Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Cold While Fasting? page

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member

Feeling Cold While Fasting?

Primal Fuel
    Does this happen to anyone else? I didn't have time for breakfast today so I skipped it. I had coffee with cream, but nothing else. Right now, my hands and feet are freezing.

Is this a sign of a thyroid issue? Or is it just a normal reaction to fasting? I've noticed this a lot lately, and my hands and feet always warm up once I eat.

madog is offline Senior Member
    I've fasted today and not noticed being cold. I thought the blood usually diverted to help digestion would get pumped around quicker\easier..

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    I always get cold when I fast, so does dh. I think that's normal.

zsz101 is offline Junior Member
    I think it's perfectly normal. One morning during my fast, a friend of mine commented on how my fingers and toes "were freezing!" I may be wrong, but I have to imagine this is partly due to the fact that a calorie is a measurement of heat, so with a lack of calories comes a lack of warmth. Just my thinking.

I guess it's not just me then! It's weird, but whatever. I usually don't notice until my hands are so cold that I sit on them at work... it's my body's way of telling me to eat, I guess.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Could very well be a thyroid issue. Are you female? I don't believe fasting is healthy for most, if not all women.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    I noticed during long fasts 24+ hours that my body temp would fall a degree below normal. I think it's the bodies normal response, downregulating activity and metabolism to conserve energy.

After a day or two of normal eating, it returned to normal levels.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Could very well be a thyroid issue. Are you female? I don't believe fasting is healthy for most, if not all women.
    Yes, I'm female and I have thought I had a thyroid issue all my life (TSH is between 2 and 3 usually). Every doctor I've seen says that my lab results are "within range" and blows me off though, and I have seen several doctors about it, all CW but, regardless. So, yes, thyroid is what I'm worried about. I don't want to slow my metabolism anymore than it is slowed already!

I don't even know why I'm fasting... it certainly hasn't helped with weight loss and that's really all I care about. I'm thinking maybe I should just go back to eating breakfast.

VailPrimal is offline Junior Member
    Just crawled out of the mountains to the metropolis of Denver!
    I've noticed this for the past few weeks as well when I'm fasting. I was freezing in my office all morning and it actually felt perfect out in the 90 degree heat when I went outside. It has to be a side effect of the fast because I was always the guy that was hot and miserable going to turn up the A/C.... until I started IF. I have to say though, the changes by incorporating IF have been very noticeable (got me over a hump I've been stuck at for almost a year now even following a strict paleo diet) and are well worth the looks your co-workers give you when you are wearing a sweater in August.

Zach is offline Banned
    Being cold and having cold extremities is a sign of a lowered metabolism usually from lack of thyroid and of course calories. Not something to strive for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast