Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strengthening the back for deadlift page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Strengthening the back for deadlift

Shop Now
    What do you think are the best among these for strengthening my back? Best meaning they would be effective with a relatively lower risk for injury.

Seated cable row
    Trap bar
    Cable
    Smith machine
    Lever machine
    Hyperextension

Anything else not on this list?

I hurt myself deadlifting and do not want to deadlift anymore. I'm willing to do other things to strengthen my back however. I will perhaps revisit the idea of deadlift in the future but not now.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Trap bar is great.

What kind of injury is it? Heavy bent-over rows really hit my whole back. Front squats, making sure to keep everything tight and tense.

I know I'm missing a lot, but my brain is blanking, atm.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    RDL, SLDL, Good Morning, Weighted hyper.

Trap bar's job is to largely diminish the back's contribution to the deadlift.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    i may be crazy. i would still recommend DL but with lower weights. weight out your injury and start small.
    Few but ripe.

seaweed is online now Senior Member
    i do weighted good mornings. i started with the bar, which is 20kgs, and am up to 45kgs right now. i do 5 sets of 10 supersetted with my deadlifts. i did 3 x 70kgs deadlift at the end today and i didnt feel it in my lower back. with the good mornings tho, i would even start with just a broomstick and concentrate on form if you have a sore back. i also do hyper flies with dumbbells and the odd straight legged deadlift with just the bar to warm up.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    i may be crazy. i would still recommend DL but with lower weights. weight out your injury and start small.
    i would agree with this, I've been doing squats this past few months and although my muscles probably could have jumped up faster i was getting a twinge in my right hand ribs at the back. My trainer said, sometimes the infrastructure and support take longer than the pure strength to get to a particular place. Sure enough, this week i managed failure with no back twinging,

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    I'd second what Seaweed said about good mornings.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    To be honest, I don't think I will ever deadlift again. The pain I have now is sciatica. It gets worse every day. It started when my back fell apart a couple weeks ago on deadlift. I cannot trust myself to do deadlift properly. I feel that I have screwed up my future life as an old lady, the one I had all mapped out to be a series of adventures.

In reality, I would never lift anything heavy in the manner of a deadlift anyway. Never have and never will. I would normally either do what you would do to flip a tire, which is to get underneath and push something up, or I would drag an item. Anything I actually lift by bending over is not heavy.

Nevertheless, I will keep squatting and I'm not averse to continuing to strengthen my back and body in other ways.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    To be honest, I don't think I will ever deadlift again. The pain I have now is sciatica. It gets worse every day. It started when my back fell apart a couple weeks ago on deadlift. I cannot trust myself to do deadlift properly. I feel that I have screwed up my future life as an old lady, the one I had all mapped out to be a series of adventures.

In reality, I would never lift anything heavy in the manner of a deadlift anyway. Never have and never will. I would normally either do what you would do to flip a tire, which is to get underneath and push something up, or I would drag an item. Anything I actually lift by bending over is not heavy.

Nevertheless, I will keep squatting and I'm not averse to continuing to strengthen my back and body in other ways.
    Do the tire flips then.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i'd be uber wary of tire flips. it's not nearly as controlled of a motion as a deadlift and 99% of people are doing them incorrectly to begin with. a proper tire flip, with a properly sized tire, should emulate a lineman getting down in to a 3/4 point stance, chest to tire, and driving forward with the legs in order to get the edge of the tire off the ground. the deadlift-style if tire flipping isn't ideal for most people (despite the fact that is what most people do) and definitely compromises the back ever so slightly.

to strengthen the posterior chain, i'd go with the sldl, rdl, good morning, hyper combo that RM mentioned. i'd also throw in glute-ham raises instead of just hyperextensions.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast