Thread: .... snack allergy!? page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

.... snack allergy!?

Shop Now
    Is it possible to become allergic to a snack food?

Before primal I used to consume outrageous amounts of Andy Kapp's Hot Fries, at the very least I used to eat a bag a week, very moderate estimate I was in love with them. Obviously once going primal I stopped eating them or even thinking about them as my whole attitude towards food changed. Last night though I was at a gas station filling up and when I went inside to pay I saw them and though ... hmm.. a quick bag for old time's sake couldn't hurt! I got home and settled in to watch the UFC event streaming on my laptop and proceeded to munch on. Halfway through the bag I realized my sinuses were closing and breathing was becoming slightly difficult. It was humid and my allergies had not flared up that day, I had taken Zyrtec D the night before as per usual. I finished the bag and realized that indeed, I couldn't breath out of my nose! I couldn't make sense of it so I blamed the snack, took a Zyrtec D pill and about an hour later I was back to normal.

Can anybody explain the science behind that, or could I have gotten an allergic reaction to something else? my room is very close to our backyard so I usually blame that but I didn't have any allergies to deal with yesterday or the past few days. It would be interesting if indeed I had an allergic response to them, not like I plan on eating them again anytime soon but just wondering...

PS: I hope everybody's doing well and enjoying MDW. I'm working through it.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    You were probaly allergic all along, but now that you haven't been exposed to it for a while (or the particular ingredient that triggered it), you had a noticable reaction.