Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardgainer is trying to gain - Adrian's Journal page

Adrian is offline Senior Member

Hardgainer is trying to gain - Adrian's Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks to MDA and primal lifestyle I've reached my goals. Now my weight is healthy, I've got a lot of energy and my relations with friends got much better.

THANK YOU

thread won't be updated

Hello dear reader,
    first of all my name is Adrian, I'm from Poland and I'm (only) sixteen years old.

I've decided to start this journal to show you my long, sometimes sad and difficult road to healthy body and mind. I hope it won't be boring and you will enjoy reading it.

A little description of my character:
    -I can spend hours reading books
    -My favourite sport is skiing
    -I'm very shy and introvertic
    -I like spending time alone

To start with, I've been always fat kid, mainly thanks to my family habits, like eating really huge amount of grains, sugars etc. I felt really bad with it. Now I've been trying to eat paleo since beggining of 2013. But I do have problems with eating disorders, They started in September 2012. I started calorie counting and it was the biggest mistake. I cut them down to 1400 a day, while my height is 1,8 m (5,91 ft). My weight in December was very low – 55kg (121 Ibs). I felt horrible, my body couldn't produce enough heat, my hands and feet used to freeze and blood didn't circulate in them. Yes, I suffered from anorexia.. and was only fifteen years old. I don't want to know how my body is destroyed. I feel that something is messed up with hormones, like testosteron. I hope that paleothic diet will help me to recover. It started from reading about hunger etc, I found some blog with description of sugar influence on insulin levels. It interested me a lot and I soon found myself into primal and paleothic diet descriptions, succes stories etc. But one things was horrible for me.. fat. I was so afraid of it, measuring every table spoon of olive oil and checking weight of bacon I was going to eat. And I still do have some problems I can't overcome. First of all is calorie counting. I can't see food normally. For me eveything is amount of calories. My biggest dream is to stop this. But I don't know how and I really count for someone's support here, as I'm really afraid of doctors etc. My body weight and composition is getting better, but still too slow. I'm 62,5 kg (138 Ibs) now, so it's really low. I try to exercise as often as I can, but I don't have enough energy often.. Because I can't break barrier of 1800 kcal a day.. I know it might sound funny, but I just can't.. I really would like to be like other normal people and gain some muscles, but my body doesn't have sources to build them.
    So..
    What I want to achieve?

1) Gain muscles
    2) Stop counting calories
    3) Have more energy
    4) Cut down on coffeine amount
    5) Find some interesting people around here
    6) Get more and more knowledge about our bodies and find interesting recipes
    7) Start to be more outgoing and open for my friends

I'm going to try to keep this journal updated daily, with things I ate, my exercises, my mood and sometimes descriptions of other things I've done.

I'm also very sorry for my low English level and many language mistakes, but I'm still learning.
    Last edited by Adrian; 04-24-2014 at 08:46 AM.

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Hi Adrian,

I am glad you found primal and are gaining weight after your anorexia. Search the forum and main site, there are a couple of others who had anorexia and benefited from primal life.
    One was featured as a Friday success story.

If you tolerate dairy try eating plenty of it, full fat yogurt, real cheeses, cream, milk. Also eggs. They will give you the protein to build muscle. At your age also get wenoucgh save carbs through potatoes, fruit and maybe white rice, though rice doesn't have alot of nutrients.
    And of course don't forget the meat and fish.

Don't overdo the exercise, try some bodyweight training 20 to 30minutes (check the free primal fitness ebook), 3 times a week and sprinting once a week at most. It is easy to exercise to much with a history of anorexia, and this should be plenty to gain strength and some muscles.

Good luck, I hope you'll fully recover, you are young enough to enjoy a long healthy life starting now.

1st August 2013 – Day one

I woke up really early today. I have summer holidays now, so didn't have to do anything special.
    My breakfast was really simple:
    3 hard boiled eggs
    avocado, onion, tomatoes, 3 slices of bacon and some salads
    As I graduated to one of best high schools in my city, my parents bought me a new bicycle as a present – an oldschool Peugeot I was always dreaming of! It was made in 1981, so I had to bring it to mechacnic to tune it up. Later I was boring so I made 45 kettlebel workout and I was dying afterwards... My body handles weight workouts very bad.. Later I had some 90% dark chocolate.
    My dinner wasn't very huge: rib eye steak and some mashed veggies. I also have eaten some apricots. Supper was small too, tuna salad with some nuts..
    I think it was whole around 1800-1900 kcals.. Still too afraid to eat more.

Thank you paleodutch for your quick reply. I tolerate lactose well, but I don't have any trusted milk brand here, so I eat hard cheeses. I also adore fish and meat too Especially sardines! Eggs are in my menu often too... I really like cycling, can I count it as good exercise?

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Your English is actually quite good, so be proud that you can use a foreign language so fluently.

Bicycling is great exercise. It looks like your diet is quite balanced also. Maybe try adding one more egg at breakfast and some more cheese mid day. If you have a hard workout, add a protein and starch or fruit snack after to help you recover.

2nd August 2013 Day two
    I had no idea for breakfast so I ate some berries.. Later I did my 40 minutes dumbell body routine, took a shower and a little ride on my bicycle, to buy some coffee beans I came back and was hungry and I had smoked sardines and two cucumbers.. Dinner was bigger, mix of salads and pan fried fish.. In the evening I was shopping with my dad and we bought A LOT OF veggies, really, because prices at our local farmers for season ones are low. So my supper isn't hard to answer for you. I feel like I ate too much carbs and proteins today (fish I ate for dinner didn't have any fat...) and too less fat.. And I'm still counting those stupid calories..
    Tommorow me and my parents are going to the countryside. It might be a funny day!
    Thank you for your responses, I really appericate them!
    Last edited by Adrian; 08-02-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    Hardgainer trying to gain - my primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread91644.html

Don't worry about the amount of carbs, protein and fat. If you eat real food, like it sounds you are, are eating protein with each meal and are not hungry you are doing great.

3rd August 2013 – Day three
    I woke up earlier than usually, because place we were driving to is far away. Day was very hot, I started it with one avocado, mozarella, tomatoes and bazil. We arrived at ten o'clock, then walked around forest (I found some mushrooms and wild berries!) and later we lighted a fire. I ate two sweet potatoes and small piece of sausage (I was full after potatoes).. I think I ate too much carbs again.. But I had a lot of energy for a while When I came back home I ate another sausage with avocado, tomatoes, onions, chillis and cucumbers. After a while I was gardening behind my house and I ate a lot of berries. In the evening I did 40 minutes dumbell workout ( I was feeling a little guilty about food today). I've eaten around 1800-1900 calories, I don't really know if it's enough.

I have small problem while exercising, mailny squating: my joints are cracking loudly. Can I do anything about it?

Thank you for your replies paleodutch, I was only worried that I'm eating too less proteins and fat, and too much carbs...
    Hardgainer trying to gain - my primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread91644.html

Advocado is lots of good fat.
    If you want to add some more fat add some olive oil to your vegetables, eat olives and full fat dairy, put some coconut oil or butter in your coffee. Eat plenty of dark green leaves vegetables for your calcium.

Add some eggs to your diet, lots of nutrients in them, remember a egg contains all that is needed to assemble a small bird. Bones, muscles, everything : )

As a young man you should be able to eat at least 2500 calories and stay a healthy weight.

I was a bit confused about your recent post about eating to much protein, I think you could add some more. Have you read primal blueprint yet? There is an advice there about how much protein to eat.
    Last edited by paleodutch; 08-04-2013 at 01:54 AM.

4th August 2013 – Day four
    Hi there, my breakfast consisted of spinach, bacon, garlic and melted aged goat cheese (50% fat, it was soooo gooood), followed by very simple, but packed with vitamins salad, made of 2 small tomatoes, onion, cucumber and two chillis. I forgot to say about my coffeine problems. Each day starts with two cups of coffee and one cup of tea. Later I drink one coffee with my lunch, and about 3-4 more tea cups through entire day,. And I can't help it... Also my parents drink a lot of diet soda, like coca-cola zero or something, which is packed with chemical stuff and of course coffeine. And when I see it, I can't stop myself and I drink it.. I hope someone has good advices about this issue.
    I skipped lunch today, as I had a lot of work to do, and then started to read a book... So my biggest meal today consisted of chicken thights (without skin and bones) with lemon, garlic, chilli and ginger and cauliflower curry rice. As snack I had simply handful of raspberries and two small pieces of 90% dark chocolate. Supper was made of chicken leftovers, few slices of pork ham, and veggies mix, topped with cottage cheese. Afterwards I made dumbbell exercises. But my joints.. They are cracking very loud, I'm afraid about them..
    Maybe you are curious why I eat so few eggs.. Because my parents are afraid about my cholesterol levels. And I can't do anything about it... After tests I had they went mad (every fat level was too high) and told me that I can't eat as much liver and eggs as I used to

Again I've drank too much coffeine.. 4 cups of coffee and 3 of tea. Thats too much.. I'm happy that I can buy good quality coffee beans at least..

I can't wait any minute longer for my bike! I will have it day after tommorow, and I'm gonna have a veryyy long trip around my city

About calories.. I feel like I'm eating too much, but I know I'm not eating enough... I think it's still some kind of eating disorder, not as strong as anorexia, but still dangerous. Thanks to it I can't gain muscles..

My hormones still don't work good. I won't describe in details, but I feel that testosterone is messed.

Tommorow I'm going to check my weight, and do it on every Monday.

Thank you very much for responses, I really appericate them and wait for more

Have a good night and I wish you all nice Monday and good luck through whole week!

mplsmtnbiker is offline Junior Member
    Adrian, one of my vices is Coca Cola as well. However, I go for the regular kind. That Coke Zero and diet soda is full of chemicals as you stated, and also triggers an insulin response anyways even though its low calorie. There's been a couple of good studies and write ups on it. I have no idea how to stay away from it for the long term....pretty sure I was given Coke in my baby bottle, so it's been ingrained in me.

As for getting more fats in your diet, like more eggs and avocado, I'm sure no one on this site would find anything wrong with that. I frankly am not a doctor and don't know what damage of any last year caused for you and your body. After dealing with doctors who told me my problem was as easy a portion control, and getting more exercise, I know they are fallible. Gary Taubes is a great author whose scientific research journalism shows that a high fat diet is actually normal and healthy for humans. Perhaps pick up some books by him and leave them for your parents to read so they understand. Maybe your blood levels were during the adjustment period?

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast