Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to america as a student page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Moving to america as a student

Shop Now
    I've been thinking about this for a while, but after my trip the past couple weeks to the US I'm sure I wanna live here. In the Netherlands it's extremely difficult to find friends who have goals an are motivated to reach them. After 16 years I never found any. Now I'm here for 3 weeks and I instantley found multiple awesome guys who's lives are not about being lazy and partying all night but are actually trying to accomplish the same goals as me. This is one of the most valueable things to me.

Anyways, I am looking for advice on how to move here. I'm already applying for the Fulbright scholarship. Are there any other scholarships I should know of? And what about college apartments, are they all the same price or does it depend on which college you go to?
    These are all kind of random questions but I just need somewhere to start. Thanks
    Billie trips balls

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    You will find the same types of people here as well if you look in the wrong places. The prices of apartments will vary greatly depending on where you want to go to school. I would try to find a good school that has a reasonable cost of living and low crime in the area. Where did you visit while you were here in the US?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    The costs cam vary wildly depending on where you choose to go. The universities near the large towns will be more expensive as far as cost of living us concerned, and your choice of accommodations, on or off campus, meal plans, etc will be different too.

Also, don't assume people us the US are more healthy. We don't have one of the highest obesity rates in the world for no reason. It takes a certain type to follow paleo, you'd have better luck with meet ups and such if you choose to live here.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I hope they grant you a habijillion dollars. Our colleges are 'spensive. If you're here for the experience, I'd start at a community college or something, if possible.

Where'd you visit? If you find yourself on the east coast, somewhere near DC or Baltimore, let me know.

M.

KotikBegemotik is offline Senior Member
    Gadsie, big kudos to you for having your sh-tuff so together!

How many years do you have until you graduate? What degree and major do you want to pursue?

US Schools place a heavy emphasis on community involvement(volunteering), extracurriculars, and other factors on top of academics, make sure you're doing these so that you look good on school and scholarship applications. My two cents.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

"Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

"Don't Panic"
    -H2G2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If you go to a university here as an undergraduate, you'll likely either live in campus housing which is fairly pricey and comes with a meal plan among a lot of other amenities or you will have to find your own housing off-campus (i.e. rent a room in someone's house or an apartment either alone or with roommates.) The latter is cheaper usually but you may need to find a reliable means of transportation. Not always is there good public transportation or safe bikeways available. Also, some regions of the country have really bad weather. So research all these parameters if you can.

If you are not averse to the idea, you can usually save a fair bit of money by using a junior or community college for the first two years of your college education. Use it to get the general education requirements out of the way and some of the low-level requirements for your major. Make sure the classes you take are transferrable, though. Sometimes they are not. Even for out-of-state students, it's usually cheaper and they tend to do outreach for foreign students because they get a lot more money for them than in-state students. Santa Barbara City College feels like a little island of China these days.

As far as the American personality traits, yes, we are pretty goal-oriented. Even the lazy ones among us. They just have different goals. We're also pretty optimistic.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    One thing you should know is that for some reason a lot of college students think college is the time to party. It's hard for me to fathom given the fact that college is so expensive. Some cities are easy to get around in without a car and some are practically impossible so you have to factor in the cost of maintaining a vehicle as well. Keep in mind that healthcare is way more expensive here too. I lived in Europe for a year and half when I was in my 20's and loved it. I think travel is always good to expand your worldview, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend going to school in the US, maybe a Summer program would be enough.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Have you considered doing an exchange program while you're still under 18? American public high schools aren't known for their high quality education but it would certainly be an interesting cultural experience.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Do I live in the same america...? lol

And gadsie, you are maybe too young to notice the difference between obedience/conformity and motivation.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I would just come to America to experience it not as a student. It costs an arm and a leg to go to college before you factor in living expenses. The lowest tuition is public colleges, which is a system by state and they charge an arm and a leg for out of state students. Plus.... US colleges are full of people that are just stupid drunk all the time. Unless you find a very specific program of study, it's probably a waste of money.

If you can get a scholarship, then by all means come. Cost of living varies. LOL, my college apartment was $275 a month. But in some places it could be $1000 or $2000 and living on campus is generally pricey and includes a required meal plan featuring non-primal foods. Try and live off campus.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast