" so i technically challanges him. I am eating almost twice as much as him though so i think that will be the most interesting thing.