Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Few Notes From a "Low Carb'r" page

abc123 is offline Senior Member

A Few Notes From a "Low Carb'r"

Primal Fuel
    Just a few bullets, maybe some truths & thoughts related to my body.

-We are all unique snowflakes. Everyone (over the age of 6?) has some level of metabolic damage & derangement. Age, stress, number of cookies eaten, genetics, alchohol consumption, grain consumption, etc etc etc has us ALL 'off balance' metabolically to a different degree.

-I’ve eaten trash for probably 26 of my 32 years of life. Of course I can’t handle sugar right now! I'm still pulling weeds out of my digestive system & nurturing the new plantings.

-Success in anything is discipline, discipline, discipline. 90% of my friends & family know what they should be eating & how they should treat their body. But few actually follow through & stay discplined. There's no secret, or a short cut.

-The body’s ability to handle sugar seems to be a good measure of where my overall health is. My nieces are 4 & 6. They run on sugar because their pure digestive system & guts can utilize the insulin rush. My 81 yr old grandfather can’t handle a Capri Sun, but he loves a big juicy steak. Makes him smile. Fat seems to last. Carbs seem to be the sexy one night stand that’ll take you to the moon (for the night, if you can handle it

-What a powerful hormone insulin is. Too little: you become resistant & fruit gives me the runs. Too much: & I am swollen, inflamed, bloated & fat. But timed well & a healthy/balanced metabolism, that apple or potato makes you feel like you can leap on top of buildings!

-I'm not looking to be an elite athlete anymore & live in peak performance. I'm looking for cruise control & steadiness. Fat is that answer for me. Reminds me of a good metaphor I read from Kent Reske. He says, fat is like a deisel engine that's built to run for miles @ a steady pace. Sugar is like the combustion engine of a race car. Explodes off the line & fast but breaks down often.

-Fat has cleaned up my skin, teeth, hair, nails, allergies, hunger pangs, healed my guts & lessened inflammation. Carbohydrate fills out my muscles, spikes my energy & improves my attitude. Both are important to my health. I need both but predominately more fat.

-I've always had bad allergies. The immunologist would give me shots of what I was allergic to, to build a defense & cure the allergy. I see carbohydrate in a similar way. In order to teach my body to handle insulin, I need to feed it some carbohydrate, not completely avoid it.

-Carbohydrate isn’t to blame for my insulin resistance. Chicken wings, double cheeseburgers, cheesecake, nachos, haagan dazs & pizza has destroyed the purity of my digestive & immune system. Fake food has destroyed my ability to efficiently absorb real food.

-@ some point, I have to start feeding my body natural starches & fruit again. I need to be able to ‘handle’ eating all forms of natural food. My body will become insulin resistant if I completely avoid carbohydrate for too long. Not sure if that happens after 6 months or 5 years, but my body should be able to utilize the nutrients in a potato or any type of fruit.

-My goal is to properly digest & absorb the vitamins & minerals in ALL natural foods.

-The key to life is moderation. I eat like a pig & am OCD. If 1 pill is good, 3 EVERYDAY will be GREAT! I need a little bit of this, little bit of that.

-Carbohydrates make me more hungry. My lifestyle supports less time eating. I don’t have time to eat 3-4 times a day or even snack. High fat allows me to eat less often, I like it.

-NOTHING works if I don’t sleep well. Sleep seems to be the most important aspect of my health.

-My kids (I don’t have any quite yet) will not eat like ‘kids’ do. They can handle sugar & processed foods because they have pure metabolisms & immune systems. I’m convinced part of my problem is because my addiction to ‘trash’ started when I was 4 yrs old. We are all creatures of habit. I’d like to keep my kids pure & clean as long as possible, so they will eat real food like an adult as soon as they have teeth to chew.

Just some bullets & notes here on my journey. Figured some could relate or totally disagree.

Hope you all are well this evening!
    Last edited by abc123; 07-31-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Excellent, thanks mate, that was a really helpful read!!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Hey, good luck on continuing to sort things out. Sounds like your well on your way in a manner that I tend to agree with. Its called the 4 R's, and they are usually used in association with gut health and autoimmunity, but in cases of metabolic syndrome they kinda make sense too....that is if you fenangle the meanings a bit.

Remove....the stressor (bye bye carbs for the time being)
    Repair.....the damage (allow things to settle down...lose weight and take up exercise improving insulin sensitivity and giving the ole beta cells a reprieve..... oh and good sleep and rest very important here as well.)
    Restore and/or Replace.... (may begin reincorporating natural carbs slowly to point of tolerance OR you may have to replace them with fat for a longer period if your damage is excessive)

Actually this is right in line with Atkins .....maybe not his exact reasoning, but the prescription is still pretty good IMO....Start of VLC and give your body a break from the oxidative stress and excess AGE's associated with a dysfunctional glucose metabolism. Then slowly increase to the level as tolerated up only to a point that is consistent with what you can get from whole foods and feel well.

But, just one thing I disagree on ......

Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. - Cause Tyler Durden says so!
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-01-2013 at 06:31 AM.

pabs is offline Senior Member
    Hey abc,

I lot of what you're saying resonates with what I'm going through at the moho. I'm fairly new to paleo (6 months) and find that eating too much of fruit/'safe starches' makes me feel bloated and then crave even more, but if I eat too little and exercise more than I should, I very easily become fatigued at it takes days to recover from such episodes.

I agree with your statement in that well timed carb intake seems to give me a great boost but I'm yet to pin point what 'well timed' means. Have you made any notes on this? If so, please do share.

vincebae is offline Member
    Thank you for the great advices.
    However, what's wrong with the chicken wings?
    I love chicken wings and don't see any problem with them if prepared appropriately.

otzi Guest
    I was at a barbeque the other night. There was a beautiful Malemute running around, getting scraps and pats from everyone. The owner kept warning people to only give her dog bones. She later said the dog was having hair loss, skin problems, and was very bloated because they had fed him too many fast food table scraps and commercial dog food. They now only feed the dog raw meat and bones and the dog's health has improved immensely.

The dog's owner, 100 pounds overweight with bad skin and wearing a knee brace told me this while shovelling birthday cake in her mouth, chugging Mountain Dew, and eating Doritoes...

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vincebae View Post
    I love chicken wings and don't see any problem with them if prepared appropriately.
    LOL, I thought same thing. But prepared by someone other than yourself usually means fried in the nasty fake oils....

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I was at a barbeque the other night. There was a beautiful Malemute running around, getting scraps and pats from everyone. The owner kept warning people to only give her dog bones. She later said the dog was having hair loss, skin problems, and was very bloated because they had fed him too many fast food table scraps and commercial dog food. They now only feed the dog raw meat and bones and the dog's health has improved immensely.

The dog's owner, 100 pounds overweight with bad skin and wearing a knee brace told me this while shovelling birthday cake in her mouth, chugging Mountain Dew, and eating Doritoes...
    Gotta love seeing people taking care of their pets, BUT.......lol

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vincebae View Post
    Obviously the OP is talking about the ones you get from Fast Food joints, or at best prepared in vegetable oils.

Casey is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I love this - it is exactly where I am at right now. Remove (all carbs, they are horrible for my body right now) and I am in the midst of repair - eating good, losing weight, exercising, calming everything down, and feeling GREAT.

We'll see at some point about restoring some carbs, absolutely in their natural state (oh I am sad to see you go, Krispy Kreme). But for now my body thanks me every day with so much energy, so much sleep! and so much less bloating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast