Page 2 of 220 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 2

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Just squeeshed a couple of organic oranges and drank it with my two soft boiled eggs sprinkled with salt and a big cup of coffee with a splash of jersey milk and some local raw honey in - pretty peatish

I can see that I eat alsomst everything he recommends (except Coca cola - don't like it - never have). But I would miss starches if I should follow Peat. And what are lychees and sapotas?? Let me eat some "normal" Scandinavian fruits like locally growing apples instead.
    Take a walk on the wild side.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for starting this thread!

I would like to ask why fruit and not starch?

iconoclast79 is offline Senior Member
    What's wrong w/ salmon? I'll take fresh wild caught sockeye over dirty farm raised shrimp. Maybe others have access to wild caught shellfish, but BP pretty much ruined that for the US.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread!

I would like to ask why fruit and not starch?
    And the wheels keep on turning.... from the starch side of the tracks here is Jaminet on the subject:

Is It Good to Eat Sugar? - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

Higher Carb Dieting: Pros and Cons - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

I think the comments section gets really interesting in these little blog posts as you can see both sides hashing things out. I'm sure someone can post the Peat side of the fence here for you to peruse as well. I'm agnostic in carb source myself so no horse to back here.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast79 View Post
    What's wrong w/ salmon? I'll take fresh wild caught sockeye over dirty farm raised shrimp. Maybe others have access to wild caught shellfish, but BP pretty much ruined that for the US.
    My understanding was that farm raised shellfish was not nearly as detrimental or as big an issue (probably due to low fat), but maybe a Peat person can verify.

Found this Wild versus Farm-Raised Oysters: Which are better? | W&T Seafood

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToldUzo View Post
    I can see that I eat alsomst everything he recommends (except Coca cola - don't like it - never have). But I would miss starches if I should follow Peat. And what are lychees and sapotas?? Let me eat some "normal" Scandinavian fruits like locally growing apples instead.
    A lot of people who eat Peatly eat starches. He doesn't say NO starches, he recommends moderate to low starch consumption. Potatoes with fat (butter, coconut oil, etc.) being his favorite pick; nixtamalized corn (lime-treated), white rice, and oats being his other choices from best to worst. I still eat starches, usually potatoes and white rice. There is no exact protocol, just a compilation of recommendations.

Also, there are more fruits than just these few in the images. Those just happen to be some of his popular picks.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    And the wheels keep on turning.... from the starch side of the tracks here is Jaminet on the subject:

Is It Good to Eat Sugar? - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

Higher Carb Dieting: Pros and Cons - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

I think the comments section gets really interesting in these little blog posts as you can see both sides hashing things out. I'm sure someone can post the Peat side of the fence here for you to peruse as well. I'm agnostic in carb source myself so no horse to back here.
    Thanks for the links.

I was LC myself until recently. We moved to a tropical island, everywhere we go are fresh mangoes, watermelon, bananas, soursop, etc.. seemed like a shame to not to eat locally (prior to this, I disliked fruit as I found imported fruits tasteless).

I'm just wondering if I should make more effort to replace the starch in my diet with fruit. Fruit seems like a more natural food-- you can just pick them off trees and eat... and starch needs to be well-cooked. Having a rice cooker just makes it easy.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    I'm planning to dive into Peat starting next week. Looking to eat fruit,plantains, and orange juice multiple times each day, and have a starch probably at dinner time (either potato or rice...or pizza ). I'll cook only with grass fed butter and coconut oil, and look to keep PUFAs and added ingredients as low as possible. Ice cream will be my treat of choice, and probably part of my daily diet. My protein will come mostly from gelatin, cheese, organic (hopefully grassfed) milk, and a few times a week shrimp/shellfish/white fish/beef. I'll use sweeteners like raw honey and maple syrup, and I'll try to have chocolate a few times a week.
    Hoping to keep protein high, fat lowish and mostly saturated, and carbs and sugar high.

I have been playing around with it the last few weeks and have been doing well with it so far. Excited to jump into it soon.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Thanks for the links.

I was LC myself until recently. We moved to a tropical island, everywhere we go are fresh mangoes, watermelon, bananas, soursop, etc.. seemed like a shame to not to eat locally (prior to this, I disliked fruit as I found imported fruits tasteless).

I'm just wondering if I should make more effort to replace the starch in my diet with fruit. Fruit seems like a more natural food-- you can just pick them off trees and eat... and starch needs to be well-cooked. Having a rice cooker just makes it easy.
    Wow, that's amazing girlhk! Hope you're enjoying the island

STARCH

Personally, I ditched starch about 6 weeks ago and have not looked back. It made me realise how different to fruit it is as an food and energy source. Starch never filled me up for very long, I could eat huge amounts of it, and often felt a little tired after eating it. And... although I adore it, rice makes me gain weight (unless it's in sushi, for some reason ) Since I ditched starch I have better energy, a satiable appetite, and weirdly, my body scent has changed... I never need deodorant anymore!

Anyway, those are subjective views. Peat's are:

- Eating starch, by increasing insulin and lowering the blood sugar, stimulates the appetite, causing a person to eat more
    - Sugar supports metabolism better than starch

Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context

Saying that, as J3nn said, starch has a place in a Peat diet if you want it. I still eat sushi
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry, I'll get to the question about fatty fish later, just wanted to share this first:

FRUIT

Here's a list of the most healthful (according to Peat).

Apples, peeled and cooked

Cherimoya

Cherries

Guavas

Longans

Lychees

Olives- lye processed, no sulfites or iron

Oranges

Pawpaws

Pears, peeled and cooked

Sapotes

Tangerines

Watermelon

Avocado, occasional use

Lemons

Limes

These are just his preferred ones. He leans towards those with avoidable seeds (to avoid gut irritation), and that haven't been subjected to excessive manufacturing processes: Biochemical changes in some tropical fruits during ripening

He also recommends grape juice and, of course, OJ.

As with everything, he's very considerate of the hormonal impact of fruit. He considers orange and guava as anti-estrogenic fruits.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 2 of 220 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast