Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to bake a chicken? page 2

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Here in NS it's cheaper to buy a supermarket chicken than to roast your own. By almost double in some places.

My kids wanted to eat out on Friday, so I bought a chicken (they had McDonalds) and I ate probaly half that bird. Oh it was yummy!

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Here's my usual roast chicken recipe: Pan-Roasted Chicken & Gravy. I make a few changes: I use butter or bacon grease instead of vegetable oil, and I add some carrots and onions to the pan. I still use a tiny bit of flour to thicken the gravy (), but I just bought some arrowroot to try instead. The skin on this chicken is SO GOOD!
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

esloser is offline Member
    Nothing beats a beer can chicken either in the oven or on the grill...

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    To have the meat cook better while having the meat stay moist, for the last 1/3rd of however long you cook the chicken, or even 1/2 of the time (depending on how well the skin is cooked) cover the bird with foil.

Also make sure you cook it on a raised grill inside of the pan, if you aren't already.

HTH

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    When I do my chickens, I fill the inside with either lemons, zested and cut in half, or apples and onions-usually a tart granny smith. I mix the lemon zest with butter and other herbs and smear between the flesh and skin. Truss up the bird and start it breast side down in a bed of chopped up veg--carrots, celery, onion. Bake for half the time breast side down and then flip it breast side up to finish. The skin isn't always super crispy, so I bump up the temp just a bit to get it crispy for about the last 30 minutes or so. Really good, great juices to pour over or use to make stock.
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all - I just purchased a whole chicken at the store and once I got to the car I realized I had no idea how to cook it.

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I'm Italian.
    This is how you bake a chicken.
    This is primal.
    In Italian.
    Pollo Al Forno Lento con Erba Crema
    In English
    Slow Roasted Chicken with Herb Cream Sauce

You need:

One fresh chicken
    3/4 cup of olive oil
    I tablespoon of the following fresh chopped herbs:
    Oregano, Rosemary, Basil, and Thyme
    6 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 red onion
    1 lemon
    1 cup of heavy cream
    salt and pepper
    fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    Gently warm olive oil in a pan. Add half the herbs and all the garlic to the olive oil and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the zest and juice of the lemon to the olive oil. Stuff the chicken with both halves of the lemon and the red onion, thinly sliced.
    Brush the herb, lemon, garlic and oil mixture thoroughly over the chicken. Get as much under the skin as on top of it. Salt and pepper the chicken thoroughly. Place chicken in a roasting pan and add the rest of the oil mixture to the pan. Place in 425 degree oven for 5 minutes then reduce heat to 275. Every twenty to thirty minutes, remove chicken from oven and baste heavily with oil and drippings. After two and a half hours, remove chicken from oven and drain all drippings into sauce pan. Salt and pepper the bird and Return to oven increasing heat to 425 for fifteen minutes. Add the cream and remaining herbs to the drippings, heat and stir gently.

Remove chicken from oven. Remove onions and lemon from chicken. Discard lemon. Chicken will be falling off the bone when carved. Serve meat smothered in herb cream sauce and topped with the onions and some fresh parsley.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    I'm Italian.
    This is how you bake a chicken.
    This is primal.
    In Italian.
    Pollo Al Forno Lento con Erba Crema
    In English
    Slow Roasted Chicken with Herb Cream Sauce

You need:

One fresh chicken
    3/4 cup of olive oil
    I tablespoon of the following fresh chopped herbs:
    Oregano, Rosemary, Basil, and Thyme
    6 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 red onion
    1 lemon
    1 cup of heavy cream
    salt and pepper
    fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    Gently warm olive oil in a pan. Add half the herbs and all the garlic to the olive oil and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the zest and juice of the lemon to the olive oil. Stuff the chicken with both halves of the lemon and the red onion, thinly sliced.
    Brush the herb, lemon, garlic and oil mixture thoroughly over the chicken. Get as much under the skin as on top of it. Salt and pepper the chicken thoroughly. Place chicken in a roasting pan and add the rest of the oil mixture to the pan. Place in 425 degree oven for 5 minutes then reduce heat to 275. Every twenty to thirty minutes, remove chicken from oven and baste heavily with oil and drippings. After two and a half hours, remove chicken from oven and drain all drippings into sauce pan. Salt and pepper the bird and Return to oven increasing heat to 425 for fifteen minutes. Add the cream and remaining herbs to the drippings, heat and stir gently.

Remove chicken from oven. Remove onions and lemon from chicken. Discard lemon. Chicken will be falling off the bone when carved. Serve meat smothered in herb cream sauce and topped with the onions and some fresh parsley.
    My mouth literally started watering as i read this @_@
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    +1 for the mouth watering. I knew I shouldn't have read this post while fasting.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast