Thread: Dumb user with a Smart Phone page

gopintos is offline Senior Member

Dumb user with a Smart Phone

Shop Now
    I just got a new smartphone, iphone. I had a smartphone before, but I was too dumb to really use it much except for the occasional text.

However I am digging this new phone. My question is, is there a good app for fitness? Every time I wear a pedometer, I lose it - the cheap freebies anyways.

And I don't have a holder for my phone but could get one I guess, but I usually have a pocket. I am just not sure how all that works.

I was just wondering if there is anything worth getting, worth the time of using. Mostly I am just curious, and also our state has this 100 mile walk thing going, and my sister would like for the family to participate.

Thanks for any input
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

DennyB is online now Senior Member
    I like runkeeper out of all the fitness apps

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I found some free pedometer apps but the problem with them was that they required keeping my device turned on and so the battery would run out too quickly, especially if it wasn't fully charged. Most of them required a GPS and since my device is an ipod touch, there was no GPS, but I actually found one that worked like a real pedometer, counting the swinging motion. But it required being in a pocket on a particular part of your body, which isn't always possible depending on what you wear that day.

I think the best pedometer out there is the Brunton analog one, not a smart phone app. Reason why is it is easy to calibrate to exactly your stride length and it shows you how many miles you walked, not steps. The only thing wrong with it is if you walk more than 12 miles you will have to mentally keep track.
    Amazon.com: Brunton Analog Pedometer: Explore similar items

EDIT: I built an entire website empire off this pedometer.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Smart phones ARE for dumb people.
    Few but ripe.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    Smart phones ARE for dumb people.
    whew, that's good

Thanks for the feedback.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    I like Endomondo if you have unlimited data. It's not a pedometer, but it will use GPS to track how far you're walking/running, whatever, how fast, and the online interaction is pretty cool.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

mike is offline Senior Member
    Check our FitBit - its a gadget that you wear on your wrist like a bracelet. You can download the data to your iPhone.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Not a pedometer, but probably the best "fitness" apps I've come across are the "you are your own gym" aka yayog app, and if you like crossfit style workouts "workout hero", which also includes a random workout generator that you can tell to just show particular types of workouts eg. Bodyweight only, weights, etc. And comes with built in timers which are very useful for things like tabata workouts.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/