Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: My doctor wants me to go vegetarian page 4

  1. #31
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    find a new Dr. i presume you paid for such a shitty opinion?

    now
    Your Total Cholesterol of 224 is BORDERLINE
    Your LDL of 147 is BORDERLINE
    Your HDL of 70 is OPTIMAL
    Your Triglyceride level of 37 is NORMAL


    RATIOS:

    Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 3.20 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
    Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.476 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
    Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.529 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

    before

    Your Total Cholesterol of 219 is BORDERLINE
    Your LDL of 157 is BORDERLINE
    Your HDL of 50 is NORMAL
    Your Triglyceride level of 62 is NORMAL


    RATIOS:

    Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 4.38 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) GOOD
    Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.318 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) GOOD
    Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.240 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL


    just quoted to reiterate. that's improvement.

  2. #32
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I agree with this....

    As long as you are eating primal and moving an appropriate amount there is next to nothing useful about getting your cholesterol checked.
    Well, if you need a physical for an MMA fight and don't want to pay for the visit, you have to get the bloodwork so the doctor codes it as a regular check-up and the insurance company pays the bill. Of course, if your opponent backs out at the last minute, the entire thing becomes moot.

    The doctor I went to last time told me my cholesterol was high and that I needed to cut down on my red meat and egg intake. I told her she was wrong, brought 20 pages of articles explaining why (which she outright refused to look at) and will never go back to her.

  3. #33
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,867
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well, if you need a physical for an MMA fight and don't want to pay for the visit, you have to get the bloodwork so the doctor codes it as a regular check-up and the insurance company pays the bill. Of course, if your opponent backs out at the last minute, the entire thing becomes moot.

    The doctor I went to last time told me my cholesterol was high and that I needed to cut down on my red meat and egg intake. I told her she was wrong, brought 20 pages of articles explaining why (which she outright refused to look at) and will never go back to her.
    lmao.... I'd love to see her politely refuse to read actual scientific data. "But, but, but I got this pamphlet from a seminar that lipitor sponsored ten years ago!"

  4. #34
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    lmao.... I'd love to see her politely refuse to read actual scientific data. "But, but, but I got this pamphlet from a seminar that lipitor sponsored ten years ago!"
    Her argument was "You can find studies that say anything you want" (I tried to point out that there's a difference between "good" and "heavily flawed" research, but she wasn't having it), I'm a doctor, so I know what I'm talking about.

    The fuck she does.

    I asked her how many people with HDL-C of 99 were dropping dead of heart attacks every day. She didn't have a clue.
    Last edited by RichMahogany; 08-01-2013 at 06:33 PM.

  5. #35
    KimchiNinja's Avatar
    KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    1,987
    You know, it is fun to say these doctors are idiots, but actually it's criminal. All your numbers moved in the right direction. What's interesting is that your LDL went down, for many people on paleo it goes up. Yet this idiot's plan is to get you off what is working and kill you with a vegetarian diet?

    Rich makes a good point. For example my HDL is 90 and my TRI are 50. How often do people with numbers like that drop dead of a heart attack? But my goofy doctor doesn't even see those numbers, he just looks at Total-C (a composite number which correlates with nothing) calls and says "you have fat in your blood, stop eating meat".

    We are all strong headed here, but what is sad is the average knucklehead is being slain by these doctors.

  6. #36
    KimchiNinja's Avatar
    KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    1,987
    Also here's an article on why LDL is near useless and Total-C is totally useless. The article was entertaining in that, while the average reader might not catch it, it flat out said carbs cause heart attacks.

    "LDL comes in four basic forms: a big, fluffy form known as large LDL, and three increasingly dense forms known as medium, small, and very small LDL. A diet high in saturated fat mainly boosts the numbers of large-LDL particles, while a low-fat diet high in carbohydrates propagates the smaller forms. The big, fluffy particles are largely benign, while the small, dense versions keep lipid-science researchers awake at night."

    Bad cholesterol: It's not what you think - | NBC News

  7. #37
    CarbDodger's Avatar
    CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    784
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Also here's an article on why LDL is near useless and Total-C is totally useless. The article was entertaining in that, while the average reader might not catch it, it flat out said carbs cause heart attacks.

    "LDL comes in four basic forms: a big, fluffy form known as large LDL, and three increasingly dense forms known as medium, small, and very small LDL. A diet high in saturated fat mainly boosts the numbers of large-LDL particles, while a low-fat diet high in carbohydrates propagates the smaller forms. The big, fluffy particles are largely benign, while the small, dense versions keep lipid-science researchers awake at night."

    Bad cholesterol: It's not what you think - | NBC News
    too true, thats why the VAPs best really
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •