Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally found something i like.... page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Finally found something i like....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a long-standing hatred of exercise. I did it my whole life - even did a triathlon and ran some races. But i hated every single minute of it. You name it, I've tried it.

A few months ago I started going to Krav Maga classes and I am absolutely hooked! It is brutal on my joints (I have rheumatoid arthritis) and the class absolutely kicks my butt. But the time goes so fast and I love that I am learning something "real" while sweating.

Not sure how paleo this type of thing is, but it gets my blood flowing

Did anyone else struggle to find a workout they love? What was it in the end that caught your interest?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I do like a fair bit of activities, but I hear you on the 'hate every moment of it'. I really tried to get on the bike/spinning vibe, and it was the only thing I could do, I would never stick to staying fit! Gods, I hate, hate, hate all things bike! That's coming from someone who is basically a gym rat.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I do like a fair bit of activities, but I hear you on the 'hate every moment of it'. I really tried to get on the bike/spinning vibe, and it was the only thing I could do, I would never stick to staying fit! Gods, I hate, hate, hate all things bike! That's coming from someone who is basically a gym rat.
    I don't like biking either - loved it as a kid, but after a nasty accident in my teens I could never feel confident again. What is your favorite workout?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I prefer slow measured lifting from the weight training camp, and from cardio it's boxing/kicking against a bag, Zumba with a good instructor and swimming in the tropical ocean before breakfast watching the corals and fishies. Obviously, the last one does not happen often! My 'lottery' dream is basically having an access to an ocean to swim. Huge personal saltwater pool is a close second. I am clumsy and limited on the dry land, but in water I am... well, better, lol.

I do love step, and running outdoors once in a while. And when time is short, I do elliptical. Any type of aerobic dancing is fun, but the classes are usually too large to enjoy, and DVDs too repetitive. I am still undecided about MAs with actual humans involved.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Did anyone else struggle to find a workout they love? What was it in the end that caught your interest?
    I'm lazy so I started with Body by Science, 10 minutes a week? I can do that, plus the two minutes HIT on my rowing machine. Then I thought about saving time by doing something at home rather than walking 25 minutes to the gym. Sold the rowing machine for 600, bought a pull up/dips tower for 40 and looked out the set of weights I had lying around unused. That was fine but then I wanted something I could do anywhere with absolutely no kit. Enter Al Kavadlo's Pushing the Limits book. Now I walk the mile or so to town five days a week and bring home shopping in a rucksack and do my PtL exercise once or twice a week, plus doing some push ups before I shave in the morning.

I still don't like doing exercise but appreciate what the little I partake of is doing for my health. My resting pulse is now down to about 50.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Krav Maga for me too!

What organization is your school affiliated with?

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Krav Maga looks really intense, I would kind of like to learn something like that. Many, many years ago I did Model Mugging. I haven't really found a type of exercise that I love. I don't really enjoy exercise for exercise's sake, I like riding my bike but I do it for transportation; for me it takes the fun out of it if I go for a ride because I "need" the exercise. Same goes with swimming, I love messing about in the water but swimming laps just doesn't interest me.

I live in a really small town, the only exercise classes that I know of are Zumba (not interested) and yoga, we don't even have a swimming pool. I hike with my dogs, which I enjoy but it isn't very rigorous and now I'm doing You are Your Own Gym. I like the way I'm getting stronger but I can't say that I love doing YAYOG.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I'm lazy so I started with Body by Science, 10 minutes a week? I can do that, plus the two minutes HIT on my rowing machine. Then I thought about saving time by doing something at home rather than walking 25 minutes to the gym. Sold the rowing machine for 600, bought a pull up/dips tower for 40 and looked out the set of weights I had lying around unused. That was fine but then I wanted something I could do anywhere with absolutely no kit. Enter Al Kavadlo's Pushing the Limits book. Now I walk the mile or so to town five days a week and bring home shopping in a rucksack and do my PtL exercise once or twice a week, plus doing some push ups before I shave in the morning.

I still don't like doing exercise but appreciate what the little I partake of is doing for my health. My resting pulse is now down to about 50.
    Do you find any joy in your workouts? I never could before. At all. I also never felt good after like so many people do. I think I needed something that requires intense concentration while exercising so I am too focused to notice that it hurts

Sounds like what your doing is working though!!

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Krav Maga for me too!

What organization is your school affiliated with?
    Hmmm....I don't even know how to answer that question!! It is called Vanguard Krav Maga. Is that the affiliation? How long have you been doing it?

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    When I first started trying to lose weight, I took up running because my husband did it. I did a couple of marathons, a few halfs, and other assorted races. When we were stationed in a colder climate, I stopped and I haven't really gone back. When I started Primal, I did the basic Primal fitness movements but didn't stick with it. I'm at a point now that I enjoy the heck out of my rowing machine (found an old Model B, I totally get in a zone and do some great thinking), I walk but would prefer an area to walk regularly that included a beach (not driving 30+ minutes each way every day just to walk), I run/walk weekly, I do maybe 15 minutes of yoga (mainly sun salutations) because it feels good.

So, I guess my faves are rowing and yoga. And walking on a beach. I'd probably run on the beach too. It's about the scenery and/or the ability to get into a mindframe that allows for completely free-flowing thoughts.
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast