Page 117 of 202 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 2013

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 117

simonb is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    It seems that my cortisol is now dropping (indicated by the hugely improved sleep) and this is affecting my blood sugar.

ETA: You have NO idea how nice it feels to be able to go to bed early and not worry that you'll wake up at 1am and be up for the day
    Can you pinpoint what is causing this? My sleep has always been disturbed since a young kid.

is it just continuing on this WOE? Or a specific "thing" you have added?

Thanks!
    Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

simonb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    No offense, but I honestly think you are working out too much.
    I agree 100%, Leida's workout volume is CRAAAAY !
    Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I sit all day on my butt, 2 hrs a day for movement (both slow and a bit more upbeat) does not look like enough imo. I mean, I would have loved to be able to spend hours outdoors walking daily, but it is not possible in our lives, so... well, I dunno. It just feels unnatural to sit all day. And standing station was not working for me (tired, unfocused).

Anyway, I feel much more rested finally after doing nothing on Friday and Sat. I read the list of the ingredients on the herbal blend I have from my acupuncturist and it has gin-seng, so I will not add radiola for now. I am now only drinking it at night, since I am wondering if drinking it in the morning added to sleepiness.

Anyway, mom dropped 10 more lbs during the summer, she is now 15 lbs lighter than I am. I am glad PHD works for her so well, but I am also super-ashamed of myself too.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It just feels unnatural to sit all day. And standing station was not working for me (tired, unfocused).

Anyway, mom dropped 10 more lbs during the summer, she is now 15 lbs lighter than I am. I am glad PHD works for her so well, but I am also super-ashamed of myself too.
    Perhaps try the standing workstation while abstaining from so much exercise...maybe the combination was just too much.

Feeling shame because your experience doesn't align with your mother's is counterproductive and destructive. You clearly have other issues going on that has your body hanging onto some extra weight that your mother likely doesn't have to contend with. I understand how hard it is to get over that mindset - I grew up overweight with a thin mother and grandmother who had me on diets and seeing nutritionists from the age of six, but used food to show positive attention. The best thing I've done for myself lately is to accept my weight, however high it is, until I get my health issues sorted out. It's not easy, but I feel better mentally, which gives the motivation to keep on trying to get healthier.

No, I find it too hard to work when I am standing for 8 hours. My mom was always heavier than me, and at 60 + I bet she has more issues than I do, lol. PHD just really worked like magic for her. She went from like 140+ lbs to 120. Her belly fat disappeared, and she is not hungry... a textbook success story case. Anyway, I am glad for her, just need to work harder to find what works for me.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    I can help.

Cortisol is perfectly normal, perfectly healthy, compound produced by the body, for the body.

Stress is a change in homeostasis that originates from outside the body and acts upon the body. All stress seeks to destroy the body either cumulatively or acutely.

The body needs to protect itself from stress. Infact the body is finely tuned to stress that it can even improve itself in response to a stress. Cortisol is a critical body component that our bodies use to respond to stressors. Without cortisol we shan't live lengthy, able lives, we would be crippled by stress.

If you have high cortisol, you don't have high cortisol, you have high stress.

You don't need to do 'supposed' cortisol lowering activities like meditation, taking baths withs Epsom salts or even eating a peat diet or supplementing other hormones or taking adaptogens. You need to reduce or stop that which is causing your body to respond with cortisol. You need to stop or reduce stress, particularly stress that is prolonged and accumulative (job, exercise, diet etc).

Look externally at what's challenging your homeostasis, don't look internally at your body's response, it is likely your body is doing the best it can.

If you have low cortisol, either your adrenals are totally overworked and your capacity to produce cortisol is reduced (really bad, massive de-stress needed), Or your body isn't having to respond to large, prolonged bouts of stress (really good, high five).

Note; food within your digestive tract (like air within your lungs) is still "outside" your body, thus is still an external challenge to your homeostasis (ie a stress).

Sent from my iPhone

This seems smart. You guys are self medicating using the exact same protocol the doctors you don't trust use. You need to treat the cause, not the effect.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Well, the day I win a lottery, I will give up my job and move to a benevolent climate where I can walk along the ocean shore for kilometers, raise my garden, read and paint, and swim before breakfast in the warm salty waters. I promise. But seeing it is unlikely to happen, I have 19-27 years of living in a city with 6+ months of winter, ridiculous traffic and over-crowded recreation facilities. And yes, that's a much better lot than that of 99% of people in the world.

Doesn't mean I don't want to feel and look well.

Peace x is offline Member
    "The best thing I've done for myself lately is to accept my weight"

The most sensible, loving and kind thing I read on here x

seaweed is online now Senior Member
    Well, the day I win a lottery, I will give up my job and move to a benevolent climate where I can walk along the ocean shore for kilometers, raise my garden, read and paint, and swim before breakfast in the warm salty waters.
    i could give up my job and do this. except it is relatively cold here so i would need a wetsuit to swim and i wouldnt have any money to do anything at all. even run a car and the kids would suffer alot. avoiding stress is not easy. i poss should look into ways of incorporating more of the reading and painting but i found long term low carb totally fried my ability to focus on things that take a while.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    You clearly have other issues going on that has your body hanging onto some extra weight
    LT, I love what you're saying here. I never understood this until recently. Until you deal with internal issues, your body will keep you at a certain weight. As soon as I accepted my body (a few weeks ago) and focused on wellness instead of thinness, I started losing weight again. Now I've taken such a relaxed attitude to my body. I don't really care anymore. I'm gradually losing weight, but I know I won't reach my goal body fat % until I sort out my health issues.

Focusing on health rather than fat is so empowering.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post
    This seems smart. You guys are self medicating using the exact same protocol the doctors you don't trust use. You need to treat the cause, not the effect.
    <sigh>. Yes, it seems so, but it's not. Unfortunately it's just like telling someone that depression is "all in their head".
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat