Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to this lifestyle ...... very new. page

Pebbles1969 is offline Junior Member

New to this lifestyle ...... very new.

As in I haven't really started yet.

I have weight to lose. A lot of weight. Looking at strict numbers, if I wanted to get to a scale weight of 150, I've got 75 big ones to get rid of. I'm turning 44 later this year (OMG) and I think it's time I got my life (and health) in order.

I did low carb (ala Atkins) probably 10-15 years ago with some success, but of course gained it all back. Then I did WW on and off with some success, but of course gained it all back. Then I did HCG a couple of years ago, lost 50# in about 6 months, and yes you guessed it, gained it all back.

I started WW (again) about 7-8 weeks ago and lost 12# in 6 weeks, but I wasn't eating good foods. I was spending my points on garbage so I was always hungry. Something struck a cord in me and I decided to try Atkins (again). This was a week and a half ago. I'm down 3.5# so far. I don't eat any of the Atkins products -- I'm basically doing BPC in the morning and then when I'm hungry (which sometimes isn't until the evening), I'll eat some protein. It's regular grocery store stuff and not the lean kind and not grass-fed. I know that is something I need to work on, but budget comes into play.

I was eating cheese, but think I might scale way down. I also sometimes use heavy whipping cream in my coffee. And, um, splenda - 2 teaspoons, in my morning coffee. Don't throw rocks at me!

I just want to lose weight (desperately) and be healthy. On Atkins'72 induction, I feel like all I can eat is meat and lettuce. The list is super restrictive during this phase, but come on. I want cauliflower, zucchini, onions and broccoli!

Anyone have any tips to help me get over this "scared of carbs" thing going on in my head so I can get the scale moving and be healthy?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments.

phigment is offline Senior Member
    Just keep reading and doing research. Eventually you will sucumb to the realization that real food is good and become angry for all the lies that were taught as truth.

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    ^ Seconded!

Also, stop thinking of those things you named as "carbs" and think of them as vegetables, look up things about the various veg and its unique nutrient profile, places in history etc., maybe?

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Oh boy.....a pendulum dieter. These are always the most fun

The first thing you have to understand is that primal really, actually for once, is not just a diet. I have always said that it is much a mentality than what you put in your mouth. That is also what can make it much more powerful than other plans.

The first step I take when I have to actually counsel people is to have them take out all of the food in their house, or very close to it. They do this on TV shows and it is because even in real life, it is very powerful. It's a way of saying "It won't be like this, ever again." So yes, I would do that. Then go by a few of my OWN pillars of making this work. I am sure many others have better ones and more applicable to your situation. We have some people on here that have pulled off miracles I cannot touch with my meager accomplishments on this plan.

1) Go shopping with the understanding that when you get hungry (and you will, it's life), you are going to eat the most calorie dense thing in your home. I know that I do this, so I try to make sure it is NOT poison food when I do it. Often it is cottage cheese, nuts, or especially my 70% dark chocolate I keep in the freezer for melt down time.
    2) Therefore, you stay primal at the store, not at home. When you DO treat yourself, do it while out. It is going to happen and trying to not join a group of friends for dinner for the sake of your diet isn't sustainable.
    3) Sustainability is EVERYTHING. I cannot stress that one enough....any plan you do, steps you take, workouts you do, all of it has to go back to one question: could I do this every day from now on? If not, you are going to fall off the wagon.
    4) Don't eat because of what time it is. Eat when you are hungry. Sounds easy, but it goes a long way.

I hope this helps. If I were you, I'd throw the adkins stuff in the garbage. Not sustainable, requires extreme self-denial (which we are programmed to rebel from), and not enjoyable. Just look at Sisson's list, and buy only that for your home. Don't let the fanatical be the enemy of the sustainable

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    Welcome home.

Yeah been there and done that, still have the over-sized t-shirts. This is not Atkins, This is not WW or any other weight loss program so dont approach it like that. It is a way of eating that is healthy and sustainable long term, so forget all that other stuff it wont help.

The best suggestion is to read, Read everything here or buy Mark's book. Then read Robb Wolf's book "The Paleo Solution" and listen to his podcasts. Also the Everyday Paleo podcast with Jason Seib is great if you have a problem loosing and keeping weight off.

Another good place to start is to read “Eat Like A Predator, Not Like Prey”: The Paleo Diet In Six Easy Steps, A Motivational Guide - GNOLLS.ORG He will explain the what the how and why fairly well.

A big problem seems to be that women chronically do not eat enough and of the wrong foods, constantly being on a diet and watching the scale. Throw away that damned scale, dont look at it hell give it to someone you dont like.

Eat Veggies galore, they wont hurt you. Eat about 1 gram of protein for every lb of current body weight a day and see how that floats you for a month. ( There are 7 grams of protein in an ounce of meat so if you are 225 that's 225 g /7 = 32 ounces a day of protein, after that, if you have room for carbs go for it but if I cant you wont.)

For the time being focus on being healthy and giving your body the noms it needs, your weight will come down when you have become nutrified enough.

Dont forget this is a lifestyle, you have to eat, exercise, play, sleep and de-stress in accordance with the rules Mark has laid out, if you just do the paleo diet and forget the rest it wont work.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Realize this is for life. Work on making a pattern of sustainable eating patterns within the framework of foods so that you can stick to it for YEARS. Establish this first, get the junk foods, gluten etc.out of your life good. Learn to live without them. THEN if you still have weight to lose, you can start worrying about 90%of what people post here.

So.... in short, start to enjoy bacon, eggs, steaks, vegetables and fruits. Learn to stop eating "products". You can eat whatever fruits and veggies you want (obviously limit things like potatoes if you are less active). Feel free to eat cauliflower, broccoli and zucchini.

Empty your fridge of anything not on Mark's list. Go to the store and by all the stuff you love off Mark's list of approved foods. If you enjoy a fruit or vegetable, eat it. Don't *&^&*^*&^& worry about someone who thinks some melon will fuck you up. It's better than a half gallon of ice cream or some toxic "ATKINS BAR". Then make the base of your diet meat and veggies prepared with fat. Find things you like and make those. I enjoy every primal meal I eat. Having a big plate of steak and asparagus with garlic aioli never feels deprived.... nor does a giant bowl of eggs scrambled with bacon and spinach.

Anyhow, good luck

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Pebbles1969 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all so much! I never bought into any of the Atkins products (bars, shakes, etc.) which is good. I also no longer have anything "bad" in the house as of a week and a half ago because I know myself. When those cravings hit and I have junk food in the house, it's ON!

I plan to continue my BPC in the mornings and will also try the protein equation all the while eating the veggies of my choice.

I also just bought Mark's book!

Thank you everyone. I am looking forward to my new lifestyle!

L0kI is offline Senior Member
    I'm particularly a fan of the point up thread that once your body has sorted out nourishing itself, weight loss will be a byproduct of the change. I used to be a personal trainer for women and I found that the more single-focused and determined to lose weight (at any cost) clients became, the less likely they were to lose weight. But if we could focus on a goal not so emotionally charged, like I want to be able to walk for an hour and not feel tired, or I want to be able to lift X, then weight came off easier. Not entirely sure why it works that way, but I would try to focus on the quality of what you are eating and not the quantity, or macro-profile, or caloric density. Try to focus your energy on that and not on the number in the scale (it takes a lot of effort to GENUINELY change this mindset), and then... Almost magically, the number on the scale starts to come down... It may not be at a lightning-fast pace, but it will happen. I'm sure you know from your yo-yo experiences that quick weight-loss is often not sustainable.
    So as the others have said, make this about improving your life and how you treat yourself and the rest of the benefits will come along for the ride.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    As for vegetables, steam some non-starchy vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower, throw about a third of them into a blender with a bunch of grass fed butter (get this even if you can't afford grass fed meat right now), and blend it up make a sauce for the rest of the vegetables. You said you have bulletproof coffee in the morning, so you could add some MCT oil to the sauce also.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Realize this is for life. Work on making a pattern of sustainable eating patterns within the framework of foods so that you can stick to it for YEARS. Establish this first, get the junk foods, gluten etc.out of your life good. Learn to live without them. THEN if you still have weight to lose, you can start worrying about 90%of what people post here.
    +1

Work on eating good whole foods and stay away from anything with an ingredient list. THEN, once you are comfortable with that, start tweaking things. Okay, I'm going to go back on that for just a second - I would personally stay away from the heavy cream, but that's just me and I'm sensitive to dairy - when I was using that in my tea I ballooned up fairly good, so no dairy for me, not even Kerrygold Dubliner cheese any more.

The other thing you are going to run into and have to be prepared to handle is "have the tortilla, it's good for you." "what, you don't eat bread? but your body needs carbs." "Oh, come on. Pasta is low fat. It's a health food." Or my personal favorite when I was working at the Christian counseling service was "but God gave us grains in the bible."

These are all things that can and will come up. Having a plan of action ahead of time will come in handy.

Good luck! As a semi-former serial dieter myself, I completely feel your pain and recognized myself in your post. What several people have said is the most importance piece of information - this is NOT a diet. It's a way of life. That phrase is bandied about quite often, but it's more true here than at any other time of your life. It's a complete paradigm shift from what you've always been taught and you'll never want to go back to the "good old days."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast