Page 3 of 219 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 3

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm on a roll...

FATTY FISH

- His views on fatty fish are basically linked to his views on PUFA. Mammals have a high rate of metabolism, and are composed of saturated fat. Organisms that live at low temperatures and metabolize slowly, such as fish, have PUFA.

saturated fats solidify at low temperature; beef fat is very stiff at refrigerator temperature, and in a fat fish, such stiffness would be lethal.

Even some hibernating rodents can stay alive with their body tissues close to the freezing point, and their stored fats have to be unsaturated. When their diet doesn't allow them to store enough polyunsaturated fat, they fail to go into hibernation. This is probably a clue to some of the general biological effects of the PUFA.

A series of studies about 20 years ago showed that the functions of the thyroid hormone are all inhibited by unsaturated fats, with the inhibition increasing in proportion to the number of unsaturations (double bonds) in the fat molecule.

When the tissues are saturated with those antithyroid fats, metabolism slows, especially when any stress, such as cold or hunger, increases the concentration of free fatty acids in the blood stream.
    More here: Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

- Peat believes that isolated fish oil (i.e.. Cod liver oil) suppresses the immune system, thus reducing inflammation by default (which is the reason people feel better when they take them). He's been speaking out against fish oil for years, and lately there is a growing body of evidence to support him (google it)

More here: The Great Fish Oil Experiment

---

Personally, I was incredulous when I saw that Peat lumped salmon in with other sources of PUFA. Even though I eat Peat-style, I continue to eat salmon. However... lately, I've noticed that after eating it I sometimes feel tired. I'm not getting good quality stuff, so I am considering if it's better just to ditch it, and reserve eating fish for when I can get it super fresh.

So, I'm not thinking of ditching it because of PUFA fear-mongering, but I'm finding that the longer I eat Peat, the less desirable fish is to me. It's strange... all my tastes seem to be gearing in a specific direction...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    How is the diagram in the OP broken down? Is it broken down by food volume, or by calories, or by weight?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

peril is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE="God said"]A series of studies about 20 years ago showed that the functions of the thyroid hormone are all inhibited by unsaturated fats, with the inhibition increasing in proportion to the number of unsaturations (double bonds) in the fat molecule.
    [\QUOTE]
    References?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    How is the diagram in the OP broken down? Is it broken down by food volume, or by calories, or by weight?
    I imagine it's by calories, but I'm not sure. It was made by one of Peat's enthusiasts, not by Peat himself.

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by God said
    A series of studies about 20 years ago showed that the functions of the thyroid hormone are all inhibited by unsaturated fats, with the inhibition increasing in proportion to the number of unsaturations (double bonds) in the fat molecule.
    [\QUOTE]
    References?
    Find them yourself if you need them I don't blindly swallow anyone's research, references or not. I do what makes me feel best.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 10-05-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    References?
    Did you check the bottom of the page where it says references?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Saying that, as J3nn said, starch has a place in a Peat diet if you want it. I still eat sushi
    Would it be hilarious if bickering broke out among Peatarians over fruit vs. starch? LOL

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Would it be hilarious if bickering broke out among Peatarians over fruit vs. starch? LOL
    One thing I'll say about the Peat forum is that people are really respectful to each other. On the occasion that someone comes in, guns blazing, people respectfully bow out. I always see them saying that "you've got to find what works for you", "no need to try all Peat's suggestions at once", "experiment".

This forum has become a blood bath.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    One thing I'll say about the Peat forum is that people are really respectful to each other. On the occasion that someone comes in, guns blazing, people respectfully bow out. I always see them saying that "you've got to find what works for you", "no need to try all Peat's suggestions at once", "experiment".

This forum has become a blood bath.
    It happens when anything becomes a religion. I'm diet agnostic. I think all protocols with specific rules are too rigid yet might have some worthy points. It's just a matter of finding what works for you. Cannot believe how seriously some take things like orange juice and kale. It can't be healthy to get that worked up about macronutrients and quantities of food.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    What i eat:
    - a lot of fruits (usually fruits through out the day and cooked food for dinner; roughly 3-4 bananas, a bowl of cherries, half a medium sized water melon, mangos/jackfruit/papaya/guava based on season and dates)
    - potatoes (i use it as "base" for cooked food, usually dinner; so baked potato + cheese or eggs or meat)
    - vegetables (from a selection of broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, tomato, eggplant, etc) and nuts
    - 2 raw carrots a day
    - about 2 single espressos with sugar
    - 1 Lindt 70% chocolate bar a day
    - a pint of Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream over a week
    - Meat/Fish/Poultry: no more than 2 or 3 meals a weak

No grains.

Less meat works better on me. While i eat only 2-3 "meaty" meals a week, i make it count with high quality ingredients.
    Few but ripe.

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    It happens when anything becomes a religion. I'm diet agnostic. I think all protocols with specific rules are too rigid yet might have some worthy points. It's just a matter of finding what works for you. Cannot believe how seriously some take things like orange juice and kale. It can't be healthy to get that worked up about macronutrients and quantities of food.
    I hear you. I enjoy reading Peat, but honestly, I don't live my life trying to "optimise my thyroid" or "raise my metabolism".

His ideas are outlandish, and the only reason I implement them is cos'... they work for me! Not cos' of "references" (which can always be debunked, depending on your perspective).

Btw, have you ever thought of writing to Peat asking for advice about your digestive issues?

Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    What i eat:
    - a lot of fruits (usually fruits through out the day and cooked food for dinner; roughly 3-4 bananas, a bowl of cherries, half a medium sized water melon, mangos/jackfruit/papaya/guava based on season and dates)
    - potatoes (i use it as "base" for cooked food, usually dinner; so baked potato + cheese or eggs or meat)
    - vegetables (from a selection of broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, tomato, eggplant, etc) and nuts
    - 2 raw carrots a day
    - about 2 single espressos with sugar
    - 1 Lindt 70% chocolate bar a day
    - a pint of Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream over a week
    - Meat/Fish/Poultry: no more than 2 or 3 meals a weak

No grains.

Less meat works better on me. While i eat only 2-3 "meaty" meals a week, i make it count with high quality ingredients.
    That sounds very reasonable I need to start putting more care into my ingredients... I've gotten so lazy, and I know it makes a difference.

I'm going to try and sneak liver into my diet by mincing it and mixing with minced beef to form burgers
    Last edited by YogaBare; 08-06-2013 at 11:19 PM.

- Ray Peat

Page 3 of 219 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast