Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you lower triglycerides? page

burnham is offline Junior Member

How do you lower triglycerides?

Primal Fuel
    I've been Primal for 1 month and feel great. I haven't been in to get blood work done since last September where my numbers were:

CHOLESTEROL-132

HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN CHOL-45

Non HDL Cholesterol-87

TRIGLYCERIDES-221

LOW DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN CHOL-43

I don't plan on getting rechecked until I'm under 200lbs. I have heard that triglycerides will rise being Primal/Paleo but my HDL's will go up too which is what I want. I am wondering if I should worry about my triglycerides or if they will drop as my HDL go up and LDL's go down? I am still trying to learn how to interpert blood analysis.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    eat more fish;particularly fatty fish like mackerel, trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna and salmon
    cut out or greatly reduce your intake of alcohol
    increase exercise
    avoid processed foods,particulary those containing trans fatty acids (partially hydrogenated vegetable oil)
    avoid eating a lot of high fructose foods
    avoid a high carb intake
    don't smoke
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

I've done everything but the alcohol. I guess I'll have to ween myself from my evening martini

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I got mine down to 100 so its worth it but your other figures are great and your LDL is awesome
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    I don't plan on getting rechecked until I'm under 200lbs. I have heard that triglycerides will rise being Primal/Paleo but my HDL's will go up too which is what I want. I am wondering if I should worry about my triglycerides or if they will drop as my HDL go up and LDL's go down? I am still trying to learn how to interpert blood analysis.
    It's not your Trigs that will go up, it's HDL and LDL. Trigs typically go DOWN for primal people.

CarbDodger's advice is all good.

p.s. The bit that freaks people out about Cholesterol is that usually their HDL, LDL and Total Cholesterol goes up. However, what matters is the ratios of TotC/HDL, Trig/HDL and LDL/HDL. So because your HDL is going up, even though your LDL will also be up, the LDL/HDL ratio will decrease and actually improve. You should know this before your doctor freaks out at you and tries to prescribe a statin for elevated LDL.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

inesenite is online now Senior Member
    Trigs are directly correlated with carbs in your diet. I would try to go as low carb as possible/feasible, especially avoiding fructose which puts extra pressure on liver.
    My trig number used to be ~ 300, but on reasonably low carb (under 100 g carbs/day) on primal diet it has never been over 70...

Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    A very low carb diet will lower your triglyserides in days not months. Also note that 1/5 of your triglyseride number is included in your total cholesterol.
    Please quit worrying about cholesterol, it isn't worth even testing for, it is that irrelevant.

Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    That ldl is NOT great. Chinese study (not big pharma ) showed ldl greater than or less than 125 was associated with greater risk of cancer. Your level would have been more than a 50% greater risk.
    Independent associations between low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and cancer among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rx View Post
    That ldl is NOT great. Chinese study (not big pharma ) showed ldl greater than or less than 125 was associated with greater risk of cancer. Your level would have been more than a 50% greater risk.
    Independent associations between low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and cancer among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus
    Haven't read the study, but maybe you can answer.... do they take into account that type II diabetics are already at an increased risk for cancer? Does it differentiate for people that have LDL over 125, but are not type II diabetic?

Well just looking at it, appears as if it does not.... so if OP is not diabetic this may not mean too much for him.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-02-2013 at 11:12 AM.

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks for the information. I am a little confused about the LDL being greater than or less than 125 and the risk associated with cancer...I don't have type 2 diabetes and the study doesn't mention other facotors in the test groups other than the use of statins or whay types of cancers respond to low or high LDL's. Do the statins affect the cancer rates or is it the LDL levels? I'm not experienced in cholesterol or HDL/LDL's or Triglycerides, so if you want to explain more I would appriciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast