Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you lower triglycerides?

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    Thanks for the information. I am a little confused about the LDL being greater than or less than 125 and the risk associated with cancer...I don't have type 2 diabetes and the study doesn't mention other facotors in the test groups other than the use of statins or whay types of cancers respond to low or high LDL's. Do the statins affect the cancer rates or is it the LDL levels? I'm not experienced in cholesterol or HDL/LDL's or Triglycerides, so if you want to explain more I would appriciate it.
    Since I was reading it I'll say that if you are not type II diabetic this study really doesn't have much to offer you.

If you where diabetic though then this slide may be important to you http://www.cmaj.ca/content/179/5/427/F2.large.jpg

"Hazard ratios for low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels associated with cancer at any site among patients who did not use statins (A) and among all patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (B). The LDL cholesterol level associated with the lowest cancer risk (3.28 mmol/L) was used as the reference value. All curves were adjusted for smoking status, use of fibrates and spline functions of age, duration of diabetes, waist circumference, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol level and triglyceride levels (i.e., variables with a p value < 0.10). Figure 2A, showing hazard ratios and 95% confidence intervals, was derived from data for patients who did not use statins. Figure 2B shows two hazard ratio curves: one for people not using statins (as in Figure 2A, with data points indicated by stars), and one for the whole cohort, with further adjustment for use of statins from enrolment to date of cancer, death or censoring (data points indicated by circles). "
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-02-2013 at 11:33 AM.

My trigs went down by about 50% after going primal. It went from around 100 to around 50. I don't think a month is long enough though. Just be patient. You may not need to cut out the martini (as long as it's not loaded with sugar ).

IMO your only concern is eating proper food and exercising a bit, feeling better and getting healthier.

Worrying what trigs or other lipids will do is a waste of time.

Lipid numbers can be skewed if you're still losing weight when tested - so first stabilize weight (lose the weight you want) then a few months after that get it tested if you want.

If you feel good and you're healthy, then your numbers will be at the numbers that are required to maintain your happy, healthy state.

An alternative could be you could live an unhappy, unhealthy life trying to 'chase' better looking lipid numbers.

"Dont worry, be happy"

Yes this study was with type 2 diabetic patients and we believe cancer grows with glucose not with ketone bodies. This might be relevant as to actually getting statistical difference but the fact that there is a point that is ideal, makes a great argument against "the lower the better". The only "great" thing about a level that low is that nobody will try to put you on statins. When you are on the right diet you can forget about such nonsense. If you need proof you are on the right diet, check your scale, or your fasting insulin levels. It is much more important to worry (or not) about your stress level than to stress over your lipid levels.

There are already a lot of good things said. Mainly follow the rules from this post http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1268118

But also enough sleep is necessary to handle your triglycerides, like here is written down.

Ways To Lower Triglycerides | Lowering Triglycerides

Cholesterol is overrated as a risk factor. I've had a somewhat elevated LDL and total for years, have a coronary calcium score of ZERO and a carotid arterial age of 16 (I'm 60.)

If you want to lower trigs, and elevate HDL, a low carb moderate protein high fat diet is almost certain to do it. Of course avoid the seed oils etc and don't fear saturated fat. When my HDL went from 45 to 77 in six months my cardiologist friend was stunned; he'd never seen such a thing. But it's well known in the low carb community.

We really don't have studies to ascertain the risk of LDL in paleo people like us who have very low insulin, high HDL, low trigs but perhaps some elevation of LDL. It's a big unknown, but I'm betting that eating real food, avoiding carbage, etc is my best wager.

Doc Jim
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    I've been Primal for 1 month and feel great. I haven't been in to get blood work done since last September where my numbers were:
    Well your TG/HDL ratio sucked back then, but that is almost certainly going to be better now that you are on a paleo diet.

But you won't know until you go get rechecked. I'd say get rechecked at the 3 month mark. That is plenty of time for blood numbers to move assuming you stick to the diet.