Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you resist temptation? page

november is offline Member

How do you resist temptation?

Shop Now
    So I came home from a stressful day of work and realized there wasn’t much in the refrigerator, too tired to head to the co-op where I usually shop. Start mindlessly crunching on some gluten free sesame crackers, polish off of a watermelon, and the carbs are already triggering a binge response so I think about ordering a gluten free pizza (gluten free so it won’t be a problem, right? right?) and maybe getting some ice cream because I HAD A REALLY BAD DAY AND I DESERVE SOME FLEETING PLEASURE IN LIFE DAMMIT. Then I stop and think about whether the momentary gratification will be worth the weekend of carb-and-dairy bingeing that will inevitably ensue, so I pull myself together, make a 3-egg omelet with butter, steamed frozen broccoli with olive oil and miso, and a cup of raspberry leaf herbal tea. Ten minutes after eating I feel balanced, relaxed, and capable of unwinding slightly. Read a book, did some school work, planning to do some yoga in a few minutes. I feel like I averted a minor disaster since I was headed for a full one stress-induced bingeing episode followed by a whole lot of guilt and inertia…it usually takes me days if not weeks to recover from these, esp. if wheat or lots of dairy is involved. Has anyone else caught themselves on the brink of a binge and realized how much better life is when you stick to primal eating? What do you think stopped you then versus other times you did cave in to the craving? I honestly don’t know what it was today that made me say no, my overall wellbeing is worth morethan the brief hedonistic bliss of pizza and ice cream (not that everyone would be so thrown by these foods, but I’m unfortunately incapable of enjoying them in moderation since any deviation from PB makes me feel so ill). Any strategies that work especially well for you?
    Last edited by november; 07-31-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Eat a steak

A bone in ribeye cures all.

peril is offline Senior Member
    What tempation? To eat more meat or vegetables? I just surrender
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    November, the omelette was a great choice and I'm sure you're glad you made it. Maybe it was indeed the memory of previous unhappy episodes that gave you the strength to resist the lure of junk. Your advance planning - eggs available but no pizza actually in the house - also helped. You're getting more primal every day and this occasion has served to make you even stronger for next time. One day, the thought of pizza probably won't even enter your mind and certainly won't feel like a temptation. Grok on

jilly is offline Member
    Glad you were able to avoid the binge that you felt was coming! As a recovering binger, I feel your pain. I feel like every day I have to remind myself why I chose this lifestyle, what I'm trying to get from it, and what would happen if I continue to binge and gain weight. I have several goals in the next coming months that I keep in the front of my mind to stop me from being tempted. I just went to the store and I was SUPER tempted by sushi with rice (there are worse things to eat but the rice would open the gate for me to eat more worse things) cookies and cake in the bakery, beer, wine... all the things I used to splurge on when I was in the mood you described as "I've had a bad day, I deserve something yummy" But I realize that I have too many things riding on my health, my potential weight loss, and my overall happiness. Maybe one day we won't want to binge and we will be happy with the lifestyle of looking and feeling our best. That's what has been helping me recently. Keep up the good work

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Eat a steak

A bone in ribeye cures all.
    This response is perfect.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    No real strategy - if I'm hungry then I eat any food that is in my fridge/pantry ( or my lunch pack if I'm at work).

What food you stock is key.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    yes, just only have in stuff that is acceptable, then you can just eat anything at any time

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    yes, just only have in stuff that is acceptable, then you can just eat anything at any time
    Me too, I learned that doing calorie-control type stuff, one hour before bedtime isn't the place to have a battle with youraself, decisions are best made in the store when you're well fed and primed with a list!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Go out and sprint full blast for 1mn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast