Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you resist temptation? page 3

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Plan in advance. Have some other snacks around. Nuts have good crunch and so do carrot sticks and celery. Cheese helps me; my snack of choice is a red BabyBel. And focus on the positive, not the negative. If will power means "stay away, stay away, evil, stay away" it's only a matter of time before your obsession will break down. On the other hand if you say "I'm healthy, happy, and am going to be around to swing the grandkids on the playground and take them on hikes" then you have a positive. Besides Primal eating can be delicious, just as good as crap eating. Don't beat yourself up, don't make it some kind of deep moral or character failure and keep your eye on the star. As they say in my hospital, start where you are and continuously improve.
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    Had a cake made for my promotion ceremony yesterday. I looked at it and walked away. I didn't even consider it edible. After 8 months 100% primal I wasn't even tempted by it.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Those saying "just don't keep junk in your house" and "just binge every once in a while; no harm no foul" don't know what life is like for those of us with extreme cravings, and I"m glad they don't. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Those who do know what it's like know that when the cravings get strong enough, we will drive to the store to buy crap, regardless of the time of day, and that one binge leads to a thousand; there is no "just binge and get over it."

From your statement below, I think you will benefit most from getting Julia Ross' The Diet Cure and reading the section on endorphin depletion. The advice about a solid protein breakfast (4-5oz meat/eggs), plus 4oz protein for lunch and again for dinner, not avoiding fat, not cutting calories, and taking DPA + an essential amino complex may well save your life.

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Start mindlessly crunching on some gluten free sesame crackers, polish off ¼ of a watermelon, and the carbs are already triggering a binge response so I think about ordering a gluten free pizza (gluten free so it won’t be a problem, right? right?) and maybe getting some ice cream because I HAD A REALLY BAD DAY AND I DESERVE SOME FLEETING PLEASURE IN LIFE DAMMIT. Then I stop and think about whether the momentary gratification will be worth the weekend of carb-and-dairy bingeing that will inevitably ensue
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123