Thread: Dad to have coronary bypass- sugg? page

heatherp is offline Senior Member

Dad to have coronary bypass- sugg?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

So last week my Dad had another heart attack and next week he will (hopefully) have a triple or quadruple bypass. He's just started eating in a pseudo-paleo style (no bread, pasta, potatoes, les sugar etc. but still not onto better fats/oils).

Is there anyone out there with experience of recovery from bypass ops and are happy to share? Any sugg for dietary tweaks and supplements really appreciated.

Thanks all
    Heather xx

p.s. Im off to visit him at the hosp soon, so I'm not being rude if I dont reply for a while!

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherp View Post
    Hi all,

So last week my Dad had another heart attack and next week he will (hopefully) have a triple or quadruple bypass. He's just started eating in a pseudo-paleo style (no bread, pasta, potatoes, les sugar etc. but still not onto better fats/oils).

Is there anyone out there with experience of recovery from bypass ops and are happy to share? Any sugg for dietary tweaks and supplements really appreciated.

Thanks all
    Heather xx

p.s. Im off to visit him at the hosp soon, so I'm not being rude if I dont reply for a while!
    I have no experience with heart issues.

As for the oils - I think dropping 'veg' oils is important.

Eating a little bit of potato and white rice might be ok ( if weight loss is not required) - I would avoid other grains especially wheat.

Also eating a bit of good natural fats will help keep someone on this diet. If all fats are avoided then I think it's likely the previous eating habits will return after a while.

JMO.

Good luck.

Harpua is offline Member
    Sorry to hear about your dad, heather.

2 years ago my dad had to have a triple bypass. One of his biggest issues was how weak he was after the surgery. Most of the docs will tell him this but for most men it is very difficult psychologically to not be able to perform the simplest tasks. it took my dad 6 months to be able to walk around the block without taking a break. It pissed him off to no end having my mom open jars for him. The good news is, it gets better. He can't due everything he used to but he gets around really good. Good luck w/ the surgery.
    M/35/5'10"
    SW: 325lbs
    Paleo start: 2/6/2013 @303lbs

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I think that your question is not definitively answerable unless it is known what the cause of coronary artery disease is. In most cases, the result is many years of metabolic syndrome that have led to widespread inflammation and blockage. In other cases, it is more direct physical trauma to the heart, whether through congenital defects, embolism, or other outside force that has damaged the muscle.

If it is #1, I can help. If it is #2, I cannot. I am not a cardiologist

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Vegetable oils = inflammation in the arteries = clogged arteries = heart attack.