Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accidental Pancake's Journal (or What In The Hell Was I Thinking?) page

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member

Accidental Pancake's Journal (or What In The Hell Was I Thinking?)

Primal Fuel
    Seriously. I like the secondary title for a couple of reasons:

1. I don't usually 'do' journals
    2. The tagline pretty much sums up my overall health to this point

Background:

I grew up poor. I'm 31, to give you some context, so I never lived in a dirt-floor hut or anything. But still, poor. Free-breakfast and lunch poor. Other parents volunteering to pay my fees for little league or I didn't get to play poor. Went to 9 elementary schools because my parents moved every 6 months due to being evicted poor. No car poor.

Got the gist? Good.

It's important because my childhood really set the stage for my nutrition and fitness habits. As is still common today, my poor family flocked to convenience and (perceived) value for the dollar, which all went along with periods where there just wasn't money to eat at all outside of school. And we all know how nutritious school lunches are... Suffice it to say, for the first 18 years of my life, normal diet consisted of fast food, hamburger helper, among other packaged/processed foods.

When I graduated from high school, I was 5'10" and weighed about 160lbs. Skinny fat. Not emaciated, but not particularly healthy either.

Fast forward 2.5 years. I moved out of my parent's house, got a good job, and ate. And ate. And ate. Luckily my metabolism was still churning and burning and I was still pretty active (basketball, cycling, etc.). At 21, I was now 6'3" and 205lbs. Not bad. A bit of muscle tone, but still skinny fat overall. I ate much healthier, but still only as considered by CW. I knew to keep "carbs" down, which helped, but still way too much processed food.

Fast forward another 2 years. I left my job to get my BA, met my wife, and my activity levels dropped considerably. My eating habits did not follow suit. I started to put on weight slowly, as tends to happen, and by 2010 I was up in the 270s. I have no idea how that much weight appeared without me doing something about it, but it did. Here's what that looked like:

rc_fat.jpg

What Changed?

This was the closest to a literal slap in the face as I could have had. My wife and I found out we were pregnant in February 2012. Still 270, and not happy about it, I decided that I HAD to fix it. I was NOT going to be a dad that couldn't play with his kids at 40 years old, and certainly wasn't going to miss out on grandchildren and such.

I had already found some paleo/primal resources and sites, including MDA, and hit it hard. I almost completely cleaned up my diet, at least to 90% primal compliant, and started jumping rope every day. From March 2012 to October 2012, I had lost around 55lbs. Here's early November 2012, with my two-week-old daughter:

rc_notasfat.jpg

Pretty good transformation, and I'm still sitting around that same spot right now. Just about 220lbs, still not nearly lean enough. I've got a solid frame, broad shoulders, long arms, so I can support a good bit of weight but I need to be leaner.

So What's The Point?

I figure this journal will be a good spot to post progress and keep myself accountable as I continue my journey. I've got another baby on the way, and I really want to focus on body composition now. I'm guessing I'll lose another 20-30lbs of fat and put back on 10lbs of muscle if all goes well over the next couple of years.

I'm going to post diet info and workouts, whether good or bad, as well as progress pictures so you can all pester me if I don't improve.

If you're of the TL;DR crowd, I don't summarize. You're in or you're out. For everyone else, thanks for reading my abbreviated story!
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (May 2014): 198
    CBF: 14.5% (Scale)
    GW: ~190-205
    GBF: ~12%

burnham is offline Junior Member
    Good Luck! I look forward to watching your success!

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    Good Luck! I look forward to watching your success!
    Thanks! I'm actually excited to have someone other than myself cheering me on and keeping me accountable. I still haven't convinced most of the family that this is the healthiest way to live. They prefer CW and surgery... smh.

My Journal

8/1/2013

Morning weight: 227.6

Breakfast: Egg/zucchini/sausage casserole, coffee
    Pre-workout fuel: Coffee w/ 2 eggs (thanks Mark!)
    Workout (midday): goblet squats, pushups, bent-over rows, back extensions
    Lunch: Lamb chops w/mushrooms, kale/tomato salad
    Dinner: Egg/zucchini/sausage casserole
    Snack: Berries w/heavy cream, dark chocolate

I'm guessing that my workout, being the first I've done strength-wise in a while, is probably what made me so hungry when I got home and had dinner. I was really craving some sweets, and I think I made some pretty good choices. Felt satisfied after, and it was delicious!
    Last edited by accidentalpancake; 08-02-2013 at 05:19 AM.

My Journal

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Hi and Welcome!

You and I have much in common! Except you're way ahead of where I was at your age, I waited until 50 (with a five year old son) to get my sh!t in one sock and lose the weight.

Good luck and I look forward to cheering you on as you progress!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

MightyMike is offline Member
    Good job, I like seeing success stories like this from guys my size, it gives me hope.

mojowrkn is offline Junior Member
    Great inspiration thanks!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    *unlurks to tag this journal to follow along...*

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
    Good job, I like seeing success stories like this from guys my size, it gives me hope.
    That's part of the reason I wanted to start this. There's a serious lack of us with stories out there!

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    *unlurks to tag this journal to follow along...*

Awesome!

(Although I don't know if someone with almost 800 posts in one year can be considered a lurker!)

My Journal

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast