Page 64 of 221 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 64

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I know this is probably stating the obvious, but what about caffeine (and chocolate)? When I drink caffeine or have chocolate before bed I can fall asleep but will often wake up 3-4 hours into sleep. Chocolate coconut water does this big time, as does Coca-Cola and even dark chocolate. It has a latent effect for me for whatever reason. I try to avoid large doses of either at least 4-5 hours before bed.
    Well, hypoglycaemic insomnia occurs because your BS dips too low / suddenly drops while you're sleeping. The theory is that to keep blood sugar stable the liver will dump glycogen into the blood stream, which will wake you up with a jolt.

Peat's take is slightly different, believing that people with low thyroid function are more susceptible to low blood sugar, and that when fasting their blood sugar is maintained by stress hormones (cortisol raises blood sugar). So a sleeping person with low blood sugar will wake from deep sleep because of the flood of stress hormones trying to maintain BS. They will feel a compulsion to eat to reduce the stress, so that they can maintain their BS by food, not stress hormones.

Chocolate lowers BS: I guess the sugar in initially raises the BS, and then another compound in the chocolate causes a drop.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-06-2013 at 11:18 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Been doing MOAR research on Oestrogen Dominance

Herbs with estrogenic activities (avoid):

Anise, hops, fennel, black cohosh, milk thistle, clover, red clover, Don Quai, licorice, ginseng, royal jelly, peony, nettle, sage, fenugreek, evening primrose oil, burdock, chamomiles, rhubarb.

Environmental oestrogens - Xenoestrogens (avoid):

alkylphenols (intermediate chemicals used in the manufacture of other chemicals)
    atrazine (weedkiller)
    4-Methylbenzylidene camphor (4-MBC) (sunscreen lotions)
    butylated hydroxyanisole, BHA (food preservative)
    bisphenol A (monomer for polycarbonate plastic and epoxy resin; antioxidant in plasticizers)
    dichlorodiphenyldichloroethylene (one of the breakdown products of DDT)
    dieldrin (banned insecticide)
    DDT (banned insecticide)
    endosulfan (widely banned insecticide)
    erythrosine, FD&C Red No. 3 (E127)
    ethinylestradiol (combined oral contraceptive pill) (released into the environment as a xenoestrogen)[71]
    heptachlor (restricted insecticide)
    lindane, hexachlorocyclohexane (restricted insecticide)
    metalloestrogens (a class of inorganic xenoestrogens)
    methoxychlor (banned insecticide)
    nonylphenol and derivatives (industrial surfactants; emulsifiers for emulsion polymerization; laboratory detergents; pesticides)
    pentachlorophenol (restricted general biocide and wood preservative)
    polychlorinated biphenyls, PCBs (banned; formerly used in electrical oils, lubricants, adhesives, paints)
    parabens (lotions)
    phthalates (plasticizers)
    DEHP (plasticizer for PVC)
    Propyl gallate (used to protect oils and fats in products from oxidation)

Pesticides sprayed on fruits or vegetables are another source of estrogen (xenoestrogens). Soaking them in a water-vinegar mixture for 20 to 30 minutes followed by rinsing in clean water can remove much of the pesticides if organically-grown vegetables or fruits are unavailable.

Things that help:

CHinese herbs: Chinese Bitters and Fem-Mate stimulate progesterone production. Shou Wu Tea can work well too.

Exercise: Deep breathing, stretching. SOmething like Tai Chi, or Y-Dan: an ancient Chinese low-stress alternative to Tai Chi
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I was there, it's like staring into the abyss and pissing into it because you literally cannot stop pissing. Then the foul odor emitting from the ketone bodies in your urine is like something straight out of hell. You become something else entirely, because your stress hormones are so high so you're always angry. I remember pulling over 10 times on a 2 hour car trip to release more of my soul out via urine, and I would get so angry at the clear liquid coming out and my seemingly non-functional penis.
    Too funny man

simonb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    YEOW!

Hey guys, I need help with something but don't want to post in the main forum cos of the arguments it will probably generate...

I'm having a lot of blood sugar issues this week and not sure what to do... Every night this week I've woken in the middle of the night starving, and can't get back to sleep until I eat something. I used to have this issue when I was low carb, but it resolved itself when I started eating high carb.

I'm not really tracking anything so I don't know what my macros are, but I suspect I'm not getting enough carbs atm... Do you think I should lower my protein intake in favour of more fruit?

Even doing this is obviously just treating the symptoms anyway... I would like to get my blood sugar more stable. Is there a Peat protocol I could employ? I read that supping chromium and cinnamon help, but those aren't peat suggestions.
    How do you know it's blood sugar? It could be stress hormones which will change as you continue a diet suitable to your needs/

Anyway, have you tried some dried fruit by the bed, as well as a bit of sugar and salt under the tongue. I find sometimes I wake and need something like this, I have either done just dates, or dates and cheese from the fridge, or just sugar and salt under the tongue (from Matt Stone), or gelatin, OJ and salt pre-mixed by the be for when I wake up. I can feel the tension easing in my body and I drift off quite quickly again.
    Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

simonb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    A lot of times, I am sleepy - just can't fall asleep.
    What time do you go to bed? I find 10.30 and the noise isn't there so much for me, after 11 and the "Noise" rises making it much harder to fall asleep. I often get most tired at 8.30/9pm and then get more alert as the evening goes on. If I could learn to just listen to my body then maybe it'd be better!
    Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

simonb is offline Member
    Chocolate lowers BS, and caffeine apparently raises it.
    I think the opposite for caffeine, which is why Peat recommends Coffee with cream and lots of sugar

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I haven't had the chance to look through the entire thread, but do you all have opinions on eating straight potatoes all the time?

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    A few questions:

Is this supposed to bring down estrogen? I already have low estrogen (and everything else, except thyroid is normal).

I read on here that caffeine raises blood sugar but I find that I get terrible low blood sugar feelings when I drink caffeine. I don't drink coffee though, but caffeine usually comes from tea - mostly green tea.

Yesterday I ate a small meal (cottage cheese w/maple syrup and milk w/gleatine and sugar) an hour before bed and I slept so much better... Got a full six hours I bet it would have worked even better if I'd eaten directly before bed. Will try that tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by simonb View Post
    How do you know it's blood sugar? It could be stress hormones which will change as you continue a diet suitable to your needs/

Anyway, have you tried some dried fruit by the bed, as well as a bit of sugar and salt under the tongue. I find sometimes I wake and need something like this, I have either done just dates, or dates and cheese from the fridge, or just sugar and salt under the tongue (from Matt Stone), or gelatin, OJ and salt pre-mixed by the be for when I wake up. I can feel the tension easing in my body and I drift off quite quickly again.
    I have a history of unstable blood sugar, but I think it's both: stress hormones caused by low blood sugar (possibly caused by low thyroid).

Thanks for the tips! Zach actually told me about the sugar-salt mixture ages ago, but I haven't tried it yet...

Quote Originally Posted by simonb View Post
    I think the opposite for caffeine, which is why Peat recommends Coffee with cream and lots of sugar
    Oops, my bad!

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    A few questions:

Is this supposed to bring down estrogen? I already have low estrogen (and everything else, except thyroid is normal).
    Oetrogen dominance isn't necessarily very high oestrogen - it's an imbalance between oestrogen and progesterone. I think Peat's goal is to balance hormones in general.

Your issue appears slightly different as your body generally isn't manufacturing hormones effectively, but I bet there is a lot within his research that could help you. I just posted on the RP forum to see if anyone might have more info

- Ray Peat

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oetrogen dominance isn't necessarily very high oestrogen - it's an imbalance between oestrogen and progesterone. I think Peat's goal is to balance hormones in general.
    Yes, this. My estrogen is actually in "normal range" but my ratio of estrogen to testosterone and other hormones makes it dominant. Some doctors will overlook this and disregard anything that's "in range" without looking at the ratios between them. This occurs often and will cause them to not even pursue certain symptoms if they believe you don't have a problem.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams