Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian - Absolutely no energy: HELP! page

Vegetarian - Absolutely no energy: HELP!

Shop Now
    I turned a vegetarian female co-worker on to PB, 9 days ago. 42 years old, overweight and has been vegetarian for the past ~25 years. She has dropped 5 pounds already, however since beginning she has ZERO energy. Completely lethargic and wants to sleep all the time. (Had a little carb flu, but that's gone now)

I *think* that I know the answer already, but I wanted to ask all the giant brains out there if they agree.

A sample day for her:

Breakfast-
    No fat yogurt with built-in "blueberries"
    Banana

Snack-
    Plant based protein shake (contains 25g of protein)

Lunch-
    Medium salad with spinach, onions, almonds, oranges, vinagarette dressing
    One packet of Tuna salad (contains 13g of protein)

Snack-
    Six macadamia nuts

Dinner-
    One tomato
    One avacado
    Small bowl of cottage cheese
    Small sweet potato

She also tells me that just before beginning PB, she had started some type of over the counter appetite suppressor pills, plus some type of "detox-flush" thingy. (No idea what that is all about)

She is willing to eat fish, seafoods and eggs for protein however has not really ramped up to do so yet.

Anyway, my thought is that she is not getting anywhere near enough protein & fats, thus the complete lethargy and sleepyness.

What can she do differently & still be a happy vegetarian?
    Your thoughts???
    Heaviest: 1-22-2012 = 203 lbs, of being skinny fat, beginning PB
    Current: = 182 lbs. 14% body fat.
    Goal: 175 lbs. was made in April 2013.

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    Uh, she needs way more protein and fat, esp at breakfast. Maybe a big omelet?

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
    She is willing to eat fish, seafoods and eggs for protein however has not really ramped up to do so yet.

Anyway, my thought is that she is not getting anywhere near enough protein & fats, thus the complete lethargy and sleepyness.

What can she do differently & still be a happy vegetarian?
    Your thoughts???
    Those are my thoughts too, more fat especially, and more protein, start her on fish tinned in brine if she finds the idea of handling it gross - I was getting more protein per day than her tuna provides by combining dairy (cheddar) with grains at breakfast, and legumes with grains at main meals.

My second thought is that I spent 20 years vege myself and would have still thought that was a horrendously sugary diet, even then when carbs per se were not something I focused on.

If she's choosing no-fat yoghurt, vinaigrette and cottage cheese she's probably avoiding eating fat (which, duh, but maybe hasn't noticed it herself) and that's probably the first one to address? JMO, not an expert or anything but I did have a similar diet to hers for almost as long.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Agree with everyone.

How does she feel about butter and cream? Those are some pretty energy dense sources for her.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Good...you guys are thinking the same thing I am: Not enough of the good stuff in her diet.

She is currently reading Mark's book that I lended her, but as a vegetarian I think she is having a hard time wrapping her mind around some of the conceptual issues such as, "Eating fat won't make you fat" and reversing the food pyramid.

She *should* be OK with the butter and cream idea. (Bulletproof coffee comes to mind when you mentioned that) She mainly needs more "vegetarian approved protein" ideas I think. After so many years of eating the way she has been, it's a big leap to place proteins & fats in the forefront.

Keep the ideas coming!!
    Heaviest: 1-22-2012 = 203 lbs, of being skinny fat, beginning PB
    Current: = 182 lbs. 14% body fat.
    Goal: 175 lbs. was made in April 2013.

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    Lady D summed it up well.

Get her to replace the "fat free yogurt" with real greek yogurt with the fat.
    Can she move on to bacon and eggs yet?

The protein shake probably isn't helping much either, drinking meals is not a good idea.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Get her eating plenty of legumes. I know they're not primal approved, but they're not that bad and no problem being accepted by a vegetarian
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
    She mainly needs more "vegetarian approved protein" ideas I think.
    Do you know her main reason/s for being vegetarian? That might help find things she'll be okay with eating, although without anything to go by, I can't think of an example that doesn't sound daft.

When I started eating meat again, because animal welfare was my key reason, I researched and read up on slaughtering methods in Britain, and decided that I could live with those, when compared to the gruesome, painful, and frightening ways ALL animals die in the wild, with untreated diseases or ripped apart, or starved or frozen, etc...

It's a personal thing but my main turning point was my lovely dog getting cancer, seeing him struggle during the onset when they were still diagnosing it annd getting his meds right, knowing that painkillers were his sole way of having quality of life for a few weeks so he enjoyed his life (he was a rescue dog who'd not had much fun, and got sick after just 6 months with me... broke my heart), then the mercy of the day he was put to sleep after a rapid overnight decline, and really having that first-hand experience of watching an animal die and seeing how hard and nasty that death would have been without interventions from humanity.

It made me rethink whether farming and then killing animals was so bad, and obviously I'm not talking about horrible botched slaughters where cows are skinned alive, or pigs scalded to death, which I know ALL about due to my years being very against meat, and that's why, now, I support Compassion In World Farming and other groups that support high welfare but don't actively oppose the basic thing of raising animals to eat.

Sorry to ramble but I'm trying to give you a peep into what made one veggie really turn round, and without abandoning my core values, more a case of seeing things from a broader perspective.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    How and why does a person eat only six macadamia nuts? If you want to eat yogurt, get the full fat kind. Also, bulletproof coffee is vegetarian...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    She lost 25 lbs. You will always feel low
    In energy after dieting hard (for weight loss) for a long enough time.

My suggestion? She can go for maintenance for a while but that will slow down the weight loss. It's her choice. If she's got a lot to lose, then it might be better off to continue losing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast