Page 190 of 220 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 2194

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 190

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decoski View Post
    Peat recommends Sole and Cod for fish sources. I try to mix up what meat I have for dinner, but it is more often red meat. Iron, I know, but I'm not drinking coffee (prevents absorption of iron) with the red meat just before bedtime. I'll take my chance with iron, for now, and even PUFA to a lesser extent as I will most likely eat chicken more than the "once every 10 days" recommendation.
    If it makes you feel better...

Peat's iron recommendations are based on studies on the dangers of iron supplements... supplements designed to release a large amount of bioavailable iron into the bloodstream at one time.

Red Meat is slow-digesting, the iron is not as bioavailable as that in supplements, and your body has time to downregulate the iron transporters between the digestive tract and the bloodstream, reducing the absorption as needed based on the iron stores in your body and already available in the blood.

I don't worry about red meat with regards to iron; I just worry about balancing muscle meat with other sorts of proteins.

Giantsbran is offline Member
    Im buying some great lakes gelatin to eat with muscle meat, but am confused on which one to get. I see there is a Collagen Hydrolysate option, as well as a Unflavored Gelatin option. Which is the one that peat recommends?

TQP
    Both is fine. One doesn't solidify and one does. They're the same composition...one is just broken down into smaller segments of amino acids than the other one.

the hydrolysate is easier since you can add it to everything.

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    2 peat questions:

I know Peat recommends eating carbs w/ protein bc its promotes better blood sugar balance or something, but is it also the other way around? Eat protein with carbs?

Also, seeing as he advocates OJ-is stuff like odwalla/juices ok as well? Or should it be unpasteurized juice?

TQP
    1. Peat recommends carbs with protein because protein is "stressful" and carbs blunt cortisol levels. I don't bother to do protein with carbs.

2. No juices from concentrate... I don't know about pasteurization.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Didn't Peat say he used to drink the frozen orange juice concentrate until he discovered they were adding something to the processing?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

TQP
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Didn't Peat say he used to drink the frozen orange juice concentrate until he discovered they were adding something to the processing?
    I thought the concentrated stuff itself is okay, but the water is the problem. Fluoridated.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    I thought the concentrated stuff itself is okay, but the water is the problem. Fluoridated.
    Oooh... yeah it's so hard to avoid disgusting water anymore. Our home tap water tastes like a pool. Yuck.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Decoski is offline Senior Member
    For lunch I had homemade sloppy joe without bun covered in shredded cheddar cheese, an orange, and a half glass of milk with two tablespoons of Great Lakes hyrolysate collagen gelatin mixed in. I felt energized and satisfied after this combo. How much of the gelatin supplement should I take daily? The can recommends one tablespoon twice daily.

TQP

Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Decoski View Post
    For lunch I had homemade sloppy joe without bun covered in shredded cheddar cheese, an orange, and a half glass of milk with two tablespoons of Great Lakes hyrolysate collagen gelatin mixed in. I felt energized and satisfied after this combo. How much of the gelatin supplement should I take daily? The can recommends one tablespoon twice daily.
    I'd say 2T is a good amount for most.

It depends on your goals I guess. I am trying to balance amino acids, so it depends on the other proteins I consume.