Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some accountability page

Kwaggz is offline Senior Member

Need some accountability

Shop Now
    Been lurking around for awhile, and flung myself into the Primal way of eating last Tuesday. I had a much longer, ramblier intro, but figured I'd try to keep it short instead.

I'm 5'10", roughly 135 (no scale in the house), with no muscle tone, living in Louisiana, from Connecticut. I'm not athletic. I hate running. I found that I love yoga, but more for the mind-body connection and flexibility than anything else. I eat mostly organic produce, and have just become serious about eating nitrate/nitrite-free meats and grass-fed/pastured animals. I am excited that I get to cook things in Kerrygold and bacon fat. Louisiana bans raw dairy, but I'm okay just keeping my dairy consumption to cheese, I love goats cheese and aged cheddar, so that works). I didn't have the "carb-flu" because my diet didn't include that many grains to begin with, so I'm lucky in that regard.

I've BEEN really good about the lack of sugar... I make my salad dressing, I haven't been using any condiments lately on dinners, I've been eating good enough dinners that I don't NEED something sweet right afterwards, and my one square of 72% dark choc. after lunch at work has been doing me really well.

I don't know my bloodwork levels, I'm not that concerned, they were all pretty average last time I went to the dr., I don't have any pressing medical issues, I'm on birth control with no plans for children, I'm really doing this because everything that Mark Sisson writes makes sense to me. I haven't read his book but I've scoured this website and some of the research and it really meshes well with what I've been thinking all along.

Looks like it's turned into a lengthy intro anyway!

Today was the first day since Tuesday that I really screwed up, we had a sales meeting at work, and although I only ate the meat (from a local bbq place: sliced brisket, chargrilled chicken, sausage), I also ate a cookie that was available as well, even though I knew I shouldn't... and then I went and ate 2 chocolate covered donuts left over from the morning as well. I won't backtrack anymore, I know I shouldn't and I'm currently in the midst of a sugar buzz (not a good one: exhausted, head rush when I stand up). I am most definitely addicted to sugar, and I need to get it out of my system.

My question is: If I'm not going to have any more slip-ups, and I need to get rid of the afternoon chocolate square, what are some good substitutions? Is a couple pieces of dried fruit the best option? Or fresh fruit? I've been eating a good amt of fresh ground almond butter, but I should probably cut back on that. It does sometimes give me the slight sweet taste I'm after.

I'm just looking for a little accountability and some support. My husband thinks I'm just a crunchy granola hippy from CT and isn't on the same track as me, it's hard to convince him of anything. He's doing well with less grains/rice though, for a born and raised Louisianan, and we're getting 1/4 grassfinished beef from a local supplier soon! One step at a time I guess.

Thanks for reading!

randomcapitals is offline Senior Member
    Hey Kwaggz, I'm new here too so don't really have any advice on what to substitute for chocolate but fresh fruit sounds okay-sure it contains sugar but it also has fibre and water-dried fruit not so much.
    All I really wanted to say was don't beat yourself up about the lapse. Everyone falls down when they're learning to walk. So you had a cookie and a couple of donuts. Now you feel like crap. Next time you're tempted remember how rotten you felt this time and you'll be less likely to do it.
    Nobody said the changeover would be easy but a lot of people say that their tastes eventually change and they don't crave the sweet stuff after a while. Personally I can't wait until I reach that point.

Pineneedles is offline Senior Member
    Probably trial and error but for me fresh fruit is harmless whereas dried fruit is a slippery slope and harder to exercise portion control with. Also you could gradually move towards darker and darker chocolate. I know 85% is far less triggery for me than 70%.

Like you, though, I'm a cheese lover and will also happily substitute a bit of cheese for something sweet after a meal.

Your tastebuds definitely do change. I had fresh raspberries today and they tasted amazing, sweet, tart and full flavoured but they are still relatively low sugar.

Good luck with it! Sounds like you're doing great overall and the thing with slip ups is to acknowledge it and move on.

After work yesterday I went to yoga, and it was a really excellent class. I had a spinach/blueberry/ground flax/almond milk smoothie (2 cups) when I got home after my shower, and went to bed. I am currently DOMS-ing like nobodies business, but that makes me feel like I worked hard yesterday, and I like that feeling.

Funny story, I got married 2 months ago, and my dad is an adjunct prof at UCONN... he and my mom are good friends with Jeff Volek and his wife, who both work at UCONN, so they were invited to the wedding. I hadn't seen them in awhile and it was great to catch up. Right after the wedding is when I started becoming interested in the Primal Lifestyle, and people keep quoting Volek's research, and I had no idea he was such a big deal in the low-carb world! Now I really wish I had known more about the Blueprint so I could have grilled him at my wedding!!! Since I live in LA and they're in CT, seeing them is probably not in the cards for a good long time.

I do know that my tastebuds will change, and I know they have already as I slowly have cut processed foods out of my diet. I've never been one for fast food, luckily my husband hates it as well, so if we needed something other than home cooking, it was either going to a local pizza place or going to a nice place for dinner. Now pizza will be even fewer and far between, which is okay for me. I'm almost excited to go to dinner and show my willpower for the bread baskets! More meat for me. I might just have to have a ton of fresh fruit around so I can detox from the sugar.

Got a pastured chicken in the fridge to go in the dutch oven once I get home, veggies on the side for dinner, yumyumyum. I'm really excited that there are some farms around my area that are doing grass-fed/pastured pork/beef/broilers/goats. I think that's a huge part of the Primal Blueprint that some people miss out on, or can't afford. I wish it was the other way around: Cheetos were $5/oz and broccoli was $.20/lb...... a girl can dream.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Hi from CT!!! Must be a culture shock moving to Louisiana!

I've been Primal for a year now. Your tastebuds will change. CT is home to some of the best Pizza in the USA and I used to work with members of the Pepe family making pizza! I loved pizza.

But I haven't had it very often this past calendar year and until last week hadn't had any at all in 2013! Last week my son really wanted pizza so we went out to Modern Apizza in New Haven and I had a big salad and he had a small pie, he left a couple of pieces and I finished them.

I didn't really enjoy it. I've sort of lost my taste for it. I have mixed feelings about it, but it does happen. Well at least it happened to me.

Best of luck to you!!

DC
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Culture shock, indeed! I've lived here for 4 years already and I'm still not used to it. The people are different, the weather is different, the food is different (Hellooooo deep fried everything). It's hard to be so far from any cool big city. New Orleans is an hour from me, and Houston is 4.... but Austin, Atlanta, Dallas... all 8 hours away. Nothing like the 2 hour train ride to NYC or 2 hour drive to Boston I want to say that I don't miss the snow, but shoveling the driveway was a fantastic workout and now that I'm attempting Primal, it would have been fun to PLAY in as well!

Husband and I cooked our pastured chicken last night in the dutch oven, I made mashed broccoli&potatoes, and it was delicious. We devoured the chicken... I had a couple spoonfuls of almond butter and a couple slices of leftover sausage from our sales meeting lunch at work, so I really didn't eat a full meal from 7:30am until 7:30pm. I wasn't starving, I didn't have "the shakes", and it was a good feeling. I DID have a sprinkle of sugar in my afternoon coffee, but it was truly negligible. After dinner I walked the dog for 45 minutes and did some yoga stretches.

Today is a birthday party for my brother&sister-in-law's daughter. She's turning one, and my sister-in-laws parents and sibs are coming in from all over, I've never met them. She asked me to make this fresh black bean&corn relish/salsa that I've made in the past, so I made that, but now I certainly won't be having any. I'm going to try to keep my hunger level down so I don't go nuts at the party!

Made it through the birthday party with no slips... ate fruit while everyone ate cake, drank water, ate cucumber slices and cashews on the way back home, and we went to dinner at J Alexander's because neither of us had any idea what to eat for dinner, and Sunday was the shopping day. I got a filet mignon kabob (w veggies & rice) and started with a Caesar salad. Glass of Cab. Only had a couple bites of rice.

Sunday: I could live in Whole Foods. There aren't any co-ops around here, and the farmer's markets are 20 mins away and only on Saturday, so Whole Foods and I have a special bond. Eating more healthfully (than I was previously) is about $40 more expensive each week. I'm spending about $100+ a week for my husband and I, and I eat the majority of the veggies I purchase. I would love to grow some veggies but our backyard is FULL sun all day with no where for shade. My dog knocked over the herbs I had growing inside, so we're at an impasse until I figure something out.

Monday was pretty good, maybe a little too carby:

B: those almond butter banana cookies from Civilized Caveman, an apple w/almond butter.

L: leftover chicken from the one we roasted, leftover roasted sweet potato wedges (in coconut oil), leftover mashed potatoes&broccoli.

went to an Ashtanga Yoga class... sweated like it was my job.

D: hubs made a turkey Bolognese. He had his over pasta, I sautéed some Brussels sprouts, green beans, zucchini, and broccoli stems in Kerry gold and ate the sauce over the veggies. It was divine and I've got some for lunch today. I love not *needing* something sweet after I have a highfat meal like that. I love feeling sated but not heavy.

Today I might go buy a Frisbee and see if hubs wants to throw it in the backyard for a bit. Dog needs walking, floor needs sweeping.

For dinner I'm not sure what to do yet. Broccoli needs to be used up, same with red peppers, and spinach. Maybe a stirfry. I got some Applegate Farms chicken sausage we could throw in, but the soy sauce has gluten in it and I haven't yet had a chance to pick up something different.

Still waiting to hear on our grass-fed beef delivery... I've heard that grass-fed is much more lean than conventional beef... is there any advice people can give on cooking specific cuts? Is low&slow the best way for it all?

Bought some Chocolov 7%3 dark chocolate off the recommendations of Mr. Sisson... and I'm happy to report that I think I need something darker. I've been afraid to try 85% but I might just have to make the leap!

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    All of the grass fed beef that I've bought has been very tasty but a bit on the tough side, except for the rib-eyes and filets, which were wonderful. I didn't buy a lot of roasts, but had things cut to smaller portions. I don't actually mind tough meat as long as the flavor is good, which it is. The supplier I use now dry ages for 14 days, which is good.

However, I have really pot roasted much of the beef and it's been great that way.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast