Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to bake a chicken? page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

How to bake a chicken?

Primal Fuel
    So, I've been buying those Rotisserie Chicken's from the grocery store but I'd like to move on into making my own - they're cheaper, bigger, and I'll know exactly what's in it.

Anyways, I baked a whole chicken last week (@ 400 degrees until it reached 170 degrees on the inside) and the skin was crispy and OUTSTANDING! but the actual meat on the inside was a little chewy and bland and the skin on the bottom of the chicken was soggy.

Any suggestions on how to make it better?
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

dsantana is offline Senior Member
    I would bake it a little slower. Try 350 until done. You can also cook it breast down and it will stew in its own juices

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    This is the recipe I use every time, and it always comes out incredible. Tying the legs up with kitchen twine helps to get more brown underneath and stuffing the cavity of the bird with the halved lemon helps to keep it moist and very flavorful. I make this once a week in the winter

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I use a Jamie Oliver recipe as my fall back for perfect chicken.

Start the oven at 450.

Take butter and smoosh together with chopped bacon, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme.
    Run your hand between the skin and the breast, slash the thighs, and seperate the thighs and legs from their skin. Stuff the mixture between the skin and the meat. The remainder, smear over the breast and legs.

You can chop vegetables and put them on the bottom of the pan (carrots, onions, celeriac, parsnip etc) as a "rack" or just use a rack. Place in the oven and turn the heat down to about 325, cook until internal temp reads 170, cover with tinfoil and let rest for 10 minutes.

People will fight over this.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Yes I know what you mean. You can 'spatchcock' the bird ie cut down the backbone and flatten it out and maybe cook it on a slightly raised rack in a baking dish. This also cooks quicker about 45 mins at 180oC/350oF for medium sized. My quick easy recipe for chook is olive oil (or something else if you prefer) drizzled over the whole or flattened chook, heaps of lemon juice, dried oregano and pepper. Skin always comes out nice and crispy. I always have these ingredients on hand so easy peasy but you can be be more adventurous.
    Mexican spices work well too if you want a bit of 'bite'.
    Pre cooked chooks here in the supermarkets have generally been injected with water and flavourings/pre basted to make them more 'tasty'. And they can be quite pricey.
    I wish they'd stop buggering about with food sooooooo unnecessary!!!!!!!!!!!

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Agree with elorajade too, we've done that Jamie Oliver recipe and it was awesome! you just have to be gentle when you get under the skin so you don't tear it!

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    I bake mine for 2 hours at 350 F. They come out perfect every time. I just grind a little black pepper on the skin and put it breast side down in the roasting pan sitting on a foil liner greased with olive oil to prevent sticking.

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    I have a similar recipe to Katie82 that I use every time. It's low maintenance (no basting required) and delicious with the gravy you can make from it. If you have an extra roasting pan, you can throw in some roots and tubers and get a full meal out of it. I just wrote about this the other day. Click here for the recipe.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Nothing beats a whole chicken to quell a primal appetite. Bare hands of course!
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Nasno is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast