Page 17 of 202 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 17

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I know Peat's views are contrary to this, but Ive just been reading some stuff from Dr. John Lee - the guy who coined the term "Oestrogen Dominance". He was also Australia's foremost thyroid researcher. He believed that O.D frequently originated with deficient iron storage (i.e.. ferritin).

Adequate iron storage is essential to "fire-up" intracellular energy output, from which adenosine tri-phosphate (ATP) is produced. To generate sufficient & quality ATP, an iron storage of 125-150ug/L (within a reference range of 20-300ug/L) is essential for optimal metabolic & liver detoxification functioning. Metabolic activity & Phase II liver detoxification pathways are ATP dependant.
    He also links low ferritin to hair loss, and gastrointensinal probs: Serious gastrointestinal pathology found in patients with serum ferritin values ? 50 ng/ml

Edit: maybe Peat's views aren't incongruous to this. He writes against iron, not ferritin. Perhaps there's a difference.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 08-14-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You did actually. Ages ago I got a seriously high cholerestol reading, and you blamed my "own version of primal" and "eating several times a day". Never mind that practically everyone who goes on a high fat diet has an increase in cholesterol Such a comment demonstates blinkered vision to me, so yeah, I don't take what you say seriously.
    Evidence? I believe that eating several times per day causes chronically elevated insulin, which interferes with weight loss. I have never believed it had any relationship to cholesterol. I'm happy to have a higher than CW advised cholesterol. Put up the evidence and I'll resile. Otherwise you owe the apology
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Ah, sorry I took that b8 m8

Those links show that the requirement is very small though, and doesn't address the fact we can actually synthesis DHA or an equivalent without needing PUFA at all.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Ah, sorry I took that b8 m8

Those links show that the requirement is very small though, and doesn't address the fact we can actually synthesis DHA or an equivalent without needing PUFA at all.
    No, the limited synthesis that does occur requires PUFA precursors, so PUFA required one way or another. Interesting point is that DHA synthesis is upregulated in lactating women, so there does seem to be some adaptability. Nothing about whether the adaptability is possible otherwise, but that's your risk, not mine
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

when you are "deficient" in PUFA, the body will make large amounts of mead acid (up to 1300 percent more), since the desaturase enzymes aren't being inhibited by the PUFA.

Mead acid can fulfill all the same roles, without the toxicity.

"n-9 Eicosatrienoic acid (ETrA), also known as Mead acid, is a minor fatty acid in essential fatty acid (EFA)-sufficient healthy subjects but is found at increased levels in EFA deficiency. This study examined the influence of dietary ETrA from a biological source on plasma and tissue ETrA. The incorporation was reduced in diets with higher LA content compared to diets containing similar amounts of ETrA but lower LA. All rats remained apparently healthy, and histological survey of major organs revealed no abnormality. While the long-term implications for health of ingestion of diets rich in ETrA remain to be established, rats appear to tolerate high levels of dietary ETrA without adverse effects. Dietary enrichment with ETrA warrants further investigation for possible beneficial effects in models of inflammation and autoimmunity, as well as in other conditions in which mediators derived from n-6 fatty acids can affect homeostasis adversely."

"the Mead fats are important factors in the stability of our mammalian tissues. This protective lipid system probably interacts with cellular proteins, modifying the way they bind water and carbon dioxide and ions, affecting their electrons and their chemical reactivity."

ARA can be synthesized from MA, which can make DPA which fulfills the roles of DHA as they are strongly correlated

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Evidence? I believe that eating several times per day causes chronically elevated insulin, which interferes with weight loss. I have never believed it had any relationship to cholesterol. I'm happy to have a higher than CW advised cholesterol. Put up the evidence and I'll resile. Otherwise you owe the apology
    Here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Lipid lowering drugs definitely aren't the answer, but I wouldn't be blase about this number.

IIRC, you eat often and have your own version of primal. Might be worth reviewing
    Thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83507.html
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

My cholesterol levels now resemble what they did when I was 15 and converting it to lots of pro-sex hormones.

Timthetaco Guest
    That was an interesting aside about brewer's yeast. I recently started supplementing baker's yeast for my IBS. Appears to be helping. There shouldn't be any difference between baker's and brewer's, I'm assuming?

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    I know Peat's views are contrary to this, but Ive just been reading some stuff from Dr. John Lee - the guy who coined the term "Oestrogen Dominance". He was also Australia's foremost thyroid researcher. He believed that O.D frequently originated with deficient iron storage (i.e.. ferritin).

Interesting info, YB. My last bloodwork (Apr) showed my ferritin level at 16, and at the time I was overwhelmed with all the typical hypothyroid symptoms - always bloody cold, hair loss, weight gain, crushing lethargy, etc, etc. Since switching up the iron supps I'm taking, feeling more carb love and working with my ND to detox and 'unstick' my liver (with suspected estrogen dominance), things have finally started looking up; my hair loss has slowed to normal amounts, I'm cold a lot less and less often, my energy is good enough I can actually consider exercising again. My ND suggested I wait another month or so before having more bloodwork done, but I know that ferritin level will be up, and suspect my TSH will be down to a more normal level as well.
    Will be looking into more from Dr Lee...

That? Hardly what you claim it to be