Page 14 of 178 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 14

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Sound like at least it is up to N=1 then!
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Haha, yes! I clearly got some of it wrong, (weeks, not months). But it seems like one of those things where if it's good for you, have at it. If not, ignore. It's not recommended or condemned. I suppose I took him telling the anecdote about his father's use of it to be great.
    I bought it (on Gorbag's recommendation) and was taking it after workouts, and I really liked it, but - it bloats me! So I'm taking a break... I feel like I need more B vits though, but I'm not sure what source to go for.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I bought it (on Gorbag's recommendation) and was taking it after workouts, and I really liked it, but - it bloats me! So I'm taking a break... I feel like I need more B vits though, but I'm not sure what source to go for.
    Have you tried nutritional yeast?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Paleobird Guest
    Brewers yeast has a high chromium content. Supplementing with chromium has been shown to improve glucose levels in diabetics.

Brewer

Have you tried nutritional yeast?
    No... Do you recommend it? I thought I should avoid yeast, it being oestrogenic n' all... Even ACV bloats me
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

No... Do you recommend it? I thought I should avoid yeast, it being oestrogenic n' all... Even ACV bloats me
    I like it but you might want to avoid it if you think it might cause distress. It's also high in (vegetarian) protein. I add it to bone broth or tomato juice to make a creamy soup or mix it with rice and butter. Also love it with zoodles (zucchini noodles) cooked in coconut oil. IMO it needs lots of salt to taste good. I really love it on popcorn with coconut oil and salt.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I bought it (on Gorbag's recommendation) and was taking it after workouts, and I really liked it, but - it bloats me! So I'm taking a break... I
    Maybe starting out with a low dosage - like one small tea spoon - and increasing up to 2-3 topped tablespoons after some weeks? The gut flora must get time to change and get used to it, probably...
    "When a person is poor in knowledge then he is rich in ignorance and stubbornness, carefully heeding around the little that he knows ..."
    - Gorbag

I like it but you might want to avoid it if you think it might cause distress. It's also high in (vegetarian) protein. I add it to bone broth or tomato juice to make a creamy soup or mix it with rice and butter. Also love it with zoodles (zucchini noodles) cooked in coconut oil. IMO it needs lots of salt to taste good. I really love it on popcorn with coconut oil and salt.
    Lol - sounds versatile I actually like the taste of Brewer's yeast, weirdly! Tastes like Guinness to me Yeah, I'll give the yeast a miss for now. Thanks though!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Maybe starting out with a low dosage - like one small tea spoon - and increasing up to 2-3 topped tablespoons after some weeks? The gut flora must get time to change and get used to it, probably...
    I started with a tea spoon every few days... To be honest, my gut is a bit of a mess, so I'm trying to cut out things that I know definitely cause bloating (pretty much everything ) but I'll definitely try the Brewer's yeast again once I have the gut sorted. I want skin like Gorbag's!

- Ray Peat

Oh, in other news (and sorry if it's TMI) - I had two iron lunches in a row, and guess what happened today? Yup. Got my period. Not even remotely due.

Does anyone know if hormonal imbalances affect your ability to absorb iron? The only thing that's coming to me is that the oestrogen dominance (that's making me infertile) means that my womb lining can't build up, and maybe this is connected to have low ferritin and getting frequent periods when I eat iron-heavy food, but not getting any period when I don't eat iron?

I guess I'm due another scan...

- Ray Peat

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    You have to ponder where these foods come from, cold temperatures, yes? Anything can be considered a "whole food" to something else, they probably weren't put here for us to consume. In my opinion.

“Polyunsaturated oils defend the seeds from the animals that would eat them, the oils block the digestive enzymes in the animals’ stomachs. In addition, seeds and nuts are designed to germinate in early spring, so their energy stores must be accessible when the temperatures are cool, and they normally don’t have to remain viable through the hot summer months. Unsaturated oils are liquid when they are cold, and this is necessary for any organism that lives at low temperatures. These oils easily get rancid (spontaneously oxidizing) when they are warm and exposed to oxygen. When the oils are stored in our tissues, they are much warmer, and more directly exposed to oxygen, than they would be in the seeds, and so their tendency to oxidize is very great. These oxidative processes can damage enzymes and other parts of cells, and especially their ability to produce energy (cellular respiration).”
    Does your brain hurt from all the oxidised PUFA or is it that your head is cold?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

PrimalCon New York
    Oh, in other news (and sorry if it's TMI) - I had two iron lunches in a row, and guess what happened today? Yup. Got my period. Not even remotely due.

Does anyone know if hormonal imbalances affect your ability to absorb iron? The only thing that's coming to me is that the oestrogen dominance (that's making me infertile) means that my womb lining can't build up, and maybe this is connected to have low ferritin and getting frequent periods when I eat iron-heavy food, but not getting any period when I don't eat iron?

I guess I'm due another scan...
    Hormones are so complicated. I have the exact opposite problem: I can't get rid of my period! I don't know how the iron relates as I have iron-deficient anemia, low ferritin, and the whole shebang, but like I said, I get way too much Aunt Flo.