Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to america as a student page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    If you find yourself in southern California, let me know. I will be happy to help you get pointed in the right direction.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone! I will read all of this stuff a little better tonight
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    If you find yourself in southern California, let me know. I will be happy to help you get pointed in the right direction.
    I'm actually sitting in santa monica right now
    Billie trips balls

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I'm actually sitting in santa monica right now
    No wonder you are wanting to come to the US for more than just a vacation. Santa Monica is lovely. The best part of Los Angeles, IMO.

Haha, yeah I know. Yesterday I met 3 guys on the beach hete who were all in college. They weren't rich, just regular college studets. One of them lived in hollywood. I think it's a good idea to just go live in some cheap place within driving distance to santa monica. Because santa monica is pretty much a dream place to be.
    Billie trips balls

Thanks for all the answers. May I ask what a community college is?

And I realize that there are a lot of lazy alcoholic douchebags here, but the thing is in the Netherlands, literally everyone is a zombie. Appearantly I'm good at finding like minded-people in america. Yesterday I was just walking across the beach and saw 3 guys approaching girls (like simple pickup). I also do this, and in the Netherlands I couldn't find anyone doing this and I'm here for only a couple weeks and bam, I find these people. We started talking and bam, found out one of them ate paleo. Could be coincedence but oh well.

Also, is it true that's it's quite cheap to live in hollywood? I heard itwas actually a pretty poor city and these 3 students live there.

By the way, I saw FuriousPete workout at the beach, we had a conversation and we're definitely best friends now.
    Last edited by Gadsie; 08-01-2013 at 10:37 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It is cheap to live in hollywood (relative to other neighborhoods) but it's not that safe of a neighborhood last I looked into it (which was about 2 years ago).

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Because santa monica is pretty much a dream place to be.
    There are loads of American kids who dream of going to college in So. Cal. too, lol. I'm not surprised you're tempted.

If you're able to get a scholarship, I'd say go for it. There are great 4 year universities in CA. If you have to pay your own way, a couple years at a community college (2 year school) while you scope out your options is a good plan too. At your age, any plan for moving forward is OK.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    A community college is kind of like a discount school. Quality varies, and they usually only vend 2 year degrees. I went to one for a while, could have done better. Started a few clubs, changed a lot of lives, though. That's something I used to be really good at.

M.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Back in the early 1990s when I studied at UCLA, you could work your way through and expect to graduate with minimal debt. Now wages have stagnated and costs have gone up and even if you worked long hours you could not expect to graduate from any public university in California debt free. Parts of Hollywood are definitely cheaper than the expensive areas around UCLA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast