Page 114 of 179 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1782

Thread: Primal with MOAR Peat: Food & Hormone Discussion (Ray Peat Followers) page 114

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    On a separate note entirely, out of curiosity I searched the forum for the very first post I made on MDA... here it is!

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to primal living - been off grains for one month, and fruit and honey for just two weeks. I was a total fruit junkie (normal for me to eat 5 apples in an evening... and have up to ten cups of sweetened tea!), and as soon as I gave it up I felt AMAZING! I've always suffered from low energy (get burned out very easily), but I've never had so much energy and vitality as I do now I also dropped quite a few pounds in a matter of days - I don't weigh myself, but I could feel from my clothes.

Anyway, over the last few days I am getting serious carb cravings. I see bars of chocolate floating in front of my eyes, and I keep stopping at restaurant windows and reading the pizza menus (pizza's not even my thing!!). But the research I've done into sugar has been so conclusive that I havent really been tempted to cave. However, I am substituting BIG time, by eating tonnes of nuts (brazil, cashew, almond), greek yogurt (not strictly primal I know, but I'm veggie!), and sometimes indulging in 85% dark chocolate.

My question is: when do the cravings end? I'm eating an insane amount of nuts, which I know isn't that good for you, and also I don't want to put on weight, but for the moment I feel like I just have to ride the wave.

I've also been feeling really lethargic over the last few days, and really tired in the mornings, but I initially attributed it to eating too much fibre. Could this be a mild carb flu? I was amazed that I didn't have any detox symptoms.

Any info would be really appreciated!
    The bit about sugar - LOL!!! And being a fruit junkie... Jesus. I was a total carb-o-phobe. How things change...

It's like reading a post from another person. The classic signs of low carb faleo are all there: elevated energy (from stress hormones), dropping water weight, cravings for junk food, good energy ending... and blaming it on "carb flu". Glimpses of the ED are there too (I wasn't admitting it to a bunch of strangers at that point), and this was probably a few days before I "caved" and started eating cookies with nutella and B+J for breakfast.

Makes me sad that I still read these kinds of posts from people all the time.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    haha, I think most of us have made a similar post, or at least experienced the carb cravings at the beginning of Paleo/Primal/VLC diet. The nuts and nut butters used to be one of substitutes for me at the time. What a major fail

It certainly pays off when we open up to the initially outlandish sounding alternative, doesn't it?

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    On a separate note entirely, out of curiosity I searched the forum for the very first post I made on MDA... here it is!

The bit about sugar - LOL!!! And being a fruit junkie... Jesus. I was a total carb-o-phobe. How things change...

It's like reading a post from another person. The classic signs of low carb faleo are all there: elevated energy (from stress hormones), dropping water weight, cravings for junk food, good energy ending... and blaming it on "carb flu". Glimpses of the ED are there too (I wasn't admitting it to a bunch of strangers at that point), and this was probably a few days before I "caved" and started eating cookies with nutella and B+J for breakfast.

Makes me sad that I still read these kinds of posts from people all the time.
    Reading that brought back so many memories when I first went Paleo and thought the Paleo Gurus were gods. (yes, really).

I don't even know what else to say, other than how vulnerable I made myself in believing EVERYTHING these people said, because I didn't know better.I've learnt that most of these people (mainly authors now) have shared their knowledge because they had in most cases, quite major, often genetic issues which were not at all related to my own personal circumstance.

I still have a way to go before becoming 'healthy-normal', but I can now see the light, with a special thanks to Zach for his first comment about me being so low carb at 22 years old and not being at an ideal weight. This thread is awesome!

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

Do you take your measurements? Initially my weight didn't change, then I rapidly lost 8 lbs, then regained 2, and am now losing again. But my measurements keep going down the whole time.

Also, remember you've only really cut the fat in the last few days - it's going to take some time Believe me, I understand the impatient!
    I keep track of measurements, they are the same to slightly higher (high end of normal fluctuations). The fat has been down for a week now, but yeah, I know it isn't long. I just feel so frustrated to never see change.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    So I've started using a gainer this week, tired of being skinny. Paleo just doesn't work for a hardgainer. I hope I won't lose my abs.
    It's mostly sugar and whey. I guess it's peat-approved!
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    So I've started using a gainer this week, tired of being skinny. Paleo just doesn't work for a hardgainer. I hope I won't lose my abs.
    It's mostly sugar and whey. I guess it's peat-approved!
    Add some gelatin to balance the tryptophan in the whey and it's totes Peaty.

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    I just realized I've actually been following a peaty diet for years!

Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Lagavulin, etc.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    So, folks, sorry to bug you, but iw as wondering what you will advise for reducing cortisol level. I tried searching internet, and the advice given was self-contradictory and wtf'ish (reduce fat through eating nuts... duh?) Does this article below make sense or is it a complete BS?

How to Decrease Cortisol Levels | eHow

Please, remember that blood testing on anything but the basic level is not available to me (Canada).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    So, folks, sorry to bug you, but iw as wondering what you will advise for reducing cortisol level. I tried searching internet, and the advice given was self-contradictory and wtf'ish (reduce fat through eating nuts... duh?) Does this article below make sense or is it a complete BS?

How to Decrease Cortisol Levels | eHow

Please, remember that blood testing on anything but the basic level is not available to me (Canada).
    His site looks very scam-like but his info is very in depth and good. I don't remember his diet info at all, but I think a Peat diet along with Dr. Lam's lifestyle info is the best.

I also really recommend wearing orange glasses in the evening. I used to have a hard time going to sleep early, but those get your body ready for sleep and it becomes easy to go to bed early, which is key in lowering cortisol. My personal opinion is that sleeping in the dark, starting off around 9-10pm is the most important factor. The sleep before midnight is more restorative. I dismissed that info for many years but as soon as I started following it I started to see big improvements. I don't sleep more over all than I used to, I've just moved the time block earlier.
    Comprehensive Adrenal Fatigue Article - DrLam - Body. Mind. Nutrition

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Hi PaleoMom, I usually go to bed between 8 and 9:30 pm, and fall asleep immediately. I wake up early, though, and often, usually around 1-2 am and then I have to get up by 4 am. Thanks' for Lam's recommendation, i will read through!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.