Page 66 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 66

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I never really considered my self a "Peat guy", but I've been reading his work a lot over the past few days, along with Danny Roddy, and it really is fascinating. It helps that he's a great writer as well.

Oh, and this thread is awesome!
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    It's a pleasure! It keeps me learning

Hey guys, I've got a suggestion. Would anyone be up for making a mass exodus to the Ray Peat forum? Not that I'm suggesting leaving MDA altogether, but I think if we were on the RP forum we could have several threads going, and also be getting a lot more info from a lot more people. Plus, I think it would help the RP diet gain more traction if a bit of life was injected into that forum

What do you guys think?
    Yup I'm in. I think they could use a little high fat/low carb perspective over there. Don't want them becoming too dogmatic and all right?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I just started one in Journals. It's a bit less in-your-face over there

What did you Peat today?

Zach or Derp - maybe you guys could post the first menus? Since you've been eating this way the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    I never really considered my self a "Peat guy", but I've been reading his work a lot over the past few days, along with Danny Roddy, and it really is fascinating. It helps that he's a great writer as well.

Oh, and this thread is awesome!
    I agree Jake - some people don't like / can't follow his style of writing, but I love it. It's so saturated.

I was thinking about this a while ago... Peat's approach is the opposite to Primal in a major way... Primal / Paleo aspires to go back to our evolutionary woe, whereas Peat is actually trying to hack the human body in a way that will tap the untapped potential latent in our DNA. He's trying to forge a way forward to future evolution, not past.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

moluv is offline Senior Member

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Oh, is it heavily moderated? In that case fuck it. I'll start a thread over in recipes?!
    Maybe start it in odds and ends so we don't become targets for someone's Keto Rage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Oh oops, didn't see your last post.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yup I'm in. I think they could use a little high fat/low carb perspective over there. Don't want them becoming too dogmatic and all right?
    Oops - sorry NH - too late!

Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    Maybe start it in odds and ends so we don't become targets for someone's Keto Rage.
    See above
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Oh, is it heavily moderated? In that case fuck it. I'll start a thread over in recipes?!
    I have no idea, but I do know it has moderators. Sure, start a thread in recipes. I hope people actually posts recipes and not just fruit + gelatin ad nauseam, haha.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    You might find that many people there have already gone that route and have no interest in revisiting a failed method.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    You might find that many people there have already gone that route and have no interest in revisiting a failed method.
    They probably just need a little mentoring on how to do it right....

I would bet I could set em up to thrive on low carb. At least half the ones that think it didn't "work" for them anyhow, given a little one on one consultation. Not that anybody wants that though .

Its cool either way really. I just see the inability to thrive on low carb as being just as metabolically deranged as those who can't seem to handle glucose in a moderate amount.

That and we have "the grass is always greener..." thing. High carbers want the low carb dream and low carbers want the high carb dream. New diets bring new possibilities.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-07-2013 at 10:25 AM.

They probably just need a little mentoring on how to do it right....
    Oh, you rascal

That and we have "the grass is always greener..." thing. High carbers want the low carb dream and low carbers want the high carb dream.
    Haha, I would love to know one Peat person who wants the low carb dream! Man, have you seen what we eat? Dairy, fruit, sugar. You can have your buttered kale...

- Ray Peat

Learn More
    Oh, you rascal

Haha, I would love to know one Peat person who wants the low carb dream! Man, have you seen what we eat? Dairy, fruit, sugar. You can have your buttered kale...
    Heh, the only thing I don't eat out of that is the sugar.... but, I do have honey instead... which has higher fructose than sugar... so I'm more Peat than you . I also have 1 apple tree, 1 pear tree, 3 peach trees (yes I like these best), and 4 berrie bushes. Dairy is weird though. Only quality raw stuff for me. Crap dairy doesn't sit well. But cutting dairy completely does seem to do very well for me overall. And of course in winter my fruit trees are not producing so...

Actually I think that most low carbers could add 1- 2 pieces of fruit and one small potato a day and pretty much hedge their bets against any negative effect... real or otherwise. I eat that and pretty much no vegetables except for flavor (lots of onion, garlic, tomato, spice, and herbs). Thats still under 100g of carbs, but they are the sort that are actually used as fuel rather than the fiber stuff.

Then you got the really high fat keto-ers that really are gonna muck up the biochem by not getting enough of the co-factors to actually process and use that fat for energy. So if you're gonna go that high in fat you HAVE to get in your organ meats. It's not a question of want. If you go say 65/35 (f/p) with plenty from real bone in meat you are a lot better off than trying to go 80/20 with mostly from added oils and such. Just not enough cofactors for processing in the latter.

Just dropping in to ruffle a few feathers and say hi. Anyhow back to your regularly scheduled program .
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-07-2013 at 10:51 AM.