Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Rest Between Days page

  1. #1
    Dynastinae's Avatar
    Dynastinae is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, Fl
    Posts
    32

    Rest Between Days

    Shop Now
    What do you guys and gals do for split routines? I'm looking for research of optimal rest between working a segmented body part. I do compound lifts primarily but wanted to see if there's any science that can be applied to make the gains better.

    Found a good article on t-nation about CNS activation here.
    Last edited by Dynastinae; 08-02-2013 at 07:33 AM.

  2. #2
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    I am in Week 2 of trying out Lyle McDonald's Split Routine we've discussed here (it also has links to the routine and a huge discussion/FAQ on it):

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread90621.html

    I like splits so far, but can't comment on better gains. I do cardio on days off and add some cardio to lifting sessions a couple of times a week to avoid too much fat gain.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  3. #3
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,941
    Post. The. Squat. Video.

  4. #4
    Dynastinae's Avatar
    Dynastinae is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, Fl
    Posts
    32
    What's that now?

  5. #5
    Dynastinae's Avatar
    Dynastinae is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, Fl
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am in Week 2 of trying out Lyle McDonald's Split Routine we've discussed here (it also has links to the routine and a huge discussion/FAQ on it):

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread90621.html

    I like splits so far, but can't comment on better gains. I do cardio on days off and add some cardio to lifting sessions a couple of times a week to avoid too much fat gain.
    How you liking it? What's the general split like?

  6. #6
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynastinae View Post
    What's that now?
    You never posted the 400# squat video from another thread. I'm still anxiously awaiting it.

  7. #7
    Dynastinae's Avatar
    Dynastinae is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, Fl
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You never posted the 400# squat video from another thread. I'm still anxiously awaiting it.
    Keep waiting, sunshine.

  8. #8
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    First two workouts felt easy, as I was trying to adjust weight going from 5x5 to 4x8 th and 3x10-12; it gets progressively harder with every passing session, but recovery is FAR better even with pretty intense cardio. I do exactly what Lyle said, except
    I don't do weighted calf raises (just seated ones), do light jerks instead
    add deltoid raises to each UB session.
    do pull-ups instead of pulldowns in one of the UB session

    The split are posted in the thread and my schedule is (it takes ~ 1 hr lifting):

    Day 1
    Squat: 3-4X6-8/3'
    SLDL: 3-4X6-8/3'
    Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Seated calf r: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Jerk 5x5

    Day 2
    Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'
    BBR Row: 3-4X6-8/3'
    Shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Pullup/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
    Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
    Lateral Deltoid Raise 2x12/1.5'

    Day 3
    Squat: 3-4X6-8/3'
    Leg Curl: 3-4X6-8/3'
    Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Jerk 5x5

    Day 4
    Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'
    DB Row: 3-4X6-8/3'
    DB Inclined Bench: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
    Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
    Rear Deltoid Raise 2x12/1.5'
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  9. #9
    Dynastinae's Avatar
    Dynastinae is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, Fl
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    First two workouts felt easy, as I was trying to adjust weight going from 5x5 to 4x8 th and 3x10-12; it gets progressively harder with every passing session, but recovery is FAR better even with pretty intense cardio. I do exactly what Lyle said, except
    I don't do weighted calf raises (just seated ones), do light jerks instead
    add deltoid raises to each UB session.
    do pull-ups instead of pulldowns in one of the UB session



    The split are posted in the thread and my schedule is (it takes ~ 1 hr lifting):

    Day 1
    Squat: 3-4X6-8/3'
    SLDL: 3-4X6-8/3'
    Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Seated calf r: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Jerk 5x5

    Day 2
    Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'
    BBR Row: 3-4X6-8/3'
    Shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Pullup/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
    Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
    Lateral Deltoid Raise 2x12/1.5'

    Day 3
    Squat: 3-4X6-8/3'
    Leg Curl: 3-4X6-8/3'
    Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Jerk 5x5

    Day 4
    Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'
    DB Row: 3-4X6-8/3'
    DB Inclined Bench: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'
    Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
    Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
    Rear Deltoid Raise 2x12/1.5'
    Nice. I always like when the legs have a separate day. They seem to take forever to recover while lifting. You do like a Mon, Tue, Thurs, Fri split?

  10. #10
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    Yeah, a mix and match, shift days around the week and times of day depending on my schedule. Starting next week, it's gonna be Tue, Th, Fr, Sat, because I have MA's classes on Mon, Wed, Sun. After that I pick 2 days for MA classes and it will be less intense.

    And, yes, recovery is MUCH better, because I get basically 2 days min for particular group to recover. Also, SQTs are only 2x a week. I did miss the heavy DLs though so this week I will add 1 set to Day 3 and see if I need to back off & it's too much.

    In any rate, the body seem to react differently to the routine that to the full body w/os so it is imo worth trying and measuring the results. Lyle says one can't expect significant gains till week 3-6.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •