groquette is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (\quette)

Shop Now
    Progress Pictures
    August 2009 - June 2010
    10 months fat loss - side
    10 months fat loss - back

Primal Journey Summary
    For no particular reason other than that I suddenly got the urge to chronicle for a while, I'm starting a journal.

I went primal on August 25th, 2009 while reading Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. It was a Tuesday, and I saw no reason to finish the book or wait for a Monday or September 1st before getting started.

Over the next week or so I googled fairly obsessively for people with experience doing a high-fat/low-carbohydrate diet, and found lots and lots of frankenfood approaches that didn't appeal to me, and many people doing low-carb that were obsessing about calories, which also didn't appeal to me. Somehow I came across MDA -- a comment somewhere on some blog that I found linked to from some forum.

I started out with 40% bodyfat, at about 185 lbs. For a 30 year old, 5'4" female, that's not too hot. With a BMI of 32 that's considered "mildly obese". My blood work was not awful, but also not great.

My approach for the first 4 months was no-nonsense: Meat, eggs, some fish, cheese, lots of fat in the form of sauces, cream, and butter (mmm... butter!), and some vegetables. I wasn't avoiding vegetables, but I didn't really feel like eating any at first. I mostly didn't bother with nuts, and I mostly ignored fruit. I didn't worry about minute amounts of sugar in condiments. I didn't exercise.

I ate when hungry, skipped the occasional meal if eating was inconvenient, and after the first few weeks, settled into a rhythm of 2 meals a day.

I lost about 35 lbs in those first 4 months.

In the next 4 months I took an 80/20 approach, and lost no weight. I also didn't gain any weight, which, considering the amount of Tiramisu consumed, is pretty astounding. I still didn't exercise. I still ate when hungry, about 2 meals a day.

The following month (9th, if you're counting), I scaled back on the 20% cheats and went back to basics, and lost an additional 3 or 4 lbs. I also started sleeping a good deal more, and even started going for the occasional walk, which dramatically increased the amount of sunshine I got.

The 10th month I decided to do a challenge -- no coffee, and no cheese binges. I had serious coffee withdrawals for the first 4 days (painful, painful headache!), but after that, didn't miss it. I still have cheese, but just a bit with food where it makes sense and matters. The results: 10 more pounds lost.

Apart from weight loss
    - I no longer have digestive complaints (I've been constipated since before I learned to walk)
    - headaches are much less frequent
    - my hair is silky and healthy
    - my skin is very clear and "glowy" and darkened a bit even before adding sunshine to the mix
    - I rarely have bouts of insomnia anymore
    - I have far more energy
    - I got my period back after several years of (mostly) amennorrhea
    - I've learned an amazing amount about cooking, despite not being the main chef at home

My results have inspired quite a few people to experiment with primal, and their successes have been awesome.
    Last edited by groquette; 06-26-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Greg is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to primal journaling, groquette - and thanks for sharing your story. I also threw my excuse list away and started on a Tuesday evening back in November 2008. One point you made, that everyone should take note of, is... if all else fails, stick to the basics. Well said! I look forward to reading future posts of yours.
    ZC - 100% Carnivore

I EAT VEGANS

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by groquette View Post
    d have started going for the occasional walk, which has dramatically increased the amount of sunshine I get.
    You've been very successful with this. it's great to hear your story. Keep in mind that the walk, while it increases your sun exposure, might not increase your vitamin D exposure depending on % of body covered, latitude, time of day etc.

My sig line has some links that may be helpful.

Best to you,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

if all else fails, stick to the basics
    Yes! While I didn't pussy-foot into this lifestyle, I also didn't sweat the details. Basics can take you a long way!

Keep in mind that the walk [...] might not increase your vitamin D exposure
    Good point, Katherine, and thanks for the reminder!

I've decided to do my first 30-day challenge, starting on June 1st.

Here's my challenge to myself:
    * no coffee
    * no grains/sugars/starchy vegetables
    * no cheese binges
    * walk every day
    * get a full nights sleep every night

I cut coffee a week ago, and had the most excruciating headache for 3 days. Before that I'd been drinking an espresso with a shot of heavy cream each morning. I suppose that's not a whole lot, traditionally, but the headache convinced me that I'd better make coffee an occasional treat, not a daily occurrence.

I've been really good about staying off the grains, sugars, and starches, and I don't find it difficult. I'm only adding it to the list in order to formalize the 30-day deal for myself.

The cheese binges... let's just say that I will need to find some high-fat snacks for when I start craving something, or start experimenting with IF. While I'm not going to be cutting out dairy entirely in the near future, the cheese binges can't be good. They're pretty expensive, too, since I have a ridiculously snobbish taste in cheese. *sigh*.

Nine months ago suggesting a walk every day would have had me close to tears. Now it's just a matter of putting my shoes on and actually getting myself out the door. Very cool!

As for the full night's sleep, I've actually been getting a solid 9 to 13 hours a night for the past 2 weeks. I suspect that this will scale back a bit naturally as I get more rested.
    Last edited by groquette; 05-31-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: speling :-p

Yesterday I discovered a thread on "Convict Conditioning" and am quite intrigued.

I poked around teh intertubes to find more than just book reviews, and came across a complete overview of the steps for each of the progressions.

Someone here also helpfully pointed out the Convict Conditioning Channel on YouTube which displays each step in action.

This is the first time in /mumble/ that I actually want to exercise (beyond going for a walk).

Not quite sure where I'm taking this, but I'm excited about being excited about exercising!
    Last edited by groquette; 06-01-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: formatting

I had no idea that cutting out the cheese binges would have such an impact. I'm only on day 3 of the challenge, but am visibly leaner, and dropped 2 lbs on the scale. Of course, it could be random fluctuations, and I'll be keeping an eye on various metrics, this is very encouraging.

I also discovered that I needed to make my meals a tad bit larger -- one of the reasons I was craving cheese all the time is that I was still a bit hungry. Go figure. I bet it's all this walking around.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by groquette View Post
    Apart from weight loss
    - I no longer have digestive complaints (I've been constipated since before I learned to walk)
    - headaches are much less frequent
    - my hair is silky and healthy
    - my skin is very clear and "glowy" and darkened a bit even before adding sunshine to the mix
    - I rarely have bouts of insomnia anymore
    - I have far more energy
    - I got my period back after several years of (mostly) amennorrhea
    - I've learned an amazing amount about cooking, despite not being the main chef at home

My results have inspired quite a few people to experiment with primal, and their successes have been awesome.
    welcome to the party

welcome to the party
    Thank you!

Not much exciting to relate. Day 5 of the challenge, and it has gone smoothly so far.

Yesterday I ate pepperoni-snack-pizza-thingies which isn't exactly a cheese binge, but kind of close. I suspect that the pepperoni had lots of gunk in it, because I felt a bit weird after eating them, and the kitchen smelled like wet dog. Eeew. I don't think I'll be having any more of those!

Walking every day has been awesome. Now I'm all curious about barefooting, and I spent ages watching videos of Barefoot Ted and Chris McDougall, and Daniel Lieberman.

I started doing the Convict Conditioning workouts, just starting very carefully at step 1 of the New Blood program. I ordered the book and am waiting (with bated breath!) for it to arrive.

All in all: awesome, but no drama

jennybug is offline Junior Member
    Very inspiring!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast