Page 38 of 200 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 38

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh, Auschwitz! :-o
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I wanna get that Zach physique, or at least not look like I escaped from Aucshwitz anymore ;-; hyperthyroidism
    I'm confused. Are you actually hyperthyroid? If so, what is your rationale for taking Cynomel?

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    That's a fuckton of working out, brah.

I need to get me some rings either up in my backyard or in the garage. Then I can do some sick shit!
    Right on! I got rings hanging in my living room.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    What exactly do you need from fatty fish? Just curious, because salmon is not very high in nutrients. I'm always trying to further understand people's mechanisms for perceiving a "craving". Fat should be an obvious one, I guess, if you feel a crash from not enough fat for absorption or hormone production, but I never understood specific food cravings when you should be nutrient replete. Maybe you just like the taste?
    Honestly, I have no idea either... It wasn't a conscious decision to go eat it, and I really don't understand how cravings work. Since I started eating this way I have not craved anything (expect ice cream a few times, which I interpreted as a craving for fat).

But I thought it was very interesting that yesterday I got a very distinct craving, I ate what I was craving, and suddenly I was too full to finish my food! And I didn't eat much. This has been happening to me a lot since starting the Peat woe, (but not for the last few days).

All I know is that ignoring my body is what got me into messes in the past. It seems to be a lot smarter than me, so I'm gonna go with it

What do other people think about cravings?

ACtually, has Peat written anything on cravings? Derp, would you be interested to ask him?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 08-26-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    What do other people think about cravings?
    I don't think I really understand cravings either. For me, it's more like feeling hunger rather than a crave for any particular food.
    Many times I'll feel like having savory food over sweet tasting one or vice versa.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It would seem so. The higher in fat or whey something is, the worst I do with it. Ice cream, cottage cheese, skim milk, etc., are all problematic--even tried the lactose-free varieties. It hasn't always been like this for me, though. Only in the past several years has it worsened. My family owned an ice cream stand for 15 years and all through my childhood I had lots of milk and cream and homemade gelato but never reacted like this until my mid 20s.
    It sounds like you got sensitive to casein, rather than lactose (or both). Sorry to hear that, but, luckily the world of foods is very diverse.

So, i finished my first week on FAST met diet plan - not strictly, mind you, and it was fine after i stopped trying to eat as much grains as recommended, substituting them for beans & fruit. Dropped a pound on Sat, and only gained 1.5 lbs over the weekend. Let's see how this week goes; I'd like to get to 133, but on the other hand, that's the weight from which i roll back up lately (I dunno if you have experienced that sticky point, that's yuk). Unfortunately, still no sign of my period.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    It would seem so. The higher in fat or whey something is, the worst I do with it. Ice cream, cottage cheese, skim milk, etc., are all problematic--even tried the lactose-free varieties. It hasn't always been like this for me, though. Only in the past several years has it worsened. My family owned an ice cream stand for 15 years and all through my childhood I had lots of milk and cream and homemade gelato but never reacted like this until my mid 20s.
    Hello, could it be the casein type ? (A1 vs A2 debate, BCM7 peptide, etc) I notice much better dairy tolerance on A2 type only (sheep, buffalo, goat, A2 only cow).

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Wanted to ask: has anyone noticed their sleep pattern has changed on Peat? I'm finding that I need A LOT less sleep to sustain me these days. I sleep between 5 and 7 hours, which is the same as before really, but now I bound out of bed and have no energy crashes all day. It's a beautiful thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I don't think I really understand cravings either. For me, it's more like feeling hunger rather than a crave for any particular food.
    Many times I'll feel like having savory food over sweet tasting one or vice versa.
    Was it always like that, or has it changed recently for you (since starting Peat)?

Also Grey, me and you have prob be doing this for a similar length of time - is your appetite still reduced and your energy still good? All still the same as before?

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It sounds like you got sensitive to casein, rather than lactose (or both). Sorry to hear that, but, luckily the world of foods is very diverse.

So, i finished my first week on FAST met diet plan - not strictly, mind you, and it was fine after i stopped trying to eat as much grains as recommended, substituting them for beans & fruit. Dropped a pound on Sat, and only gained 1.5 lbs over the weekend. Let's see how this week goes; I'd like to get to 133, but on the other hand, that's the weight from which i roll back up lately (I dunno if you have experienced that sticky point, that's yuk). Unfortunately, still no sign of my period.
    Yeah J3nn, I thought so too!

Leida, sorry if I've asked this before, but is this the first time your period has stopped?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Leida, sorry if I've asked this before, but is this the first time your period has stopped?
    I had it happen before after what obstetrician thought was missed miscarriage when we were trying ttc. I was put on prometrium back then after about 3 months, then clomid & that stabilized the system. From what I have read, ~ 3 months is normal after stopping the bcp, so it is still not a cause for concern, just unsettling.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Was it always like that, or has it changed recently for you (since starting Peat)?

Also Grey, me and you have prob be doing this for a similar length of time - is your appetite still reduced and your energy still good? All still the same as before?
    My eating patterns used to be very erratic prior to Peat. I experienced hunger a lot and way more often. Many times shortly after I had eaten. As to cravings, I did crave sweets mostly, because that was the taste and the type of foods I had denied myself for a very long time. It wasn't a particular food that I had to have, though.
    Re appetite, mine is still suppressed which might be what a normal one should be like, but comparatively speaking to me it feels suppressed, but not as low as it was the first month or so. I had several days at <1000 calories. Now I seem to have it leveled off at 1400 - 600 cals and I still have a lot of energy.
    My sleep however is not that good. I seem to wake up a few times a night and take a while to fall back asleep. Two nights ago I started experimenting with large piece of fruit before bed time, although I'm not at all hungry then, and it seems to be helping for the time being.