Page 57 of 200 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 57

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Do you eat fruit?

Is the mercury in tuna a concern?

Last week when I visited my family, I had shrimp every other day. Now back home, tuna is the staple fish.
    Yea I am eating A LOT of fruit recently. Today I had 4 ripe bananas, 2 mangoes, an apple, a handful of grapes, a bunch of watermelon, and probably will have another apple or some more melon later.

I don't eat tuna much, probably 3-4 cans a week.

Zach is offline Banned
    Ray Peat would advocate olympic weightlifting or similar. Low reps, high weight, high intensity, lots of rest periods.

Are you talking about a lifting routine just for your lifting days? Two days a week correct?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Ray Peat would advocate olympic weightlifting or similar. Low reps, high weight, high intensity, lots of rest periods.

Are you talking about a lifting routine just for your lifting days? Two days a week correct?
    What about Tabata style workouts? And how many sets do you think? Some people are saying that they only do one set of 10 reps to failure!

Yeah, exactly. I was originally thinking three times a week, but based on what I'm reading it seems like less is more, so two days would prob be sufficient.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    What about Tabata style workouts? And how many sets do you think? Some people are saying that they only do one set of 10 reps to failure!

Yeah, exactly. I was originally thinking three times a week, but based on what I'm reading it seems like less is more, so two days would prob be sufficient.
    I think you should stop reading whatever you are reading, lol.

What are you trying to accomplish with your training?

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simonb View Post
    I don't get this.

My main takeaway from Peat (via Danny Roddy and Josh Rubin) is to control stress hormones.

Both of the above will do the exact opposite. Roddy and Rubin say eat right before bed and right when you wake up, that should be 8 hours fast.

Exercise is a stressor too. Rubin says during his workouts he sips 16oz OJ with about the same sparkling water, mixed with salt and 3 TBS gelatin to stave off the stress response. What are you taking in the 2 hour workouts?
    Probably not ideal in a Peat fashion, but IF helps me create a deficit to lose weight, as does exercise. I don't mind either and would rather more move in exchange for more food. Plus, I actually enjoy my workouts and try to vary them. They may be stressful temporarily, but many things are. I don't think I get an adrenaline rush from it; I genuinely like listening to music while walking, cycling, step-boarding, lifting stuff, jumping around, dancing like I have rhythm, etc. I'm not a lean male athletic type with low body fat. I'm a very short female with fluff to lose, so I don't drink calories during my workouts, I save them for directly after.

I'm not totally Peat, I'm not really Primal. Damn, I suck at conformity. heh
    Last edited by j3nn; 09-04-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

moluv is offline Senior Member
    How about some food pr0n y'all?

Dinner: big ole pile of cherries. Dish of crab meat heated up in a bit of ghee and coconut oil, lemon juice and lemon pepper with a raw pastured egg yolk cracked on top (I had fat grams to spare) with a little sprinkle of cayenne and coarse Celtic salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I'm ageless.

Nice cherries.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simonb View Post
    You don't need to take it too easy, just why exercise for 2 hours? If your goal is strength, size, weight gain, you can achieve it through 35-40 minute workouts. Time under tension, understanding forces, moments help -

check out RTS - Functional Continuum®
    Thanks dude. I've been doing bodyweight training for about ~30 mins a day lately. I'll check out the link.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Moluv - that looks good. I was staring at a can of crabmeat at TJ's last night and passed on it because I didn't know what to do with it... Heating it up with lemon juice seems simple enough

Ladies - I keep reading on here that you are eating less and losing weight. My system is such a mess at this point that hoping for that is probably not realistic - but I have definitely put on 2-3 lbs in the two weeks I've been doing this. I am definitely hungrier than lower carb/higher fat paleo. I'm pretty good at weight maintenance but can't lose weight at all. I'm nervous about continuing this slow upward trend... because I don't think I'd ever get the weight off! I'm thinking that maybe I need to just cut amounts across the board a little. Like, I don't really *need* 16oz of cottage cheese each morning. I can probably do 8 oz. 1.5 lbs of grapes is probably a little too much... This is kind of like when I started paleo - yeah! I can eat a whole block of cheese!

This was yesterday:

6 AM - coffee + tsp sugar + 1/2 Knox
    10 AM - 16 oz 1% CC + 80 g raisins
    1 PM - 1 tin smoked oysters (drained) + 2.5 oz dried mango + bowl of homemade rice pudding
    7 PM - 1/2 big cantaloupe + 1.5 lbs grapes <-- 1/2 of that was munching... + 1 oz raw cheddar + 1/2 c ice cream

This was ~2300 calories. I was really hungry at 5 PM at crossfit (stomach was growling). I'm thinking of trying to appease appetite with more kombucha and Peat coffee.

Just looking for other ideas of foods/menus that are satiating because overall, even though I'm feeling a little less bloated (which is great) I'm definitely hungrier eating this way... Thanks

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Just looking for other ideas of foods/menus that are satiating because overall, even though I'm feeling a little less bloated (which is great) I'm definitely hungrier eating this way... Thanks
    Maybe a simple thing like more proteins ? From your menu, it looks pretty low in prot but again, I don't know what Knox and CC could be. A big chunk of fatty beef in the middle of this ? or even veal liver with tons of onions ?