Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strengthening the back for deadlift page 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Foundation Training looks pretty interesting based on the TED video and other content there. Thanks for the link.
    No problem. Its actually a whole lot tougher than it looks to get through the intermediate and advanced programs in the book. But when your done you get that "stable" feeling.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    In reality, I would never lift anything heavy in the manner of a deadlift anyway. Never have and never will. I would normally either do what you would do to flip a tire, which is to get underneath and push something up, or I would drag an item. Anything I actually lift by bending over is not heavy.
    i dont think i have ever done a dead lift movement irl either. i deadlift coz i like it as it is hard and it makes me feel like i have done something really taxing. i do have strong hammies which is also where i feel a dead lift. i think at the end of the day you need to do things coz they work for you and you enjoy them and also what your goals are. i'm an old lady lol so i am always mindful of the need for doing things i can keep doing forever. the other thing i have found with my exercising in general is the need for flexibility in my approach so it is not the End Of The World as we know it if you cant do say a deadlift. i've sat on my ass once and gained 6kgs when i had an ankle injury and couldnt run. never again. last time i injured my ankle, i concentrated on upper body which is also when i finally managed a chin up.

if you use the hammies in deadlifts, maybe try some lunges to complement the squats and some other exercises to strengthen the posterior chain? i actually have to almost dead lift the dumbbells when i lunge anyways as they are so heavy. so by the time i have done 3 sets of 20 lunges. depending on if i have put the dumbbells down after each 10 when i change direction or not, i have done potentially 6 lighter deadlifts ( 42-46kgs instead of 50-70 kgs ) in split movements. up, lunge the weights, down. this may also be a way of incorporating lighter dead lifts incidentally while you are healing.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    To be honest, I don't think I will ever deadlift again. The pain I have now is sciatica. It gets worse every day. It started when my back fell apart a couple weeks ago on deadlift. I cannot trust myself to do deadlift properly. I feel that I have screwed up my future life as an old lady, the one I had all mapped out to be a series of adventures.

In reality, I would never lift anything heavy in the manner of a deadlift anyway. Never have and never will. I would normally either do what you would do to flip a tire, which is to get underneath and push something up, or I would drag an item. Anything I actually lift by bending over is not heavy.

Nevertheless, I will keep squatting and I'm not averse to continuing to strengthen my back and body in other ways.
    I have had sciatica. The first time was when I was pregnant and my son was sitting on my hip. The last few times have been because of SI joint dysfunction. I had PT for it but the joint kept going out of alignment so I had the therapist show me things to do to realign the joint.

You might want look into SI joint issues to see if that might be what is at the root of your sciatica.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I just tried and fell on my ass..... I know knees shouldn't shoot forward, but aiming for absolutely no ankle flexion and a perpendicular tibia seems a little extreme to me.

Oh wait I was at absolute bottom ATG when I tried.... maybe they mean at a higher level?
    I can't imagine it makes a difference. Unless you're holding a railing, you're assplanting, or I'm interpreting the instructions incorrectly.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Thanks seaweed for your understanding. And everybody else, too.

I was looking around the web and it seems that good mornings are recommended a lot. They don't look very intuitive. I can't imagine how they would be possible with any real weight. I will try them though. I know my problems are all in my weak glutes and stiff hamstrings. I'm stretching and wood and tennis ball rolling the hell out of myself trying to get better.

I have only ever had sciatica before with ill-fitting backpacks. And I used to have a habit of looping my thumb in my backpack hip belt until eventually it started to make part of my leg go numb. I think the neural wiring around that area is not so good.

I feel bad about not deadlifting anymore because it was my favorite lift. But now squats and overhead presses will be my favorite lifts and if all I can manage to fit in my time is squats, press, bench and pullup attempts I think it'll be enough for this old lady. I just really really hope I don't have to bail partway through my big backpack trip in Glacier starting next week. I have saved all my time for the entire year for this trip. Do you have any idea how hard it is to not take a day off for a year? And to have it ruined by the deadlift would be horrible.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Thanks seaweed for your understanding. And everybody else, too.

I was looking around the web and it seems that good mornings are recommended a lot. They don't look very intuitive. I can't imagine how they would be possible with any real weight. I will try them though. I know my problems are all in my weak glutes and stiff hamstrings.
    You won't do them with much weight at all. Just keep telling yourself "erectors engaged, hip hinge." I still think you should try some sumo pulls. I consider it a different exercise than deadlifts, even if they're both legal as a "deadlift" in competition.

I'm stretching and wood and tennis ball rolling the hell out of myself trying to get better.
    Do you have a pull-up bar with ab straps? Or one of those dip towers that you can rest your elbows on? I've found that a little decompression/traction goes a long way on your type of injury.

I feel bad about not deadlifting anymore because it was my favorite lift. But now squats and overhead presses will be my favorite lifts and if all I can manage to fit in my time is squats, press, bench and pullup attempts I think it'll be enough for this old lady. I just really really hope I don't have to bail partway through my big backpack trip in Glacier starting next week. I have saved all my time for the entire year for this trip. Do you have any idea how hard it is to not take a day off for a year? And to have it ruined by the deadlift would be horrible.
    Hope your trip turns out well. Try the decompression, and if you have to take ibuprofen or naproxen sodium to get through it, then suck it up and heal your liver after you get back.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Oh wait I was at absolute bottom ATG when I tried.... maybe they mean at a higher level?
    Yes - my bad for saying bottom of a squat - just stick your ass and hips as far behind you as possible while making your shins perpindicular (knees back). Great ham stretch as well.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Yes - my bad for saying bottom of a squat - just stick your ass and hips as far behind you as possible while making your shins perpindicular (knees back). Great ham stretch as well.
    Still confused. Can you post a photo/video?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You won't do them with much weight at all. Just keep telling yourself "erectors engaged, hip hinge." I still think you should try some sumo pulls. I consider it a different exercise than deadlifts, even if they're both legal as a "deadlift" in competition.

Do you have a pull-up bar with ab straps? Or one of those dip towers that you can rest your elbows on? I've found that a little decompression/traction goes a long way on your type of injury.

Hope your trip turns out well. Try the decompression, and if you have to take ibuprofen or naproxen sodium to get through it, then suck it up and heal your liver after you get back.
    Fortunately my liver seems to be a fairly hardy organ. On my PCT hike I sometimes took 12 ibuprofen at a time without trouble.

I think the dip tower has elbow rests. I found some stretches online called "neural flossing" plus a few others that seem to help.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You might also want to try some piraformis stretches. Google it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast