Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Runner page

Napoleon79 is offline Junior Member

Beginning Runner

Primal Fuel
    Hello. I'm new here. I've been eating pretty primal for a month now. I've also been trying for MONTHS to get my mile below 8 minutes. My ultimate goal is 6 minutes !!! I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong. I've tried interval running, run a lap, jog a lap, I've done long 5 mile runs a day, I've tried different suggestions I've found on the net. I'm just unable to get my mile below 8 minutes.

My question is...if I just run a mile everyday, will it eventually go down?

Details: I'm 5'5, 140 lb, 30 yo., and I run in vibrams.

Nasno is offline Senior Member
    What distance do you want to break 8 at?

I started running this winter by doing intervals on a treadmill. Nothing to tricky, just moving. When I hit the streets in April, everything changed. I began with a 2 mile run, bumped to 2.5, 2.8, 3.0, 3.5 and eventually 4.5.

I found I was able to build speed easily when the 3.5 loop got comfortable. I do the 3.5 mile route 2-3 times a week, and 8 min miles are the norm. I save the 4.5 for weekend days, and I'm lucky to pull an 8:30 from that route.

I'd look online for some 5k training routines. Most of them include some 400 or 800 m sprint sessions that will help you get your speed up.

citric is offline Junior Member
    Hill repeats! Learn to love them.

Like Nasno, I have to ask what distance? If you are currently at 8, 6 minute miles is a lofty goal. Very doable for a single mile, but quite substantial if you are looking at a 5k. You would be a serious age group contender at an 18 minute 5k.

One important thing is to not focus too much on a single time. Look at it more holistically. Are you getting stronger? Are you getting faster? You might never reach 6 minutes, but how do you feel? Having a goal is important, but becoming frustrated by that goal can kill your running career.

I am gonna try and do a 1.5 mile run in less than 11 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by citric View Post
    Hill repeats! Learn to love them.

Like Nasno, I have to ask what distance? If you are currently at 8, 6 minute miles is a lofty goal. Very doable for a single mile, but quite substantial if you are looking at a 5k. You would be a serious age group contender at an 18 minute 5k.

One important thing is to not focus too much on a single time. Look at it more holistically. Are you getting stronger? Are you getting faster? You might never reach 6 minutes, but how do you feel? Having a goal is important, but becoming frustrated by that goal can kill your running career.

a lot of it is in your head. I know this because in army rotc on our pt test we have a 2 mile run. I just run my brains out and finish a little under 13 min. however, I'm also on the side of the track at the end spewing my breakfast. the army tends to live by "if your not throwing up you didn't try hard enough" hahaha. also, although I hate them, try a treadmil. here you can set a constant pace and an exact mileage and time, then work your way up. what kills most people is consistancy. they start strong for first mile, then their second mile is 2 min slower.

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
    With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
    Let me forget about today until tomorrow

MY PRIMAL JOURNAL
    MY PUBLIC FITDAY JOURNAL

robmedina is offline Member

breathing

Work on your breathing as well. you may already have this down, but figured I would throw it out there. Take a deep breath in for every three steps, exhale for every three steps as well- so in every 6 steps you should have taken 1 breath.

citric is offline Junior Member
    Going along with rob's comment, your core strength is very important on the breathing. If your core is not strong, you will begin to slouch over as you running. This will decrease your lung capacity and affect your performance.

What do you guys mean, when you say "Core Strength" ?

they are refering to, but simply, the strength of the are where your abs are, but there is a lot more muscle wrapping around your whole torso down there. basically the strengh from right below your pectorals, down to where your legs start, including your back too. also, on the breathing, i prefer one deep fast breath in every three steps then slowly release the CO2 over the next three steps, so you get a breath in every three steps

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
    With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
    Let me forget about today until tomorrow

MY PRIMAL JOURNAL
    MY PUBLIC FITDAY JOURNAL

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I used to run back to back 6 minute miles. I trained with a CA state runner-up cross country athlete. He taught me the pace by driving his car 10 mph and I ran alongside. We also did 400Ms and 800Ms to learn to maintain a faster pace. He was also a huge fan of the 'telephone pole to telephone pole" fartlek (sprint in the middle of a longer run). He also trained on the stadium stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast