Page 23 of 200 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 23

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm abroad visiting family and friends and it made me realise how weird my form of eating is. I basically don't eat anything any more No chicken, fish, avos, grains, starch, vegetables...

Oh well. I feel good!

FWIW, I totally agree with the meat thing. Since I started supping gelatine I've lost my taste for it. I'm happy eating shell fish and dairy every day and just having red meat once or twice a week (and I have to consciously make myself eat it).

Took more progress pics on Friday, and the fat's still coming off the bod!

Quote Originally Posted by Slinkykitty View Post
    My Sleep UGHH. I cannot remember the last time I slept through the night. It must be over 20 years ago.
    I do not have any trouble falling asleep, its the staying asleep that is the problem.
    I go to bed at about 9pm and get up at about 5:30am.
    During the night I wake up multiple times, the least would be about 3 times, the most up to about 10 times. Sometimes I have to go the bathroom but other times not, sometimes I wake up briefly and go back to sleep. Other times It takes about an hour to go back to sleep. I dont wake up with pounding heart or any adrenalin type responses, I just wake up.

The only good thing is that I haven't had nightmares for a while, ( have a long history of those as well as night terrors) . however my sleep is just awful.

I have tried Gelatin before bed, I have also tried a spoonful of honey with salt, and neither have changed anything. Though I'm not sure if it takes time or if those things are supposed to work straight away.
    Sounds very similar to my sleep problems! I used to have dream paralysis all the time, but that was a symptom of PTSD. But my sleep never returned to normal, even when the nightmares stopped.

Eating high carb is helping A LOT. For the honey before bed, you may need to up the dosage.

How is your blood sugar?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 08-19-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Slinkykitty is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I'm abroad visiting family and friends and it made me realise how weird my form of eating is. I basically don't eat anything any more No chicken, fish, avos, grains, starch, vegetables...

Oh well. I feel good!

FWIW, I totally agree with the meat thing. Since I started supping gelatine I've lost my taste for it. I'm happy eating shell fish and dairy every day and just having red meat once or twice a week (and I have to consciously make myself eat it).

Took more progress pics on Friday, and the fat's still coming off the bod!

Sounds very similar to my sleep problems! I used to have dream paralysis all the time, but that was a symptom of PTSD. But my sleep never returned to normal, even when the nightmares stopped.

Eating high carb is helping A LOT. For the honey before bed, you may need to up the dosage.

How is your blood sugar?
    Hi again, my blood sugar is low end of normal. Last blood test random glucose was 3.8 mmol/L (range = 3.6-7.7)
    That was taken after not eating for 6 hours, so I guess its more fasting.
    Other fasting glucose tests Ive been between 3.9-4.3.
    So naturally quite low.

Honey I have only been having a tsp, I might try more tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Last night was bed 9:30.
    Awake 12.00am
    Awake 2.00
    Awake 3.30am
    Awake 4am
    then up at 5.30am.

Thats great that you are losing more fat. I lost another 200g this week. I don't mind it being slow, any loss is good.

Just wondering, has anyone noticed a change in cognitive function on this woe? I'm a complete feather brain, and... I hate to say it... I feel like i'm getting worse! I literally can't leave the house without forgetting something, I can't remember what people say to me, can't remember whose serve it is when I'm playing tennis etc.

Ironically, my mind is sharp, and I'm finding it very easy to communicate my thoughts, and have witty banter with people. So I don't know if I'm just noticing my scattiness more because I have more energy and am juggling more things (so there are more things to forget ) or if there's some correlation with the woe.

Has anyone else has noticed anything, or has any suggestions for improving this?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Slinkykitty View Post
    Hi again, my blood sugar is low end of normal. Last blood test random glucose was 3.8 mmol/L (range = 3.6-7.7)
    That was taken after not eating for 6 hours, so I guess its more fasting.
    Other fasting glucose tests Ive been between 3.9-4.3.
    So naturally quite low.

Honey I have only been having a tsp, I might try more tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Last night was bed 9:30.
    Awake 12.00am
    Awake 2.00
    Awake 3.30am
    Awake 4am
    then up at 5.30am.

Thats great that you are losing more fat. I lost another 200g this week. I don't mind it being slow, any loss is good.
    Okay, it definitely sounds like hypoglycaemic insomnia then. That's very similar to what I have. Your blood sugar is probably dipping too low at night, and this stimulates the release of hormones that regulate glucose levels (adrenaline, glucagon, cortisol, etc), which give you an energy spike and wake you up.

Try experimenting with a really high dose of honey before bed and see how that works for you. I know it's not great calorie-wise, but one night won't undo anything

Congrads on your weight loss! How's your satiation on this woe?

And thank you I was surprised to see the difference again in my pics - I lost a chunk off my hips. It's just such a relief to finally be getting my body back.

- Ray Peat

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    My fatigue has been improving since I started working on boosting my ferritin. I don't consider myself a member of any particular camp. I'm incorporating the elements that make sense to me from different sources. I think the post below sums up my view perfectly:

I think throwing ones self soley into one camp is a mistake, picking relevant bits from a number of sources makes sense.
    I need to take breaks from this forum because I find it incredibly frustrating and myopic at times, but there are so many smart and funny and sincere people here posting about interesting topics, so I get reeled back in. How are you doing?
    Sounds like you're continuing to find your way to your best health. I totally agree with your take on the forum, though my mini-breaks are more of a "read and keep your hands off the keyboard," for the most part. I'm also using the journal forum to discipline myself to write something everyday (not always health related), so that's handy.

I'm doing okay. "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better."
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I could not resist, and bought a bag of 2 wild pinks that looked extremely fresh and were quite cheap. I baked one and it tasted great, and I salted up the second. Since nobody else in the family eats salted fish, I will be severely deviating this week in terms of PUFA intake eating salmon daily. I can't summon remorse.

In response to YB's question, I am not feeling scatter-brained, but I am going through a phase of increased mom-mares & fear of violence. I dunno if it is because I am so pathetic in the martial art classes that I was doing through the summer. It is very unpleasant state of mind. This morning I skipped walking to the office through the park because it was dark & I knew I would be having fear jolt at every shadow or bike-commuter. Anyway, not sure if it has anything to do with the WOE.

What does have to do with the WOE is the decrease in fruit/sweets cravings. It's like because I have it every day and don't feel ashamed, I don't eat it as much & do not binge on fruit.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Just wondering, has anyone noticed a change in cognitive function on this woe? I'm a complete feather brain, and... I hate to say it... I feel like i'm getting worse! I literally can't leave the house without forgetting something, I can't remember what people say to me, can't remember whose serve it is when I'm playing tennis etc.

Ironically, my mind is sharp, and I'm finding it very easy to communicate my thoughts, and have witty banter with people. So I don't know if I'm just noticing my scattiness more because I have more energy and am juggling more things (so there are more things to forget ) or if there's some correlation with the woe.

Has anyone else has noticed anything, or has any suggestions for improving this?
    Yes. That would be me. I'm a little forgetful and I lately say or even do the oddest most unexpected things on an impulse. Last week I was a upset that I couldn't pull myself together for some reason. TBH, I don't believe it to be directly diet related, and I rather attribute those strange for me patterns to the weight loss and the release of toxins in the body from the stored body fat. I can literally see some I've had on for many years melting off.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    What does have to do with the WOE is the decrease in fruit/sweets cravings. It's like because I have it every day and don't feel ashamed, I don't eat it as much & do not binge on fruit.
    Yes to this for me as well. Sugar (fruit and/or in other forms) is no longer off limits and well, it is not that sought after anymore either. It's just something that I now eat.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Exactly, the magic of food being... you know, food. I still can't overcome the emotional barrier to eating grains and legumes. Starting tomorrow, I will try including some into my diet again. It is true that once the habit is formed it is easier to follow it than not. Sometimes to a ridiculous extent!

My major habit forming attempt will again be the 'stop eating after dinner' thing. I am one of the millions that are derailed by the night-time eating. Starting with just eating raw cabbage after supper.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    This is how I divide up my diet currently, except I'm avoiding dairy for a sprint to see how that goes. Not everyone does well on high fat and/or high meat diets. I am going to cut down on my muscle meat in favor of more gelatin (bone broths mainly). Using bone broths to cook everything in place of water really minimizes your meat needs.
    Yeah, it's weird to be eating less meat and be feeling so good about it, because I've always been a heavy meat eater, and if I didn't have meat front and center in at least 2 meals a day, I'd have a weird empty feeling after eating, like something was missing. I don't know if it's a psychological thing or a physical thing, but somehow even just cooking with bone broth seems to completely satisfy this need.

The reason I started eating this way (small amount of animal fat/protein with each meal) came from something I read in Nourishing Traditions, about how even a very small portion of animal fat and protein makes a huge difference in how vegetable/grain protein is digested and absorbed, and most traditional cultures around the world have eaten like this (cooking rice and beans with some animal fat, for example). It seems like foods have a magical synergistic effect on each other that can make them more than the sum of their parts. I also read that consuming small amounts of heme iron with non-heme iron helps the body to assimilate the non-heme iron more efficiently.

I'd describe her (and myself) as 80% Primal. Anyone who eats whole foods basically is. Potatoes, fruit, tapioca, honey, maple syrup, and rice are all Primal "approved", so I don't consider them deviations even if they exceed the carb curve recommendations.
    I guess this is true. That god-awful carb curve is what really repels me from considering myself 'primal'. I think his carb curve probably came out of a need to give many people what they think they need: a black and white rigid protocol (eat this all you want, don't eat this other stuff at all) because they have such an unhealthy relationship with food and can't handle the big picture message 'eat real foods, don't overdo it, get outside, have fun and use your body to do physical stuff'.

I have noticed that in the past few years (when my ferritin has been its lowest) that my short term memory has really suffered and I'm more at a loss for words, and learning has been torturous. Iron is so critical for cognitive function, so I wouldn't be surprised if what you described was related to your iron issues, but this could just be me too focused on iron; you know what they say about having a hammer and everything looking like a nail.

simonb is offline Member
    Agreed. I will make an updated chart, what do you guys think?
    I don't think a chart of calories works for Peat. I like his quote about not having any stipulated foods but listening to the body of the individual (or something along those lines!).

I think the biggest mistake with Peat is people thinking that just drinking orange juice with salt, milk with sugar, and adding in Gelatin is "peat style eating". For me the biggest takeaway is using body temp and pulse to measure the impact of food and changing according to that.
    Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.