Page 13 of 219 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 13

Timthetaco Guest
    I was going to read that and get back to you until I saw it was almost 200 pages.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I was going to read that and get back to you until I saw it was almost 200 pages.
    It basically found that there is paltry evidence to suggest fish oil has beneficial effects on cardiovascular disease, and that they have all been secondary-prevention trials.
    nihil

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    You know, I don't give a crap about scientific studies any more. I don't believe you can either trust the conditions these studies were taken under, or the perception of the people who formulate hypothesis based on them. I can't take any of them seriously.

I believe in eating what 100% makes me feel good. Some people might say "OOOOH - but you don't know the damage it's doing to you internally!" Yeah? Well, nuts to that. I'd prefer to die younger, living my next years feeling great rather than feeling like death but being perserved til I'm 80 because I didn't have the energy to live my life.

Basically, I don't take the research Peat has done seriously. But his crack pot suggestions work, and that's all that matters.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Basically, I don't take the research Peat has done seriously. But his crack pot suggestions work, and that's all that matters.
    That's what really matters after all Yogabare! What's Peats stance on Brewers yeast, I suspect that he may be negative?
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    That's what really matters after all Yogabare! What's Peats stance on Brewers yeast, I suspect that he may be negative?
    He thinks it's great. Says his father used it for a few months and it reversed his diabetes. Brewer's yeast is close enough to nutritional yeast, which I love and use often with coconut oil. Tastes cheesy and it's loaded with b vitamins and folate. Never had brewer's as an adult, but my parents said they added it to my bottles when I was a baby and it ended my colic.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

He's ambiguous about it. Because it's a yeast, it's got the wrong mineral ratios, and is high in oestrogen, buuut he's a huge fan of Vit B, and says that Brewer's yeast can cure diabetes (though I'm not sure how).

Brewer's yeast has been used successfully to treat diabetes. In the l930s, my father had severe diabetes, but after a few weeks of living on brewer's yeast, he recovered and never had any further evidence of diabetes.

Besides its high B-vitamin and protein content, yeast is an unusual food that should be sparingly used, because of its high phosphorous/calcium ratio, high potassium to sodium ratio, and high estrogen content.

The insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas have estrogen receptors, but I don't know of any new research investigating this aspect of yeast therapy. In rabbit studies, diabetes produced by alloxan poisoning, which kills the beta cells, was cured by DHEA treatment, and beta cells were found to have regenerated in the pancreatic islets.
    More here: Diabetes, scleroderma, oils and hormones
    Last edited by YogaBare; 08-14-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

What's Peats stance on Brewers yeast, I suspect that he may be negative?
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    He thinks it's great.
    He's ambiguous about it.
    LOL at our exchange! Peat haters are always complaining that his research is too open to interpretation - could be the perfect example here

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    He thinks it's great. Says his father used it for a few months and it reversed his diabetes. Brewer's yeast is close enough to nutritional yeast, which I love and use often with coconut oil. Tastes cheesy and it's loaded with b vitamins and folate. Never had brewer's as an adult, but my parents said they added it to my bottles when I was a baby and it ended my colic.
    Good to know since I have used it on and off for many years and know that it works good for me! I usually take between 25 and 50 gram per day, b-vitamins, amino-acids, pro-biotics and all that...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

He's ambiguous about it.
    Sound like at least it is up to N=1 then!

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    LOL at our exchange! Peat haters are always complaining that his research is too open to interpretation - could be the perfect example here
    Haha, yes! I clearly got some of it wrong, (weeks, not months). But it seems like one of those things where if it's good for you, have at it. If not, ignore. It's not recommended or condemned. I suppose I took him telling the anecdote about his father's use of it to be great.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams