Thread: Trying to sprint and gain muscle. page

Primo is offline Junior Member

Question Trying to sprint and gain muscle.

Shop Now
    Hello,

As I mentioned in my presentation I would like to start to do some sprints and gain muscle (and lose abdominal fat which is hard to do at my age). I should do strength training but I am bored of the gym.

I am thin and by nature and age it is hard for me to gain muscle.

But I read at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gain-...-build-muscle/ that you can use sprints to release GH and gain muscle.

Due to some health problems it has been some time since I do not run. Not that I used to run a lot, maybe 6 km when I am in good form.

What would you suggest?. Run until warming and then sprint? Do you run at low pace between sprints or just walk?

How many times a week considering I will not hit the gym?. What to eat/drink after running?.

I am trying to eat low carb but due to low mood and bad weather it is very difficult.

I welcome any suggestion and please understand I am just starting. Thanks.

This is where I plan to run (the pic is very old, tall buildings are there now not in the green area and trees are grown along the trail). It is a hard surface (probably not good for my feet problems), but there are some spaces with grass.

Last edited by Primo; 05-29-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    I can tell you my routine. My street is 3/4 mile long and fairly hilly. I start cold and do a light jog to the end of the street. Then I sprint back, stopping to walk in between. I don't time them, but I try to sprint until I feel like I'm about to hurl. Most of the time I complete 5 sprints. Sometimes I turn and go back up the street for one or two more. It usually takes around 17-20 minutes, and then I'm done! You can also "sprint" up a weight workout. Google "tabatas" and have some fun.

mkp6652 is offline Junior Member

Sprints Are Fantastic

I try to sprint once a week. The key IMO is to warm up adequately. The more time you can allot to a proper warm up, the better. If you have 20 minutes to work out, then I would rather have you warm up for 10 minutes by steadily increasing the intensity of the warm up and then run sprints w/ rest periods to get breath. Allow 5 minutes to cool down with minimal movement, light stretching etc.

Nothing wrong with pushing hard to exhaustion and even puking during a workout, however mentally a person needs to be in "that zone" where it doesn't inspire a future missed workout. The bottom line is the benefits will come after putting together a month of sprint workouts so don't overdue it right away.

I used to sprint a lot more, 2-3 times a week. 7-10 sprints 40-100 yards per sprint and I must tell you the overall strength and Lean Body Mass gains were great. Although, mentally they are tougher than hitting the weights hard. They belong in everyone's workouts but go easy and they will reward you.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    too some people Sprints are hell. I dont like um, but they work!
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

William is offline Junior Member
    I gave up chronic cardio (long distance bike racing) about 2 months ago and like you, I could not lift weights due to a shoulder problem. To make my training more primal, I switched to one very easy bike ride once a week and 2 sprint workouts on the bike. My sprint proocol is 15 minutes easy warm up, sprint for 30 seconds up a slight incline, recover for 90 seconds and repeat 6 times.

I was skeptical that any sprinting on a bike combined with a primal diet would add any muscle to my upper body, However, I have definitely gained muscle evenly over my upper body with no noticeable gain in body fat. I think the diet is key, I needed to up the total calories in addition to the sprinting. I thought this increase in calories would push up my body fat levels but this has not happened. By the way, I am 43 years old.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I do hill sprints once a week. I found a nice 100 yard hill... run to top... walk back down. I do about 10 runs then call it a day