Thread: core exercises for the weak page

grae_bird is offline Member

core exercises for the weak

Primal Fuel
    Hello,
    I am struggling with a wasting disease, and am literally below starvation weight. My muscle tone is obviously bad... I am trying to maintain core strength. Someone suggested the superman--but I cannot get even both arms off of the floor. Are there core exercises I can do to build up?

vincebae is offline Member
    First of all, I think maintaining your posture correct all the time possible is the most important thing.
    For the good posture, there are many resources, but I usually recommend "Becoming a supple Leopard" or this video by Kelly Starrlett.

Then, the plank is basic but very important. Be sure to use the "law of torque" for the shoulders and hips to engage the core. (Regarding the "law or torque", refer to the Kelly's resources.). RKC seems to use the different words for the same concept - squeeze your butt and pack your shoulders using lat.
    This video seems to be a good guide to the RKC hardstyle plank: Tommy Blom showing the RKC plank - YouTube

After you become better with plank, you can try many other good core exercises.
    What I especially like are turkish get up, arch(superman) / hollow position, bridge progression, etc.
    Last edited by vincebae; 08-02-2013 at 05:08 PM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    deadlift. Start with a closet rod from the home improvement store if you have to and zip tie small weights on it as you progress. Add an ounce or 5 pounds every time.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grae_bird View Post
    Hello,
    I am struggling with a wasting disease, and am literally below starvation weight. My muscle tone is obviously bad... I am trying to maintain core strength. Someone suggested the superman--but I cannot get even both arms off of the floor. Are there core exercises I can do to build up?
    Start from where you are - if you can't get both arms off the floor, work one arm and the opposite leg. When you can hold for 60 seconds, add either the other leg or the other arm. Progress from there.

If you can't get one arm and one leg - do one at a time. Squeeze and hold each as high as you can, then work the other.

Another recommendation: Amazon.com: Original Strength: Regaining The Body You Were Meant To Have eBook: Tim Anderson, Geoff Neupert, Joe Sansalone: Kindle Store You can start like a baby, and build strength the same way a baby does. There's a lot of food for thought in this one, even if many of the exercises seem way too easy for someone in "decent" shape. I'm here to say that crawling is lot harder than babies make it look.

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    You could try looking for exercises recommended for women who've had a cesarean section, or post-operative for any kind of major surgery which pretty much reduces the amount of strain a person can put on their core abdominal muscles at first.

grae_bird is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you... step by step with perseverance.... I appreciate the insight.