Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My doctor wants me to go vegetarian page

PrimalHunter is offline Senior Member

My doctor wants me to go vegetarian

I recently saw the doctor for the first time since going primal. I wasn't going to say anything, but just let the results speak for themselves.

But I made the mistake of listing protein supplements on the form where it asks about anything you're taking, and that opened the floodgates. Apparently losing 35 pounds is too minor to even be noticed, but consuming adequate protein is cause for alarm. After all, every study has shown that red meat causes cancer, heart disease, and kidney problems, and vegetarian diets are healthiest. Whatever, I'll just let my blood test convince him, I thought.

They called a couple of days later to say that my cholesterol was really high. I'm supposed to go vegetarian, then come back in a month. I wrote down the numbers they gave me, and compared them to a printout of my last cholesterol test.

Pre-primal (0 egg consumption, not too much meat)
    Cholesterol: 219
    Triglycerides: 62
    HDL Cholesterol: 50
    LDL Cholesterol, Calculated: 157
    Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 4.4

Primal (5 dozen eggs per week, lots of meat, butter)
    Cholesterol: 224
    Triglycerides: 37
    HDL Cholesterol: 70
    LDL Cholesterol, Calculated: 147
    Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 3.2

I was really hoping that my total cholesterol would go down after eating 5 dozen eggs per week, because that would just be hilarious. Oh well, it went up 5 points. But HDL is up and LDL is down - that's good, right? Is my LDL a problem?

I think I know what you're going to say, but should I go vegetarian?
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    No.

Others will chime in with more detail, but Your cholesterol levels are more balanced for one thing.

mike is offline Senior Member
    I guess this means you'll have to find a new doctor...

vincebae is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I guess this means you'll have to find a new doctor...
    +1

It's very funny that the doctor recommend to abandon the current diet when HDL goes up and LDL and trig goes down.
    Also you can try VAP test to get the LDL profile.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Also, 5 points on the total cholesterol is within the margin of error. If you had gone DOWN 5 points, I sure your doctor would have made that point. And remember, 220 used to be the normal. You are only high because they changed the standard(and we see how that has helped!).

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    If your doctor recommends you go vegetarian, I recommend you go get a new doctor.

There is never, ever, ever a health-oriented reason to go vegetarian.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

otzi Guest
    I think you should definitely go vegan. Also, you should buy every book written by Joel Fuhrman--especially 'Super Immunity'. Never, ever eat another egg! They are killing you. Also, work on getting that HDL down, you don't want a little 'H' next to it! Did you know that every gram of cholesterol you eat goes straight to your arteries? You may also want to consider a low fat diet. I would recommend lots of iceberg lettuce with statin dressing.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalHunter View Post
    I recently saw the doctor for the first time since going primal. I wasn't going to say anything, but just let the results speak for themselves.

But I made the mistake of listing protein supplements on the form where it asks about anything you're taking, and that opened the floodgates. Apparently losing 35 pounds is too minor to even be noticed, but consuming adequate protein is cause for alarm. After all, every study has shown that red meat causes cancer, heart disease, and kidney problems, and vegetarian diets are healthiest. Whatever, I'll just let my blood test convince him, I thought.

They called a couple of days later to say that my cholesterol was really high. I'm supposed to go vegetarian, then come back in a month. I wrote down the numbers they gave me, and compared them to a printout of my last cholesterol test.

Pre-primal (0 egg consumption, not too much meat)
    Cholesterol: 219
    Triglycerides: 62
    HDL Cholesterol: 50
    LDL Cholesterol, Calculated: 157
    Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 4.4

Primal (5 dozen eggs per week, lots of meat, butter)
    Cholesterol: 224
    Triglycerides: 37
    HDL Cholesterol: 70
    LDL Cholesterol, Calculated: 147
    Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 3.2

I was really hoping that my total cholesterol would go down after eating 5 dozen eggs per week, because that would just be hilarious. Oh well, it went up 5 points. But HDL is up and LDL is down - that's good, right? Is my LDL a problem?

I think I know what you're going to say, but should I go vegetarian?
    Triglycerides down and HDL up means you win cholesterol. Get a doctor who's not an idiot. Hard to imagine better numbers than these.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I think Otzi said it. Go VEGAN! Don't forget to replace honey with agave syrup....

In all seriousness, your results did improve, so it is absolutely a case for a second opinion.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm not a cholesterol expert but your numbers look ideal to me.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast